What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This Season Rests On Dom's Shoulders

I sure hope so Nik. I think we can get to the NIT if he develops some consistency with outside shooting so that the D can't lay back and play the drive. One thing I've noticed is that he's much better attacking the rim from the left side for obvious reasons. If he can be as effective from the right side he'll help this team out a great deal. Draw the help-D over to him opening up Scott/Gordon

Very depressing if the ceiling is a shot at the NIT IF Dom develops.

I certainly am not writing off a spot in the dance this season. Hoping last year was an abberation and Tad gets the train back on the rails.

I'd certainly hate for Josh to go out that way.

Is this the consensus? Are we hoping for an NIT invite?

Very depressing if the ceiling is a shot at the NIT IF Dom develops.

I certainly am not writing off a spot in the dance this season. Hoping last year was an abberation and Tad gets the train back on the rails.

I'd certainly hate for Josh to go out that way.

Is this the consensus? Are we hoping for an NIT invite?

No. NCAA is possible. Just a lot of variables.

Tad on Periscope just now---"Dom is the guy....Thomas, hopefully, can play both positions"

Seems Tad's hope is Akyazili can be the first backup to Fortune & Collier. Hopefully, XT has been relegated to Eli minutes.

Tad on Periscope just now---"Dom is the guy....Thomas, hopefully, can play both positions"

Seems Tad's hope is Akyazili can be the first backup to Fortune & Collier. Hopefully, XT has been relegated to Eli minutes.
Well the good news is that Tad recognizes his recruiting whiffs. Akyazili stepping up to take the backup minutes would be very welcome.

First of all, everyone needs to give @Goose a "WTF". Creating tables is a lot of hard work and that was great info on top of that.

Regarding the thread topic, Dom needs to play like the 4* POY guy he was recruited to be. Last year better be a throw-away.

Don't care about tables; care about performance. Ski had "favorables" when graphed out in tables. He sucked as a leader, teacher and teammate because he was all about Ski. Dom appears to have matured and should have figured out some things watching Ski, the old negative example stuff. I also think he'll be pushed by the FR Euro, to his own benefit and the team's as well..

I am officially worried about this season. Based on the scrimmage and Tad's notes it sounds like Tory Miller is our most improved (hopefully Dom was right behind him) and Talton outplayed Dom in the scrimmage. Right now we know that Josh is the leader, the best player on the team and one of the best big men in the conference, but if we can shoot from the outside or find feed him the ball in the low post, none of that will matter. I don't want another season where Josh gets the ball at the free throw line with his back to the basket.

Understand what you're saying tante, but I really like the fact that Tory is our most improved player. I have high hopes he comes up big time as a jr/sr. Talton...I don't know why lots of people seem to dog on him. I think Talton can play. Is he the leader of an NCAA tournament team, no, but can he be the starting pg on an NCAA team, in my opinion, yes. Of course, he is limited. But a senior leader beating a sophomore isn't the most discouraging. I do agree that Dom is the key to this season though. Him and Fortune are key, moreso in my opinion than running the offense through Scott, who I love but don't necessarily regard in as high esteem as some of you others on this board.

I have high hopes for this team. Addition by subtraction - I respect Ski, but I couldn't stand watching him play at times. Offense is stagnant with the ball in his hands, and I see this team being better on the court without Ski hogging the shots and ball...just need Fortune to replace the shots (not quantity though).

So if we use those numbers, what can we expect to see Dom put up this upcoming season?

Stat | %Min | ORtg | %Poss | %Shots | eFG% | TS% | OR% | DR% | ARate | TORate | Blk% | Stl% Frosh |42|87.3|17.6|17.8|41|44.1|1.9|8.1|15|22.7|1|1.9
Soph Proj A |54|94.9|17|18.5|43.8|46.7|103.9|8|17.3|18.7|1.5|2
Soph Proj B |65|95.5|18.6|20.6|43.8|47.1|1|7.8|18|17.7|1.2|1.7

And in "big picture" numbers?

Stat | PPG | RPG | APG Frosh |4.7|1.7|1.5
Soph Proj A |5.7|1.7|1.7
Soph Proj B |7.1|2.0|1.9

So, let's hope Dom exceeds the statistical expectations.

Dan Hanner thinks Dom will do better than my back of envelope calculations. Which is good because Hanner is very smart and I am not.

Stat | PPG | RPG | APG | ORtg | Poss | Min Dom |9.8|3.2|2.7|96.4|20%|77%

I think Dom needs to be around 5 assists a game for this offense to be truly effective. Not as concerned about the PPG. 2.7 would be a disappointment with his court vision and passing skills IMO.

well, that's not as efficient as I'd like, but it does seem serviceable (not to mention a big step up from last year).

You mean put up numbers that not even Spencer Dinwiddie did in his time here?

He is a different point guard though, he will not score near as much as Dinwiddie but I definitely think he can surpass his assist numbers. Spencer was asked to dominate the ball and score while Dom will not be. Dom doesn't have the finishing ability Dinwiddie did either so he will be passing around the hoop a lot more. Booker averaged more than 3 last year and he hated passing so hopefully Dom can get a couple more a game.

He is a different point guard though, he will not score near as much as Dinwiddie but I definitely think he can surpass his assist numbers. Spencer was asked to dominate the ball and score while Dom will not be. Dom doesn't have the finishing ability Dinwiddie did either so he will be passing around the hoop a lot more. Booker averaged more than 3 last year and he hated passing so hopefully Dom can get a couple more a game.

You mean put up numbers that not even Spencer Dinwiddie did in his time here?

I think we are ignoring how Tad's "offense" works no one has ever averaged even 4 assists per-game, even Dinwiddie who for my tastes deferred too much to his teammates his JR year. The assist is just not something that we have seen in any kind of quantity from Boyles teams (average 10-12 per game last 4 years) expecting Dom who still needs to mature to average 33% better than a guy in the league, and on paper cause the team to average 20-30% more assists per game than they have for the past 4 seasons is not realistic.

I really hope Dom's ready for the next step. This thread title is very appropriate.

I'm excited for this season/team. I'm looking forward to a fun season.

I think we are ignoring how Tad's "offense" works no one has ever averaged even 4 assists per-game, even Dinwiddie who for my tastes deferred too much to his teammates his JR year. The assist is just not something that we have seen in any kind of quantity from Boyles teams (average 10-12 per game last 4 years) expecting Dom who still needs to mature to average 33% better than a guy in the league, and on paper cause the team to average 20-30% more assists per game than they have for the past 4 seasons is not realistic.

Yeah that is true, I was just saying I don't think comparing Dom's game to Spencer's is a good comparison. They are completely different guards IMO and will be asked to do different things. There were examples last year of Dom making passes that Spencer never did and that is why I am hopeful for his assist numbers this year. I am not saying it will happen I just said it needs to happen for the offense to be truly effective.

As abs said -- the system matters.

Think of Nate. Skilled scorers all around him his Jr. and Sr. seasons and he did nothing but distribute the ball. Not like even he was putting up the assist numbers some people think Dom should achieve.

As abs said -- the system matters.

Think of Nate. Skilled scorers all around him his Jr. and Sr. seasons and he did nothing but distribute the ball. Not like even he was putting up the assist numbers some people think Dom should achieve.
Nate averaged 2.5 APG

I don't buy into the PG being the most critical piece on this team. If Scott goes down, the team has no chance at the NIT. With Scott, there is at least minimal hope for an invitation to the dance. If Dom plays marginally better than he did last year, it is not good enough to impact the team significantly. XT can dribble up court and dump it down to Scott. This is Scott's team and as he goes, the team will go. If Tad wants to run everything thru DOM and not down to Scott, getting another CBI bid will be a longshot. Tad will also lose any shot at other big recruits (they watch and understand what is going), if he has an All-American C yet runs the offense thru a under-developed PG.
I am absolutely worried about this season, but not because of Dom's growth, rather Tad's downfall, lack of recruiting and the impact that has for future years. The Football team has a more promising future than the current basketball program.
I disagree with many on here that XT is a trainwreck. He is a Sr. guard, who has logged significant minutes in every season at CU, which says a lot given the guards in front of him during his tenure (Spencer and Ski). I definitely think that assuming an unproven Akyazili will outperform XT is absurd. Akyazili may log more minutes under Tad, but that in no way makes him better. There is disfunction in this program today!
In order to get an invitation to the NCAA tournament, this team will be based on IF's and Homeruns: Scott needs to stay healthy and average a minimum of 20/10. Gordon needs average close to a double/double. Fletcher needs to have a break-pout season with double digit points and all around numbers with minimal turnovers. Dom must be the 4* player he was recruited to be, now. Fortune needs to hit double digits and lead by example. King/Miller must combine for quality, high level P5 Defense and not be a cog on offense. XT must reach his potential that he showed more consistently his Sophomore season. IF all that happens, they have a shot. Just as I have a shot at the lottery tonight, it can happen.

@JRourk -- I think everyone looks at Scott as a "given". Of course it's his team. He'll go around 16/10 this year and play excellent team defense while also getting some disruptive shot blocks.

But that's not enough by itself. We need a consistent motor from Wes. We need to knock down shots. We need to defend like the Buffs are supposed to defend. And we need to attack the rim. Much of that comes through the point. Is our PG getting Wes involved without neglecting Scott (i.e., every half court set sees a touch from the 5 or 4)? Is he shooting well enough to keep the defense honest and open the court? Is our PG able to disrupt the game of the opposing PG on the defensive end? Is he able to beat his man off the dribble and finish or get fouled at the rim?

NO ONE WAS ABLE TO DO THOSE THINGS LAST SEASON. But Dom flashed on all those things. Which is why -- knowing we need all that and knowing Dom might be capable of delivering it -- that we say "the season rests on Dom's shoulders" in this thread. If CU gets NCAA Tourney level PG play, the Buffs will be Dancing again this year. If we have a CBI level back court again this season, that's the tournament we're looking at.

When it comes to point guards, as we all know, there are abilities other than what shows up in the statistic of assists. Nate Tomlinson, for instance, may only have logged 2.5apg, but his ability to keep the ball moving, protected, and direct the offense was where he shined. Not to mention his absolutely lock-down defense. Dom has more athletic ability than Nate, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders (vision, intellect, intuition, etc). If he can man-up, keep the ball moving, see the lanes, direct the half-court (which he surely can), it'll be like doubling those assist statistics. Whatever that means.

Running an offense through the big guy can mean many things. I'd rather see the offense stay in Dom and Fortune's hands the entire thirty seconds than have it run through Scott out at the three point line! Which was the primary offense last year. And frankly, "dribbling up court and dumping down to Scott" involves a lot more than what it sounds like. XT can certainly dribble up the court and dump it to Scott at the top of the arch. Dumping it to him down low means directing the offense and having good vision. One of these guards, for the love of the game of basketball, has to be able to do that.

This will be an extremely average Bball team this year. If it's fun for you guys to hope otherwise for the sake of conversation then so be it, but its pretty obvious.

This will be an extremely average Bball team this year. If it's fun for you guys to hope otherwise for the sake of conversation then so be it, but its pretty obvious.
Saw this, and once I noted who made it, immediately called my bookie and doubled down on the Buffs as a Dance participant.

If PAHI says they're average, they're far better than that!

We should have an above average front court, but our perimeter play is the big question mark. The season will come down to a couple of things. Good defense is first and then if Dom can be a steady floor general or not. If Dom can be somewhere near a 3 to 1 assist/to ratio and a 35% 3pt pctg shooter, we'll have a good chance to be in the top half of the Pac-12. My big worry about this team is that we don't have the one on one guy, slasher guy (aka burks, dinwiddie, even booker), who we can give the ball to with seconds left in the shot clock and create a basket. Maybe Fortune or King is that guy, but I think our best slasher has to sit out this year, Derrick White.

Back