What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This Season Rests On Dom's Shoulders

Saw this, and once I noted who made it, immediately called my bookie and doubled down on the Buffs as a Dance participant.

If PAHI says they're average, they're far better than that!

Good news all around. We're just using different terminology. I think "average" can get you into the NIT because over half the teams in the NIT each year are not good.
I think you can be "extremely average", become a 10 or 11 seed in the Dance and lose in the first round. Keep in mind that part of college BBall is a record-padding exercise to various extents, given the scheduling of gimme OOC games. You barely have to play better than .500 to .600 conference Bball in a number of conferences to have a shot at the Dance. I wasn't shaming the Buffs. Maybe some chemistry will jell. Maybe newcomers will surprise. But you're minus XJ, Scott has durability issues, and Collier is still young. Hoping for the best.

So far So good.

Dom looks good. King looks good. Fortune looks good. Addition by subtraction with XJ.

The main negative is that Fletcher is absolutely lost out there. That could be good though as others get his minutes.

So far So good.

Dom looks good. King looks good. Fortune looks good. Addition by subtraction with XJ.

The main negative is that Fletcher is absolutely lost out there. That could be good though as others get his minutes.
"Addition by subtraction with XJ?" BS. I'd take XJ back in a New York second.

So far So good.

Agree with first three statements, disagree with last three.

Only if we develop an identity early that this offense goes through Scott. I don't really trust anyone else I have seen to run the show. Dump it in to Scott and let him dictate the game.

It's rare in college ball to have a Senior leader with Josh's skills still around. He, along with the maturation of Dom and the explosion of King's skills could make this a heck of a year.

Dom today: 7 points, SEVEN (7) ASSISTS, 2 steals. ORTg of 110 in 24 minutes (his season high is 25 at ISU).

+/- while he was in= +27. (Thanks @BuffStampede)

Coming along nicely. If only he can stop collecting fouls, we know the answer to the Dom question. We may already know it.

As for the OP, Az may be giving us an option at PG that we didn't know we had. Dude is a capable PG. it's nice to have both of those guys.

Team is looking a lot more like the kind of team Tad likes to have.

Depth, a number of athletic wings who can play inside or out on both ends of the floor, bigs who can allow the wings to pressure on defense knowing that they have someone behind them if the pressure gets beat.

More than that a team with a number of guys who can score and with different guys stepping up to score on different nights.

Most importantly it seems like the team is bought in, doesn't have the selfish attitudes and temper tantrums that made last season less enjoyable than it could have been.

Still some issues. Az has shown to be a capable backup but we will need Dom's athleticism on the floor to match up in the PAC. Also need Tory to get more consistent to be able to give him minutes when we are playing the bigger teams and Scott and Wes need a blow.

Tory needs to get some meaningful minutes this year because he's going to be a big part of the frontcourt next year.

As for the OP, Az may be giving us an option at PG that we didn't know we had. Dude is a capable PG. it's nice to have both of those guys.

I am beyond thrilled with Yaz. We now have a backup PG for the next 4 years - something I was legitimately worried about prior to this season. He's playing smart D, he keeps things moving, and he's everything you want in a backup PG. But the hype train on this has gotten ridiculous. He has a 106.5 ORtg for the season, but a large portion of that is because of the Air Force game where he had 8 points on 0 missed shots and 2 assists to 0 turnovers (227 ORtg). Against Ken Pom "Tier A & B" competition (CSU, Auburn & Iowa State), he's only got an ORtg of 66.5. In those three games he's also scored 7 points and had 0 assists to 2 turnovers. Yaz is also only drawing 1.9 fouls per 40 minutes and is only getting to the line 11.5% of the time.

Meanwhile, Dom has an ORtg of 103.8 (102.2 vs Tier A & B). He's only been below 100 in three games this year (UNC, Portland and ISU) and has an ARate of 27.4 for the year. Now his TORate is 26.9, but that largely can be contributed to the ISU game (6 turnovers) and UNC game (4 turnovers). He's also drawing 3.5 fouls a game and getting to the line 26.1% of the time. Not to mention he's shooting 47% from 3 and has higher eFG% (51.1% to 50%) and TS% (56.1% to 51%) than Yaz.

Now if you want to debate quality minutes between XT & Yaz, that's 100% fair (and judging by the second half of the game yesterday, it looks like Tad has made his mind up there). And this isn't fully directed at you Sacky because I've seen a lot of people suggest this over the last week, but the Dom vs Yaz debate is like arguing who would win in a game between the Denver Broncos and the Buffs - the two are just on completely different levels right now and you can't compare them.

I am beyond thrilled with Yaz. We now have a backup PG for the next 4 years - something I was legitimately worried about prior to this season. He's playing smart D, he keeps things moving, and he's everything you want in a backup PG. But the hype train on this has gotten ridiculous. He has a 106.5 ORtg for the season, but a large portion of that is because of the Air Force game where he had 8 points on 0 missed shots and 2 assists to 0 turnovers (227 ORtg). Against Ken Pom "Tier A & B" competition (CSU, Auburn & Iowa State), he's only got an ORtg of 66.5. In those three games he's also scored 7 points and had 0 assists to 2 turnovers. Yaz is also only drawing 1.9 fouls per 40 minutes and is only getting to the line 11.5% of the time.

Meanwhile, Dom has an ORtg of 103.8 (102.2 vs Tier A & B). He's only been below 100 in three games this year (UNC, Portland and ISU) and has an ARate of 27.4 for the year. Now his TORate is 26.9, but that largely can be contributed to the ISU game (6 turnovers) and UNC game (4 turnovers). He's also drawing 3.5 fouls a game and getting to the line 26.1% of the time. Not to mention he's shooting 47% from 3 and has higher eFG% (51.1% to 50%) and TS% (56.1% to 51%) than Yaz.

Now if you want to debate quality minutes between XT & Yaz, that's 100% fair (and judging by the second half of the game yesterday, it looks like Tad has made his mind up there). And this isn't fully directed at you Sacky because I've seen a lot of people suggest this over the last week, but the Dom vs Yaz debate is like arguing who would win in a game between the Denver Broncos and the Buffs - the two are just on completely different levels right now and you can't compare them.
This. When Dom is playing, the team dominates. Yaz is a competent placeholder and can occasionally do more. Everything you want in a backup.

This. When Dom is playing, the team dominates. Yaz is a competent placeholder and can occasionally do more. Everything you want in a backup.

You see some serious potential in Yaz, and I think thats what has people so excited. Yaz, to me, looks like Nate did when he started here. If he can follow the same trajectory, things will be awesome for the buffs in the coming seasons.

You see some serious potential in Yaz, and I think thats what has people so excited. Yaz, to me, looks like Nate did when he started here. If he can follow the same trajectory, things will be awesome for the buffs in the coming seasons.

Even if he is "the next Nate", people are more excited about that than the fact that Dom is a potential All-P12 guy?

Even if he is "the next Nate", people are more excited about that than the fact that Dom is a potential All-P12 guy?
You know as well as I do that Tomlinson earned himself a lot of love in his senior season. Dom has yet to earn that. He will, no doubt in my mind. However seeing someone that reminds people of how Tomlinson played stirs up some serious excitement. We saw a glimpse of what Dom is capable of against CSU, and it is seriously exciting. He keeps progressing and the hype on Yaz will chill.

Hasn't helped that with his international experience, Yaz just looks more polished right now. I would say his play passes the eye ball test. Obviously Dom is putting up better numbers, he just doesn't look as smooth doing it.

doesn't remind me of Nate at all, actually. Very different games. no ability to grow a beard. No tattoos. Similarities: Foreign and white. differences: everything else.

And I don't see a lot of potential for Yaz. I think he's really maxed out his physical potential already, and you will only see small incremental improvement as he gets comfortable and learns.

I thought this was dom's best game by far. Unfortunately I got there about a minute after tip, but was pleased to see the buffs up 8 or so early. They completely fell apart after he picked up his second and had to go to the bench. He's playing well, and I think yaz will be a great backup. Didnt do anything stupid yesterday (Or any of the other days I've seen him out there). Yaz may not be as flashy, but he's a solid back up, as many have pointed out.

OK, on the Yaz - Nate comparison. I've been looking at this for a while because I'm not fully seeing it. If you look at their KenPom numbers, there are some similarities (low usage PG's, good shooters) but not everything lines up (Nate was a much better shooter, better defender and didn't foul as much). And I've been trying to figure out who Yaz reminds me of. Today, @Darth Snow may have figured it out. If you compare Yaz's freshman year numbers with XT's, they're actually pretty similar. Yaz is more efficient and XT has a lot higher TORate, but XT also has conference play numbers in there and Yaz doesn't yet.

OK, on the Yaz - Nate comparison. I've been looking at this for a while because I'm not fully seeing it. If you look at their KenPom numbers, there are some similarities (low usage PG's, good shooters) but not everything lines up (Nate was a much better shooter, better defender and didn't foul as much). And I've been trying to figure out who Yaz reminds me of. Today, @Darth Snow may have figured it out. If you compare Yaz's freshman year numbers with XT's, they're actually pretty similar. Yaz is more efficient and XT has a lot higher TORate, but XT also has conference play numbers in there and Yaz doesn't yet.

For me its a visual thing, not necessarily a stat thing. His ball handling and his effort on D just remind me of nate when he was early in his career. I think the stats pretty clearly indicate why he is a backup.

Yaz is XT without the bad programming of thinking he can do more than he can. He's a good basketball robot with quick hands. What we always needed XT to be.

Yaz is XT without the bad programming of thinking he can do more than he can. He's a good basketball robot with quick hands. What we always needed XT to be.

"Basketball robot" is a good way to put it. Dude is even keeled - which is something this team desperately needed.

"Basketball robot" is a good way to put it. Dude is even keeled - which is something this team desperately needed.
Which is not to say he won't scrap. I am not sure what happened with him and clavell in the first half for that tangle up, but he sure didn't back down.

doesn't remind me of Nate at all, actually. Very different games. no ability to grow a beard. No tattoos. Similarities: Foreign and white. differences: everything else.

And I don't see a lot of potential for Yaz. I think he's really maxed out his physical potential already, and you will only see small incremental improvement as he gets comfortable and learns.

They're about the same height, white, foreign, and play the same position.

I do think they've got that same bulldog mentality, which I love, but Nate took it to a different level -- dude would have fought Tory if he thought he wasn't getting back on defense. Both have very quick hands, which make up for some lateral quickness disadvantages. Yaz is much more in control with valuing the ball (Nate had his wtf moments when he channeled White Chocolate without being able to pull it off). Yaz has a better handle, but Nate somehow never got his pocket picked despite not being a great dribbler. Both are very good shooters, but Yaz is more aggressive looking for his shot. Nate was a stronger rebounder who could run baseline in Buzz's 1-3-1 look. Nate was more focused on pushing pace to get out and run, but was always in control on the court to bring things back and force his teammates to burn 30 seconds of clock running the offense if the break wasn't there.

Some of the comparisons are hard, though, because my clearest memories of Nate are as a senior leader. His freshman year was very up-and-down and I probably remember his flashes more than I do the knucklehead mistakes and the disappearance acts. (Kind of like how my strongest memories of Austin aren't of a skinny, confused freshman trying to be a 6'8" shooting guard.)

Anyway, I like Yaz. I liked Nate when others didn't. Lots more pressure on Yaz because he's expected to perform for a tourney team rather than be allowed to develop along with other young guys on a bad team we're patient with.

I think we've got a starter in Dom who can develop into the best PG in the Pac-12. And in a backup with Yaz, I think we've got a guy who can earn a lot of minutes and be a positive +/- when he's on the court while maintaining flow and knocking down some 3 point shots. I also think Yaz can develop into a guy who is on the court with Dom, especially in endgame situation where we need an extra ball handler, shooter and high % foul shot guy.

Which is not to say he won't scrap. I am not sure what happened with him and clavell in the first half for that tangle up, but he sure didn't back down.

That looked like Clavell just being a bitch. Perhaps he was upset that the other members of Dru Hill weren't given comped tickets for the game.

Yaz is not like XT or Tomlinson & he's not as good as Dom. Yaz is a drive & kick/shoot combo guard. He's more similar to Ski stylistically than anyone--a ball penetrator with the confidence of the 1,000 suns who sometimes sets up teammates & is streaky but not that great from 3. Tomlinson was a true PG & really efficient from 3. XT is awful at everything except for shooting occasionally. If you think Yaz is like XT bc of some similarities in KenPom #'s after 9 games then you should spend less time on KenPom & I'm on KenPom 4-5 times a week.

Saying Yaz is close to his ceiling 9 games into his career is supreme BS. Also, saying that this season rests on Dom's shoulders is looking like BS. This team is far too deep to rest on anyone's shoulders except for arguably Josh Scott.

Last edited:
Saying Yaz is close to his ceiling 9 games into his career is supreme BS. Also, saying that this season rests on Dom's shoulders is looking like BS. This team is far too deep to rest on anyone's shoulders except for arguably Josh Scott.

Agreed about say Yaz is near his ceiling at this point its silly - so far we've seen him vs 3 decent teams and hes been Ok, terrible and Ok in those games. Against softer opponents he's been a beast. He's also adjusting to a new set of rules and to not being the lead shooter. I think Yaz can get a lot better for us.

As it relates to Dom take a look at the squad against better teams when Dom's not on the floor, the difference in the ceiling of this squad with Dom playing well vs Yaz or XT running the point is probably greater than any other one player.

Agreed about say Yaz is near his ceiling at this point its silly - so far we've seen him vs 3 decent teams and hes been Ok, terrible and Ok in those games. Against softer opponents he's been a beast. He's also adjusting to a new set of rules and to not being the lead shooter. I think Yaz can get a lot better for us.

As it relates to Dom take a look at the squad against better teams when Dom's not on the floor, the difference in the ceiling of this squad with Dom playing well vs Yaz or XT running the point is probably greater than any other one player.
To be clear, I wasn't saying he was at his ceiling. I was saying his potential is limited, mostly because his physical talent appears to be close to being maxed out already.

I would never suggest Yaz was superior to Dom. I'm merely pointing out that I don't think the entire season rests on Doms shoulders. Yaz is capable enough so that Dom can have an off night or get in foul trouble and the wheels aren't going to come off the bus.

I would never suggest Yaz was superior to Dom. I'm merely pointing out that I don't think the entire season rests on Doms shoulders. Yaz is capable enough so that Dom can have an off night or get in foul trouble and the wheels aren't going to come off the bus.
The wheels basically did come off the bus against CSU after Dom picked up his 2nd foul. This is my concern when we reach PAC play. If he's not there, Yaz and XT are not good enough to keep things running smooth against strong competition.

I support what Goose has said with stats, but you also have to be a little careful. For example, Dom was out there when we took an early lead vs. CSU, but he wasn't playing well early. Yaz came in and at the same time, so did some other subs. It wasn't gel-city but I wasn't really thinking it was a Yaz issue.

Still, Dom in the 2nd half was a different ballgame.

Back