What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This should make you mad. What is SI's beef with CU?

When Embree was first hired my initial reaction was "really?" I thought some of the things he argues. But then I heard he was offered the OC at both Oregon and Buffalo Bills and figured he must be pretty well thought of in the coaching world. But after seeing him in action so far, I just grow more and more impressed. Also, a huge part of success in college coaching is being able to recruit and I think, hands down, their isn't a head coach and staff on that list that will be better than Embree, Bienemy and the gang. It'll just be more fun to prove 'em wrong.

Oh, and he gave Turner Gill an "A" last year.

a6cd08ea-a6e7-0b41.jpg

"...cheeseburger was awesome. So juicy. The pickle, the mustard, the ketchup...good stuff in-between the buns here in Minnesota"

Did we actually offer Bellotti a job?

that seemed overstated to me, as well. he clearly wasn't interest after his Boulder noise ordinance thing which is totally wrong (CU owns the housing around the practice fields)/handicaps of CU statement on the air....but, still. wasn't like we sent him hookers and a contract on national TV. maybe he was our first choice, but didn't Brady Hoke turn down Minnesota? i don't remember since i looked at the "slide show"......but i don't think the mighty Gophers got ripped for not landing their #1 guy. ?.

that Minnesota and Indiana are both mentioned....really? Big Ten also-rans....A, A- hires.....who cares? too places where coaches go to die. except if you are Lou Holtz and leave a trail of probation behind you. makes you wonder about who Mandel watches with the sound on at the sports bar.....Big Ten maybe?

Last edited:
Off-topic, but this is my ****** Thread anyway. . . . . . Tatanka, why do you have your name trademarked and did your patent attorney really think that is defensible? (See, I told you guys I am Snarky)

Well, if I may give a semi-serious answer to a snarky question, it's because I'm the original. I started using that handle in the CUAD chat room back in 1995. There are others now using my handle on various CU sites. I've also seen someone spelling it Tatonka. If you see the trademark then you know it's the real thing. :gobuffs:

I think Minny and Indy did pretty good to get Kevin Wilson and Jerry Kill, and maybe for those schools getting a decent coach is an "A".

Randy Edsall was an "A" for Maryland. The fact that Maryland can bring in one of the best coaches on the east coast after forcing a long-time coach out was a big "save" for that program.

But Paul Pasqualoni is an "B"? WTF?

Vandy gets a "B" solely because they hired a coach that another school thought highly of, even if he was their second choice. OK that proves the "curve" on the scale right there.

CU gets a "D" because we must have 100x the expectation at hiring a "big name" than all of those schools. Expectation is a good thing, I guess. Proves we still have prestige in the national media.

If I were a betting man, I would take the bet that Embree has more wins for the school that hired him on that list than at least 5 of those other coaches in 5 years time. I would even take odds that he finishes in the top 3.

I would even take the bet that Embree will have a winning record against David Shaw in H2H matchups over the next 8 years.

The only "A" Mandel needs to know is the hole where he can shove his ****ing slideshow.

As Scotty and others have pointed out, it's not so much the "D" grade that's annoying, it's the inexplicable high grades some of the other hires have received.

Bah - I'm not angry about that. The hire, for those who haven't taken a little time to digest it and listen to Embree, should be a head scratcher. I care a lot more about what they will say about the hire in another 5 years than I care about what they say about it now. Remember, Hawk was a "home run" hire. That turned out great.

I don't blame them. Embree and EB have not bee OC's much less HC's anywhere. So yeah, it looks from the outside as a bad hire. But Hawk had all the things you look for-- was a OC and a HC at a very successful program. So I will hope that Embree shows them wrong. But I certainly see why they would write that.

I think Minny and Indy did pretty good to get Kevin Wilson and Jerry Kill, and maybe for those schools getting a decent coach is an "A".

Randy Edsall was an "A" for Maryland. The fact that Maryland can bring in one of the best coaches on the east coast after forcing a long-time coach out was a big "save" for that program.

But Paul Pasqualoni is an "B"? WTF?

Vandy gets a "B" solely because they hired a coach that another school thought highly of, even if he was their second choice. OK that proves the "curve" on the scale right there.

CU gets a "D" because we must have 100x the expectation at hiring a "big name" than all of those schools. Expectation is a good thing, I guess. Proves we still have prestige in the national media.

If I were a betting man, I would take the bet that Embree has more wins for the school that hired him on that list than at least 5 of those other coaches in 5 years time. I would even take odds that he finishes in the top 3.

I would even take the bet that Embree will have a winning record against David Shaw in H2H matchups over the next 8 years.

The only "A" Mandel needs to know is the hole where he can shove his ****ing slideshow.

i like Edsall hire a lot for UM. i like Edsall period. i made a lot of "money" in football pic ems betting UCONN since they were independent. i don't follow the Big East or ACC too much, but my opinion about Pasqualoni is it's potentially decent hire if you want to win 6 games or 8 against a bunch of half-ass teams....and maybe he got dumped unfairly for flavor of the month NFL hire at the Cuse....whatever. no one was more overrated than Syracuse for a long stretch in the 90's. Don Macphearson, too. lot of grade inflation here.

part of this "slide show" is career killing hires. that's what i don't get. i don't think Wilson was loved much at OU. i read a lot of Big XII boards. i don't see that as a great hire. again, again, my step dad (great guy, OU donor)....he says Wilson had worn out his welcome with Bobby. running off OL so they have been thin the last couple years, and no real run game when they need 3 yards on 3rd down against a team with a real front 7. trust me, i've heard this over too many scotches from step to even care. i'm just saying, Watson had a nice run at OU...and i loved his stuff with Zak Kustok at NWestern.....but like Mangino, he was on the downs at OU. seems to me at least. if you are "so hot" as an assistant with a Heisman and 60 point scoring O.....do YOU take the Indiana job?

plus the guy has been sitting in the booth on game day for years?

Last edited:
When Embree was first hired my initial reaction was "really?" I thought some of the things he argues. But then I heard he was offered the OC at both Oregon and Buffalo Bills and figured he must be pretty well thought of in the coaching world. But after seeing him in action so far, I just grow more and more impressed. Also, a huge part of success in college coaching is being able to recruit and I think, hands down, their isn't a head coach and staff on that list that will be better than Embree, Bienemy and the gang. It'll just be more fun to prove 'em wrong.

Oh, and he gave Turner Gill an "A" last year.
Where'd you hear that Embree was offered a OC position at Oregon and Buffalo?

Buffalo for sure. He turned it down because he wanted to get some time seeing how Mike Shanahan ran his operation. Embo felt that would better prepare him for the HC job at CU (the dream he has been chasing his entire career).

fwiw, EB was also offered the OC job at USC last year and turned it down. Something tells me that if he had accepted that job people wouldn't have questioned his qualifications. CU gets put under the microscope a bit and the inclination is for the national media to come down a bit harsh. It's been a while since we have deserved the benefit of the doubt, let alone unquestioned support of any move we make, so it's hard to get too upset at it.

usc's pursuit of eb was well-documented in the press out here, fwiw. and, lots of insiders said he was the school's first choice to be oc.

so, that part i think is pretty well established.

Buffalo for sure. He turned it down because he wanted to get some time seeing how Mike Shanahan ran his operation. Embo felt that would better prepare him for the HC job at CU (the dream he has been chasing his entire career).

fwiw, EB was also offered the OC job at USC last year and turned it down. Something tells me that if he had accepted that job people wouldn't have questioned his qualifications. CU gets put under the microscope a bit and the inclination is for the national media to come down a bit harsh. It's been a while since we have deserved the benefit of the doubt, let alone unquestioned support of any move we make, so it's hard to get too upset at it.

i also remember he was over-passed for the OC job at CU and UCLA? say what you want about Shawn Brown and Karl Dorrell....but it's getting of ridiculous in here. uncovering the diamonds in the rough, great judges of raw talent and sleepers. i've heard that before.

i'm not doubting Embree's past or this or that....there's a lot of speculation here parading as narrative....he's going to take Washington TE job to better prepare himself with Shanny over an OC NFL job he was not offered in college twice as a career move to get back to CU?

JE interviewed last time, too.

I'm also not a fan of the "CU under the microscope/persecution" theory. really? are Texas and Chip Brown out to sabotage us again. we have people posting that Chip Brown and ATM in conspiracy to screw a team/school they never cared about anyway..with Tad Boyle. can't have it both ways. we are sounded like NU fan about how OU betrayed them and texas is ****ing them. and Dr. Tom got over.

we got over at a time our men's sports were very low on the real world win and losses reality, let's move on.

Last edited:
The "CU under the microscope/persecution" theory, as I used it, was putting us in the same class as any program that has under-performed in recent years. I didn't mean it as a special CU thing. Just that we haven't earned the benefit of the doubt by our recent performance so we're not going to get it from most analysts.

As far as the Embree to Washington instead of Buffalo thing, that's the truth. He thought he'd gain more in his development as a coach there than taking a bigger title in Buffalo. Considering the Bills fired its OC prior to the 1999 season, had one of the worst offenses in the league the past several years, no quarterback, and one of the toughest divisions... that job was set up for failure. It would have been a nice title, and there was the relationship with HC Chan Gailey (OC over Embree in KC), but there were good reasons for Embree not to take it. Whether you choose to believe it or not, Embree is the guy Gailey wanted when he took over.

Embree admitted that the last time he was considered for the head coaching job at CU he was not ready. You have to admire the fact that he did his time, prepared for his opportunity and jumped on it aggressively with a plan and a vision for the future. I think the program is in great hands. Great hire!

"Kanavis McGhee, most recently coached at Gannon (Pa.) University. Good luck with that."

he does realize that Guz Malzahn came staright from high school to college right?

Where'd you hear that Embree was offered a OC position at Oregon and Buffalo?

i've never heard either of those either.

Are you two calling me a liar?!!!!!!!!!!!! Huh? You doubt DBT?

Right after his hire I read about both in The Denver Post. I don't just make **** up like most of you. :lol:

Followup: I went to the Denver Post archives. Those ****ers. They give you the first few sentences of an article and, if you want the rest, you have to pay $2.95. Forget that!

Last edited:
"Kanavis McGhee, most recently coached at Gannon (Pa.) University. Good luck with that."

he does realize that Guz Malzahn came staright from high school to college right?

the kanavis mcghee hiring didnt make a lot if sense to me anyways...

Are you two calling me a liar?!!!!!!!!!!!! Huh? You doubt DBT?

Right after his hire I read about both in The Denver Post. I don't just make **** up like most of you. :lol:

Followup: I went to the Denver Post archives. Those ****ers. They give you the first few sentences of an article and, if you want the rest, you have to pay $2.95. Forget that!

Relax. No one's questioning your honesty.

It was a senility check. :smile2:

Well, if I may give a semi-serious answer to a snarky question, it's because I'm the original. I started using that handle in the CUAD chat room back in 1995. There are others now using my handle on various CU sites. I've also seen someone spelling it Tatonka. If you see the trademark then you know it's the real thing. :gobuffs:

I'm curious; what goods and services are covered by your trademark?

tend to agree here. though, do seem a little harsh. the "A" hires seem suspect to me. anybody but Bear Bryant or Darrel Royal to Indiana can't be an A.

from a national perspective, JE is not well known. and, i'm cautiously optimistic but i don't think it's a "done deal" we are gonna be a perennial top 10 type team for a significant run....
CU has become insignificant in college football for the last 7 years. Until we start winning on a regular basis that won't change.

Back