What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This team has a long way to go and a lot of work to do.

BlackNGold

Club Member
First of all let me say it was well organized and a good setting. I picked up tons of stuff I did not need at the garage sale. And the Big Fat Sausage at the Monster Grill was great. I am going to have to find something like that for tailgating.

On to the game. This was more a scrimmage than a game and with all the guys out it was a little hard to get a true read on this team.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of crispness in the play but it is only the spring. The receivers need to run their routes more cleanly. I want to see more completion in mid-stride. Wil Jefferson continues to be inconsistent in his catching - great play one minute and a drop the next. Canty put a killer move on the DB for his touchdown. Paper said it was Hansen that threw the pass but it was Hirschman. Hansen was good but I want to see a little better timing - some of his passes were a split second late meaning he is not getting the read quick enough.

Running game looked good after the second stringers got into the game. Tony Jones looked real good - very shifty.

The team was hitting hard most of the day.

This team is going to suffer from the lack of depth and the defense has a long way to go...

Meh. Spring game is about as meaningless as preseason games in the NFL. They are all practice. We won't know what we have until they strap on for Hawai'i. Every team has depth issues. Don't get your panties in a wad until we see the actual product.

I don't see it as getting his panties in a wad. It may have just been the spring game, but the lack of depth at LB and WR was glaring. That is not suddenly going to change in a matter of five months.

Well, to hear some people tell it, the possible transfer from GA could press T-Clem for a starting spot, and we obviously did not have T-Clem available for the game. Don't want to put too much hope in a true freshman, but many people think that Spruce is a guy who can come in and contribute early. So from the WR angle, you are looking at a few more guys than what you saw during the Spring game. As for LB, I think that Webb was the only guy out due to injury, so probably a bigger issue there.

I am more encouraged after seeing the Spring game. The only concern i have is in the secondary. Jered Bell showed his youth yesterday, we are going to miss Jimmy and Jalil back there. Let me break down the team with incoming freshman.

QB- Tyler Hansen is the favorite to win the job. Hirschman showed promise and should be ready to start next year or spell Hansen.
RB- Speedy looked good, good depth behind him with Lockridge, Tony Jones, Josh Ford. Rashall Hall and Malcom Creer unless they have a great fall camp will most likely redshirt.

WR- Encouraged to see the play of Chris Canty, we can go five deep with Tony Clemons, Richardson, Canty, Jefferson, Cefalo. We may need Nelson Spruce to conribute as a freshman. Adding one more recruit this year can't hurt. The overall depth is a concern, the first three WR on the depth chart are good.
TE- We are deep at TE, good depth withwith Deehan, Thornton, Slavin, Wood, Griffon
FB- Ahles and Evan are work in progress, but they are doing a good job so far
OL- We were without the likes of Max Mariner, Behrens, Iltis and etc, and the line still looked good, The main asset of our team Projected starters will be Harris, Miller, Iltis, Adkins, Bakhiari(sp). Marc Mustoe and Paulay Asiata will most likely redshirt unless they have a strong fall camp.

DL- Once Healthy we can rotate 8 guys per game, Uzo Diribe, Kasa, Hartigan, West, Obi, Cunnigham, Pericak, Bonsu. I expect Juda Parker to contribute as a freshman, and maybe Stephon Nembot. Not worried about the DL

LB- Worried about the depth behind Rippy, Webb, Major. I expect Brady Daigh, Woodsoon Greer, Tuumalo to contribute in the fall, even as special teams players. Lilo Nobriaga could also provide depth. Not happy with the play of Patrick Mankhe(sp).

S- Good depth once healthy, we can roll out Perkins, Polk, Sandersvedt(sp), Terrell Smith, Parker Orms

WC offense- Hirshman showed his ability to run the system,I like the play calling, there were running plays, quick outs, slants, rb screens, wr screens, deep post routes for Hirshman. Impressed with Hirshman ability to make all the throws, the same with Hansen. The play calling seems a lot better than what we saw under Kiesau.

Much work is needed to turn the program into a National championship contender, but i am happy with the progress so far.

Last edited:
On OL I thought David Clarked was dominant yesterday. I think he is pushing to start at Right Guard. If not, then it's nice to see that kind of performance in our 2 deep.

Kicking still pretty inconsistent, but at least he started making them more at the end of the game. He has good range, but I think the old coaching staff is still messing with his head!

WR- Encouraged to see the play of Chris Canty, we can go five deep with Tony Clemons, Richardson, Canty, Jefferson, Cefalo. We may need Nelson Spruce to conribute as a freshman. Adding one more recruit this year can't hurt. The overall depth is a concern, the first three WR on the depth chart are good.

Wish I could agree here, but we do not go five deep at WR right now. I have real reservations about even Canty seeing a lot of playing time and Jefferson was inconsistent yesterday, as was Cefalo. Getting Logan Gray will help, but I think more than anything, we need the tight ends to help take pressure off the WRs this year.

Wish I could agree here, but we do not go five deep at WR right now. I have real reservations about even Canty seeing a lot of playing time and Jefferson was inconsistent yesterday, as was Cefalo. Getting Logan Gray will help, but I think more than anything, we need the tight ends to help take pressure off the WRs this year.

Would rather go after a Thomas Carter instead of Gray. I like Canty speed and elusiveness, he is a perfect 3rd reciever that can play in the slot or even be a deep threat. The first 3 recievers are good, Clemons, Richardson, Canty, the depth behind them is a concern, Jefferson showed flashes last year, a little bit disapointed with his drops but that can be worked on.

Would rather go after a Thomas Carter instead of Gray. I like Canty speed and elusiveness, he is a perfect 3rd reciever that can play in the slot or even be a deep threat. The first 3 recievers are good, Clemons, Richardson, Canty, the depth behind them is a concern, Jefferson showed flashes last year, a little bit disapointed with his drops but that can be worked on.

Counting on not only one true freshman, but two (Carter and Spruce) to play a lot is not a good thing. It will take time for them to get acclimated.

Counting on not only one true freshman, but two (Carter and Spruce) to play a lot is not a good thing. It will take time for them to get acclimated.

If we could have two more Paul Richardsons, I'd be very pleased.

Richardson was far and away the best WR on the field yesterday.

Cefalo is okay can be a good 4th WR , Jefferson YAC ability is a plus to the squad, the situation is not as dire as you may think. Spruce and Carter will get a chance to compete in the summer and in the fall.

Does anyone know why Cordary Allen is not seeing the field, that guy is huge. He seems to be connected to what the staff has to say, he was around EB on the sideline where the plays were being called instead of hiding on the sideline. It just seems if this guy has any athletic ability you need to find a place on the field for him.

Does anyone know why Cordary Allen is not seeing the field, that guy is huge. He seems to be connected to what the staff has to say, he was around EB on the sideline where the plays were being called instead of hiding on the sideline. It just seems if this guy has any athletic ability you need to find a place on the field for him.

talent in front of him + no speed.

Meh. Spring game is about as meaningless as preseason games in the NFL. They are all practice. We won't know what we have until they strap on for Hawai'i. Every team has depth issues. Don't get your panties in a wad until we see the actual product.

Did not have my "panties in a wad" just gave my observations....It amazes me - people from out of town always want an update on practices and scrimmages and when you give one there is always a douche that comes out with inane comments.
  • :bang:
You can go back in your hole since you are now on my ignore list.

Thanks for the report. Those of us who were at the game but slept through it appreciate it.

My concern is depth as well, and the defense in general. There were some pretty major breakdowns on each level. Offense looked good, well organized, and physical.

I liked the running game, and the reports of Conrad Obi stepping up appear to not have been exaggerated. He was in on about six tackles IIRC. Many for a loss.

I liked the running game, and the reports of Conrad Obi stepping up appear to not have been exaggerated. He was in on about six tackles IIRC. Many for a loss.

I think it was him who said he would have had 2 sacks if they could hit the qb

He was impressive.

One other positive observation I would like to make is about the offense in general. It actually seems to have an identity and it looks like we know what we want to do for a change.

Did not have my "panties in a wad" just gave my observations....It amazes me - people from out of town always want an update on practices and scrimmages and when you give one there is always a douche that comes out with inane comments.
  • :bang:
You can go back in your hole since you are now on my ignore list.

Sorry BnG(course you can't read this), there is nothing wrong with what you were posting, nor did you come across as having your panties in a wad. My post wasn't intended as a personal attack, although it absolutely comes across that way. I was trying to make more of a general point that all of us, myself included, have a tendency to want to super analyze every bit of information we get, and then get all worked up about issues that we just won't really know about until the season comes. I am just at the point now after the Hawkins era, where practice reports, spring games, coach interviews mean less than dog **** to me. Show me what is going to be on field in the fall, then we have something concrete to point to. I attended the spring game yesterday, but mainly as a show of support for the program more than hoping to get a gauge for the future.

Sorry BnG(course you can't read this), there is nothing wrong with what you were posting, nor did you come across as having your panties in a wad. My post wasn't intended as a personal attack, although it absolutely comes across that way. I was trying to make more of a general point that all of us, myself included, have a tendency to want to super analyze every bit of information we get, and then get all worked up about issues that we just won't really know about until the season comes. I am just at the point now after the Hawkins era, where practice reports, spring games, coach interviews mean less than dog **** to me. Show me what is going to be on field in the fall, then we have something concrete to point to. I attended the spring game yesterday, but mainly as a show of support for the program more than hoping to get a gauge for the future.

quoted for reading pleasure.

buffedup:

Thanks for clarifying ( and thanks for your PM)...I agree you cannot put too much stock in a scrimmage/game. But I can see when patterns are sloppy, people drop balls, and not many completions hit people in stride.

I see a lot of people saying that they expect the team to be better immediately because Hawkins is gone. I do not buy into that - this team lacks depth and has holes that will be exploited. I expect improvement but it is going to take a couple of years.

I thought the Spring accomplished a lot. It was a great springboard for the team. It set the tempo and the expectation for the senior leadership and starters coming back. They know the expectations.

I thought the offense did a bang up job all things considered from where they came from. Plain and simple, they were dog**** under Hawkins. Anybody who watched any single game last year, made the trek to Cal could tell you this much. This offense had rhyme & reason, set up other plays well and i'm excited for the future on that front. I think we came out of the Spring with two QB's who could help us next year. That's huge as that was my big question mark. Tyler continued to show he was mobile but looked better than advertised passing. I knew Hirschman could throw the rock, I had questions about his athletic ability and for the most part they have been alleviated. We have at least two backs on our roster who can run and the Ford kid looks solid as well. We got lucky that Ahles and Evan Harrington have been so natural at FB. We're set there for the next year.

WR/TE looked solid. We lack depth at WR but Clemons/PRich will be a great 1-2 punch. Keenan Canty showed me yesterday when the lights come on, he can make plays. Jefferson is in the mix there and I fully expect Spruce to contribute. Immediately i'm not too concerned about depth at WR because I think we have some guys we can roll with. Also, we're going to be using a bunch of TE's next year, I was more concerned with the depth there but Deehan has the body of a 1st-3rd round NFL draft pick. Hopefully the play mirrors that. I'm expecting big things. Slavin had a great day yesterday and Thornton is in the mix too.

OL looks a lot better than I thought but this position has been the worst managed over the past four years. It's going to take Marshall awhile to get these guys up to speed and weed out the weak, improve the technique and infuse some more talent there.

Defense is hard to judge. I think we got some players at all three levels. DT's are deeper than I thought they would be because Obi blowing it away. DE's look rough around the edges because of youth or injury. I think Rippy, Webb, and Major should be our three starters. Webb had the most buzz coming into Spring Ball IMO, then got hurt. Rippy stepped in and showed he could ball. Depth is ok here. DB's have talent but the BnG game showed they have a LONG way to go to get game ready. Pac 10/12 has never suffered from a lack of talent at QB. With Barkeley, Luck, Foley among others coming back, we're going to be tested.

Overall I think we got a lot of good work done. I'm encouraged going into the season. I'm excited to see what the freshman can add to the mix.

Can anyone who attended give a breakdown on how the CB's looked? Anyone stand out (either good or bad)?

nobody stood out to me.

Nobody stood out to me either good or bad (although Canty made a few DB's look very foolish and run into each other)....i tried to focus/watch a few as well, but really the only corner who made a play was Jordan Marquez (picking off the very 1st pass from Burnette), and I've never heard of him nor do I expect him to be an actual game day contributor

Back