What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This year's brick games

Alfred91

Chicks dig scars.
Club Member
I have heard multiple times this year by announcers mentioning the brick games that the game being played that day was a brick game. I definitely remember it being mentioned during the UCLA, WSU, and Utah games, and I think there was mention of it during the Oregon game, but maybe that was discussion after the game.

My question is - do we have a ton of brick games this year, or do games that we might have thought would be brick games at the time get eclipsed by wins later in the year?

Specifically - I think we all would have said at the time that Oregon was a brick game. But is it now? I think it was still a big win in terms of our confidence that we could win big games, but now that we've won bigger games and Oregon has obviously spiraled into new coachdom, is it a brick game?

What about Stanford? Ugly, yes, but still really big - much bigger than Oregon, imo.

Is WSU still a brick game? What about Utah? Are either of them brick-worthy? Both?

I think the increasingly awesome nature of this season has really changed our views of some of the wins we've had along the way.

Do we have a working definition or set of criteria for what a "brick game" is? I don't think I've ever heard the term w/r/t football.

Along the same lines, are there specific criteria to determine a brick game or is it subjectively determined by the coaching staff?

EDIT: Hokie beat me to it...

Do we have a working definition or set of criteria for what a "brick game" is? I don't think I've ever heard the term w/r/t football.

I'm fairly certain that the bricks are just a CU thing, although I guess I'm not 100% sure of that.

Along the same lines, are there specific criteria to determine a brick game or is it subjectively determined by the coaching staff?

EDIT: Hokie beat me to it...

I don't believe there are criteria, just games that the staff believe are of special importance to the program.

It was explained during one of the game broadcasts. Something like beating a ranked team on the road, etc.

It was explained during one of the game broadcasts. Something like beating a ranked team on the road, etc.

While I'm sure that can be part of it, that can't be the only one - they showed 62-36 as one of the bricks.

This isn't really a fan opinion thing... I'm pretty sure they designate the brick games ahead of time and that Wazzu and Utah were two of them.

I heard Wazzu was the first brick for Mac since his first win and if you watch the post game locker room celebration they celebrate getting a brick. I'm assuming Utah was because it was a similar situation except with the South on the line but I didn't hear anything about it.

Ok, assuming I get to make the criteria - I agree with @dio.

Oregon - because it proved to the players themselves that they could go into a hostile environment and find a win. Nobody knew at that point how bad OU would finish so that's irrelevant. It was THE pivotal game from the old results to the new results.

Utah - because it was the clincher for the south title. A game full of pressure that could have buckled other teams, this team didn't.

-and-

Washington - because it's gonna happen.

found this. do we mean "gold games" instead of "brick games"?

"We have something called the gold games and we have gold bricks," running back Phillip Lindsay said. "So any time we beat a ranked team, we get a gold brick. This is our first time since we've been ranked that we get a gold brick so it's a pretty big deal for us. We're excited and we're happy and we have to continue to ride this wave and get ready for the next game."

upi link

apologies, originally posted in wrong thread on wrong board.

found this. do we mean "gold games" instead of "brick games"?

upi link

apologies, originally posted in wrong thread on wrong board.
Not quite. The "Gold Games" are something Mac started this year to highlight the final 4 games of the season.

CU has a tradition of painting bricks in Dal Ward gold to commemorate big wins for the program, think FSU's Sod Cemetery as an ACC comparable. It started under McCartney I believe. The tradition was erased, literally, by Dan Hawkins who had the hall way and the bricks painted over.

Embree brought back the bricks as can be seen here:
RMKCAKRCIWZWDXT.20110923013300.jpg

And now in the new champions center, they have a new display to show the big program wins. The wins are marked on the bricks, and highlights of each game can apparently be pulled up on the screen. The display is across the hall from all the individual trophies (Heisman, Thorpe, Butkus, etc.)

upload_2016-12-1_14-3-33.png

CxuKFy6VIAQYFYE.jpg

I heard Wazzu was the first brick for Mac since his first win and if you watch the post game locker room celebration they celebrate getting a brick. I'm assuming Utah was because it was a similar situation except with the South on the line but I didn't hear anything about it.
this

Not quite. The "Gold Games" are something Mac started this year to highlight the final 4 games of the season.

CU has a tradition of painting bricks in Dal Ward gold to commemorate big wins for the program, think FSU's Sod Cemetery as an ACC comparable. It started under McCartney I believe. The tradition was erased, literally, by Dan Hawkins who had the hall way and the bricks painted over.

Embree brought back the bricks as can be seen here:
RMKCAKRCIWZWDXT.20110923013300.jpg

And now in the new champions center, they have a new display to show the big program wins. The wins are marked on the bricks, and highlights of each game can apparently be pulled up on the screen. The display is across the hall from all the individual trophies (Heisman, Thorpe, Butkus, etc.)

View attachment 21754

CxuKFy6VIAQYFYE.jpg
Thank You for posting these pics Shoulder pure Allsomeness

Ducks must be. We officially ended the blur era up there and broke through on the road in a big way that day.

Definition of a Brick Game is pretty straight forward: If we beat a ranked opponent at home or on the road, you get a Gold Brick. They must be ranked at the time that we beat them....doesn't matter if they fall out later in the year, and it doesn't count if they were unranked and became ranked later i.e Stanford. The perceived importance of the game matters not (i.e. Oregon)....only that they are ranked. This has been the way it has always worked since the "Gold Brick" wall was instituted originally.

I should also say, if you see the pic above of when Embree reinstitute the Brick Wall....you'll see games listed without a ranked opponent. I am not entirely certain, but I believe that was in an effort to recognize historically significant games at the time the wall was put in place. I am not 100% sure, but I think it was Neuheisal that started the wall....and at it's inception, the rules set forth above were instituted as rules by which a brick could be added.

Last edited:
Definition of a Brick Game is pretty straight forward: If we beat a ranked opponent at home or on the road, you get a Gold Brick. They must be ranked at the time that we beat them....doesn't matter if they fall out later in the year, and it doesn't count if they were unranked and became ranked later i.e Stanford. The perceived importance of the game matters not (i.e. Oregon)....only that they are ranked. This has been the way it has always worked since the "Gold Brick" wall was instituted originally.
Not quite right BC...according to the CU Football Information Guide, ""Brick" games are those that are significant in CU's history and are commemorated by a simulated gold brick with the game score outside of CU's locker room." A complete list is located here: http://static.cubuffs.com/custompages/football/2016_Info_Guide/359-364_biggest_wins.pdf

I have heard multiple times this year by announcers mentioning the brick games that the game being played that day was a brick game. I definitely remember it being mentioned during the UCLA, WSU, and Utah games, and I think there was mention of it during the Oregon game, but maybe that was discussion after the game.

My question is - do we have a ton of brick games this year, or do games that we might have thought would be brick games at the time get eclipsed by wins later in the year?

Specifically - I think we all would have said at the time that Oregon was a brick game. But is it now? I think it was still a big win in terms of our confidence that we could win big games, but now that we've won bigger games and Oregon has obviously spiraled into new coachdom, is it a brick game?

What about Stanford? Ugly, yes, but still really big - much bigger than Oregon, imo.

Is WSU still a brick game? What about Utah? Are either of them brick-worthy? Both?

I think the increasingly awesome nature of this season has really changed our views of some of the wins we've had along the way.

It's a brick season.

I liked what somebody suggested on another thread . . . . This whole season is a Brick and the scores of all the wins should be posted. Every game, when it was played, was, and now is significant.

Back