1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thorburn: Football struggles hurting Mike Bohn's legacy

Discussion in 'CU Buffs Newsroom' started by RSSBot, Nov 13, 2012.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

By Ryan Thorburn Buffzone.com

Tad Boyle's peers were jealous. His boss was so cool. Mike Bohn's idea to pay for the most hardcore members of the C-Unit to travel to the Pac-12 Tournament proved to be a stroke of genius.

Originally posted by Daily Camera
    Click here to view the article.

2. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

lulz - We haven't seen rock bottom until we see what those season ticket sales and attendance figures are like next year.

We're also going to have 3 out of our last 4 recruiting classes as pretty awful. Really setting the table to success down the line.

4. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Not buying it

5. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I remember when we thought that there was NO WAY that Hawk could be kept that extra year.

6. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Hawk had a lot more money coming to him than Embree tho. The change needs to be made or this hole is going to get deeper.

7. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Someone needs to send Thorburn the list of names of Athletic Directors who have hire 3 and sometimes 4 head football coaches.

8. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Agree with the article, mostly.

I don't know how much Bohn is to blame. The Hawkins hire was widely regarded as a huge win. The contract extension was a mistake, but at the time probably made sense. Word is Bohn wanted to fire Hawk in his 4th year, but was forced to bring him back for a disastrous 5th year.

Cash strapped from Hawk and Barnett buyouts and pressured by Buffs4Life and boosters, he hired a desperately under-qualified, but cheap, head coach. $750K for a PAC12 head coach...really???

Normally I wouldn't give Bohn a 3rd chance at a football hire, but the extenuating circumstances change my mind. He should now have enough money to spend $1.5-2.5 million on a head coach and boosters should be over the allure of past glory. I see this as a last chance for MB; if the third doesn't work out, he should be fired.

BTW...the admin could make things easier, like a general studies program and more academic exceptions, but whatever.

9. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

We also weren't receiving $20M+ from the Big 12 either and things were never this bad under Hawk and attendance never really dipped much. Attendance has dipped a good amount under Embree.

10. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Can't wait to see lefty's response here.... :lol:

11. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Sorry....I cannot validate Bohn's "success" based on sending students to LA for the tournament and hiring Tad. He has failed miserably in football. Our pathetic record, the lack of improvements to facilities, and the joke that we have become on the national scene should lead to the obvious conclusion that he must get the hell out. The damage he has left in football relative to any success we may have in basketball is so far worse. I am fed up.

12. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Bohn has a legacy?

Really?

13. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I don't even know what to say anymore. Seriously, it appears they are going to keep Embo. Bohn simply needs to go. Not only for the good of CU, but for his own future. Can you imagine any major University bringing in the Athletic Director equivalent of Schleprock? I have been hard on the guy, and IMO, he deserves it, but he has presided over the change over from conference championship contender to laughingstock of the flagship sport that generates the lion's share of the AD revenue. How in the world can he be described as a success?

Sorry to disappoint you Junc, but I am out of words....

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

:rofl2:

15. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

legacy. hehe

16. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Bohn has actually had a vision for the basketball program and has been good there.

I kind of compartmentalize when I think about him. Bohn as a football AD? One of the worst I've ever seen. Elsewhere? Pretty decent.

But at the end of the day football is what matters. It drives revenue. It pays for everything else. It rallies university support. It drove conference realignment. Fail there and you can't get a passing grade.