1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thorburn gone as of Friday? Say it ain't so, Daily Camera!

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Will our only CU newspaper beat writers be Ringo and Henderson? This can't be happening.

2. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

what a ****ing joke... ringo gets to keep his job while the only decent writer is gone... the ****

3. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

They still have B.G.

4. Buffnik

BG Brooks works for cubuffs.com (CU AD). He's still good, but not the same as when he was at the Rocky Mountain News.

That was the glory days of local coverage, with Brooks at RMN and Woelk at BDC.

5. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oops! I guess I will never go to the BDC website again. Not that I was anyway maybe once a week to see if they had new video up of interviews with coaches and players.

6. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Pat Ridgell at Longmont T-C... Damn! We had it good compared to the current state of journalism.

7. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Thorburn was very good. Sorry to see him go. The newspaper business is a mess.

8. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Is he leaving voluntarily?

AlferdJasper likes this.
  9. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

So RIngo is now going to cover both basketball and football?
    Good luck with that

10. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

fify

11. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Half the guys on this board would do a better job of covering CU athletics than Ringo and Henderson. I'm not kidding.

12. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Half the guys on this board do a better job of covering CU athletics than Ringo and Henderson. That is part of the problem.

What "news" do we get from the papers that doesn't show up here at roughly the same time with better depth and analysis? Even in the best of times the papers didn't give the quality and depth of information that we get from people like Goose and MattRob and others for basketball. Same with football, they can give 3 1/2 pages to the Broncos and who has been signed to provide depth in camp at long snapper and then not get around to noting a quality commit to the Buffs for days if they ever do.

The one advantage that newspapers have over the internet and the electronic media is depth of coverage. They are losing readership because the one advanatage they have they are busy getting rid of

13. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

You're right. I don't even bother reading the news print stories on the Buffs anymore. They're here long before they show up there, and with a lot of solid analysis to go along with them, to boot.

14. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

BDC has a new guy, Brian Howell, turning out articles and analysis. Seems okay as a writer. BDC hasn't been the same since Dan Creedon retired. Now there was a CU beat writer!

Wonder if CU AD pulled the plug on Thorburn? Did he get along with the new staff?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  15. Buffnik

AD would not have had a problem with Thorburn. At all.

Howell was at the Longmont Times Call. They pretty much disbanded their sports section and he lost his job. I believe he's tight with Ringo.

16. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Then factor in Henderson who has had multiple incidents of not even getting players names right recently. The local papers saddling us with these jokers seems indicative of the local media's perception of the relevance of CU. it's only going to get worse with no journalism school to speak of either.

17. JtsRcktVctry

JtsRcktVctry Member

Where did you guys hear about this? I'm interested to know - I worked with Ryan a while back and hadn't heard anything about it. Interested to see if it was voluntary or not.

18. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

I listened to Henderson on the radio the other day discussing CU basketball and how the possible transfer of Jack Adams would affect the team

19. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Ringo and Howell are both hacks. They are lucky to have their jobs because they are piss poor journalists. In fact, calling either of them journalists is a stretch.

Henderson at least has some experience. But his perverted fascination with young girls is beyond creepy.

20. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

The AD has no problem with Ryan and he and Tad get along this isnt CU pressure, if it was CU pressure it would be Ringo out the door.

21. letsgoavs192

letsgoavs192 Well-Known Member

Where are you guys seeing this?

22. Buffnik

I saw a post on the Rivals board. Thorburn did not publish this weekend and Ringo authored the last hoops article. Also, Thorburn has not tweeted since Friday (he's usually good for several a day).

This is not confirmed, hence the question mark in the title. But so far it looks accurate.

23. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I am surprised the Daily Camera is still around. They have been cutting costs right and left (and they need to). Everyone knows the newspaper business is struggling.

24. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I think Ringo & Henderson troll our board for info, then incorporate bits and pieces of our info, so when it goes to print it looks like their stuff. Just say-in, I've seen some similarities in the past couple of years that are somewhat parallel to what you read here. I never have noticed any journalistic similarities with what BG Brooks writes.

25. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

fify.....

26. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Didn't one of the papers lift a photo (concerning the stadium naming rights) off this board? Pretty much confirms that they are stealing info off of here. I believe they had to do a mea culpa and credit the photographer iirc.

27. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Now that you mention it, I think that did happen.

28. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

My friend's dad used to be the advertising director for the Washington Post. She said maybe 6 months ago, that he thinks the newspaper atleast, maybe the whole company, won't be around in 5 years. So if that's the state of one of the country's biggest newspaper, I can only imagine what's left of the DC.

29. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

I've said on many occassions that if I had Bill Gate's endowment capacity, my endowment would be a non-profit news source (internet? Probably...) that hired reporters and editorial staff based on demonstrated journalistic capability and integrity. The news organization would solicit donations, maybe, but in the most untraceable way (I'm aware that when money is involved, processes can become skewed).

Capable journalism is critical to the health of our system.

30. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

I've thought about along similar lines, but ultimately, I don't know how many people would follow. It's a lot easier to watch a source that tells you what you want to hear. Especially one that has eye candy in front of the camera. Sure, some intelligent people would get their news there, but those people are probably already doing a decent job of perusing multiple sources, and sorting through the crap.