1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thorburn's Hoke article picked up by ESPN Rumors

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors

Hoke as CU Target
    San Diego State head coach Brady Hoke's name came up last week in connection to the coaching vacancy at Minnesota, and the coach quickly dismissed any chance of him leaving the Aztecs to coach the Golden Gophers.

Following his team's impressive performance against TCU this weekend, Hoke's name is coming up again in connection with a job opening. Ryan Thorburn of the Daily Camera writes that Colorado needs to make a push to hire Hoke away to take over the Buffaloes' coaching gig.

Thorburn argues that Hoke is the right fit because of his impressive track record, ability to recruit in southern California (something that will become more important for the Buffs following their move to the Pac-10), and ability to do well with limited resources and so-so facilities.

Hoke was adamant last week that he had no plans to leave San Diego State. However, the Colorado job seems like a much better fit for him than the Minnesota gig, so if the CU brass comes calling, it might be hard for Hoke not to listen.

- Jeff Dooley

Thorburn: CU's Bohn should have Hoke on his radar
    Mike Bohn needs to go back to San Diego State.
    And hire Brady Hoke.

There are some great coaches in the Mountain West Conference -- TCU's Gary Patterson, Utah's Kyle Whittingham, Air Force's Troy Calhoun -- and Hoke might be the best of the bunch.

Colorado would quickly go from being the laughing stock of the Big 12 to a program on the rise in the Pac-12 if Bohn were able to bring Hoke and his equally impressive coordinators to Boulder.

Read on...

2. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

...sigh...

3. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

There is something to Hoke that I really like. We cannot dismiss every young HC at a smaller school as another Hawk.

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

It's probably his ability to recruit, get the best from his players, turn failing programs around to recruit quality players.

I'm just spit-ballin' here.

5. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

These aren't only programs that are currently "failing", like ours. These are historical ****bomb programs. He put Ball State on the map. SDSU hasn't been relevant since Faulk was there, and even he didn't see much team success.

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If we go this route, we need to dig deep and see if his success is his doing or that of his assistants. While I'm sure his assistants are good, we want to avoid Hawkins part 2 at all costs.

7. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

First question to any interview should be what assistants are you bringing with you?

8. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I think that's reasonable.

9. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

But, there's nothing to prevent a Hawk/Peterson part 2 with this is there? Say it's Hoke's DC that is the brains to the operation. In the interview Hoke says he's bringing the entire staff and SDSU counters by offering the DC the head job, I'd assume he accepts and we're screwed again. Not saying that's the case with Hoke, but I can see how that could play out. Again.

10. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Well, I guess there's always Schellenberger (sp?). He built Miami, you know...

11. Sexton Hardcastle

Gotta roll the dice.

12. Sexton Hardcastle

Who was the OU coach who went to the NFL and failed miserably? This was in the 80's I think. Arizona Cardinals?

13. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

Given the very little I know about Hoke, I'd say he's far from Hawk in relying on his coordinator as the brains behind the operation, so I don't think we're really looking at another situation like we just experienced.

And as for Schnellenberger, maybe start it as a rumor and see if the Post will run with it :lol:

14. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

Hoke had different OC and DC at Ball and SDSU, think he only brought 3 or 4 assistants with him from Ball. He's done it with two largely different staffs.

15. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

I love Hoke as a coach for CU if we go outside the family. I will support him fully. . His resume is ten times more impressive than frickin Calhouns.

16. neil29fp

neil29fp Club Member Club Member

I would support a Hoke hire.

17. Darian3Hagan

Bud Wilkinson. We almost hired him instead of Mac.

18. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

19. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

His OC is Al Borges, a guy with extensive OC experience and west coast ties (including at UCLA when Cade McNown was there). His DC is Rocky Long, former DC at Oregon State/UCLA and the best coach in New Mexico history. Even if he just brings over one of the two, we are already ahead of the game versus Hawk because we have at least one coordinator with BCS experience.

As mentioned above, the guy has had success with two largely different staffs. I have a sneaking suspicion he could build a really good staff at CU with more money available to him.

20. Sexton Hardcastle

Really! It was Mac, Osbourne, and Wilkinson! Never knew CU went after him.

21. Darian3Hagan

Eddie Crowder had him talked into it and then the Cardinals went on a run. Where is that damn Montana when you need him?

22. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Hoke > Calhoun. His credentials seem good, but I had no clue who this guy was until he was brought up on this site. In my uneducated opinion this sounds like a ho/hum hire. I would support such a hire, but it would certainly make this search end in a thud for me.

23. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

I think Hoke's advantage over Hawk (besides the term Hokey Love is probably not going to catch on!) is that in addition to having success at a non-BCS school, he has already established recruiting inroads in the area that we intend to focus on. I think we'd be sorry if we didn't at least see if he's interested, and understand what he could bring to the table.

24. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Wasn't Rocky Long the head coach at New Mexico when Katie Hnida was there?

25. buffman60

buffman60 New Member

Hoke is my dude. my gut feeling is that Hoke will be hired as the CU coach, and Hoke and his staff WILL turn CU into national POWER HOUSE! (haha just a gut feeling)

26. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

+1

27. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

Not sure I would go the non-BSC route again this time. Let's look at Hoke's schedule this year, Nicholls State, New Mexico St, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah State, UNLV....you get a couple easy games each year at CU but not 7 or 8 year in year out. Competition is different.

28. Del

Del Member

Bohn said on SD radio that Hoke wasn't being considered for the CU job when asked.

29. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

How about we look at how he did in the tough games and not just dismiss him because they play some easy ones?

30. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Yes, the efforts against mizzou and TCU were very noticeable. His team has lost to 2 top 25 teams by what, 10 total points?

I'm not sure he's the best choice out there, but he's certainly better than some of the names mentioned.