What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tiebreaker Scenarios for PAC-12 tourney

Yeah, I'll let you be alone on that one. My ass is hoping we end up #3. I want to avoid Arizona until the finals.

We haven't had any better success against UCLA.
Nobody said this would be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon State (current RPI 103) beating ASU (rpi 33) may also be enough to get them into the top 100 RPI. Another win against the RPI top 100 wouldn't suck either.

Come on OSU!!!

Oregon State (current RPI 103) beating ASU (rpi 33) may also be enough to get them into the top 100 RPI. Another win against the RPI top 100 wouldn't suck either.

Come on OSU!!!

I thought they play tomorrow

Think Stanford beating Utah, and Arizona State beating Oregon State would give CU the #4 seed.

I don't believe that is correct. If we lose to Cal, we're both 10-8 and they'll have the head-to-head tiebreaker with us.

In short ... beat Cal and clinch 4th ... or lose and settle for 5th or 6th.

Does anyone here think that is incorrect? :huh:

I don't believe that is correct. If we lose to Cal, we're both 10-8 and they'll have the head-to-head tiebreaker with us.

In short ... beat Cal and clinch 4th ... or lose and settle for 5th or 6th.

Does anyone here think that is incorrect? :huh:

CU owns the tiebreaker over Stanford.

CU owns the tiebreaker over Stanford.

But what about Cal? Am I incorrect is saying that if we lose to them tomorrow both teams will be 10-8, and they'll have the first tiebreaker?

But what about Cal? Am I incorrect is saying that if we lose to them tomorrow both teams will be 10-8, and they'll have the first tiebreaker?
If Stanford, Cal, Colorado are all 10-8:

Cal: 2-1 =#4
CU: 1-1 =#5
Stanford: 1-2 =#6

If Stanford, Cal, Colorado are all 10-8:

Cal: 2-1 =#4
CU: 1-1 =#5
Stanford: 1-2 =#6

Thanks ... that's what I thought. So even if Stanford loses tomorrow, we still need to beat Cal in order to clinch 4th.

A #4 seed is still possible, even with a loss.
Here's the scenario someone on my FB feed posted, "So here are the results we want Saturday:
Stanford over Utah, Arizona over Oregon, Oregon St over Arizona St. USC vs Washington and UCLA vs Washington St are irrelevant to us.
IF all of those happen, if we beat CAL we are the 3-seed, if we lose to CAL we would be the 4-seed."

Here's the scenario someone on my FB feed posted, "So here are the results we want Saturday:
Stanford over Utah, Arizona over Oregon, Oregon St over Arizona St. USC vs Washington and UCLA vs Washington St are irrelevant to us.
IF all of those happen, if we beat CAL we are the 3-seed, if we lose to CAL we would be the 4-seed."
Oregon's outcome is irrelevant to Colorado.

for a fun fact: Only Colorado and ASU can possibly get the #3 seed, but the #4 seed is wide open. Utah, Cal, and Oregon can still get the #4 seed.

Last edited:
Why? We could be tied with them? I know we win the head-to-head tiebreaker but would we win every mult-team scenario over them?
Yes. Because Oregon is 0-3 against Cal, Stanford, and Colorado.

EDIT: Slight misunderstanding. I thought you meant solely in the specific case that you mentioned (in your scenario, Oregon's outcome is irrelevant). You are right, however, that some tiebreakers have Oregon coming into play.

Last edited:
ASU losing right now. Someone on Twitter claiming ASU loss puts us at 4th seed even if we lose to Cal. Is that true?

I think so....

From the original post:

The FIVE way tie possibility
Occurs if:
ASU loses @Oregon state
Oregon wins vs Arizona (CHECK)
Colorado loses @ Cal
Winner of Stanford/Utah (STANFORD)

For the first tiebreaker in the case of more than two teams, it's best record against the other teams that are tied with you (ie better winning percentage). It's mostly dependent on the winner of Stanford/Utah, but here's how it'd go:

If Stanford wins:
#3 Arizona St: 5-3
#4 Colorado: 3-2
#5 Cal: 3-3 (tiebreaker- better record vs Zona)
#6 Stanford: 3-3
#7 Oregon: 1-4

That's why I was rooting for Oregon against Zona just now....come on OSU!

ASU losing right now. Someone on Twitter claiming ASU loss puts us at 4th seed even if we lose to Cal. Is that true?

Reading over the possibilities on cubuffs.com, I don't see any way we finish with the #4 seed. Unless I am reading it incorrectly, if we win we get the #3 seed while a loss leaves us at the #5 seed. Option #8 and option #1 look like the only remaining options.

Link: http://www.cubuffs.com/pdf9/2656089.pdf

Pac 12 guys say both teams are playing for a bye and whichever loses is 5th seed. I am confused

Yeah, we should be a 4 seed with a loss and a 3 seed with a win. Cal definitely wouldn't be a 5th seed with a loss.

Howell on twitter

@BrianHowell33: According to #CUBuffs SID Dave Plati, if CU wins, they are No. 3. If they lose, they are No. 5 - which is how I had it.

Howell on twitter

@BrianHowell33: According to #CUBuffs SID Dave Plati, if CU wins, they are No. 3. If they lose, they are No. 5 - which is how I had it.

I think the 5 would give us a game with Wazzu and then a rematch with Cal, correct?

Does the 3 definitely give us Oregon?

I hope we dont have to worry about #5 seed. If we dont have a dry spell we are in good position

6c78f858859e60adf94179817f77539b.png

Back