What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tim DeRuyter here we come!

I can agree that there are several question marks about D-Root, specifically his ability as a head coach and how successful he might be with his own recruits in place. However, what we do know about him is not lackluster. His defenses at AFA were solid. His defense at aTm improved dramatically in the first year under his tutelage. His defense at Fresno St is only giving up 22.2 points per game, and his team went from 4-9 under Hill the previous year to 9-3 in one year under Deruyter (this is with a new offensive and defensive system in place). There was absolutely talent on that team, but I'm not going to bash the guy figuring out how to utilize that talent effectively.

I still give an edge to MacIntyre, but as I've said elsewhere, I really don't think there's that much of a gap between the two gentlemen.
Several important players were not available to Hill last year. Off the top of my head: 2 starting DL (one academically ineligible and one suspended), both starting safeties, one of whom is a first-team All-American (he broke his leg in a drill before the season and the other went down 3 games in with a broken arm), as well as their leading WR, who had to redshirt last year because he wasn't cleared early enough and will probably be a frosh All-American this year.

I don't recall BOHN ever coming out and saying that he wanted a BCS coach. In fact I think the specific commentary from Mike Bohn has really been few and far between on this hire. I think there have been a lot of comments by other people, such as Ringo, Woody Paige, etc. saying that they had spoken with Bohn, and Bohn's search was centered on current head coaches.

That was also more than a week ago, when there were more head coaches available. Given the way coaches have been heading off to other schools, I would anticipate that Bohn is down to coordinators by now.
If you say Bohn never limited it to BCS HC's I won't argue, I could have sworn I heard that, but I have no link etc.

I listed Coordinators I thought might be worth looking at to, I just am not impressed with pickingup another lower conference HC and hoping he's not Hawk 2.0. There are other alternatives, and I hope MB is looking at them.

Leavitt is an interesting thought, that's someone who literally built a program from the start. Has a pretty good record too. But he lied about his incident with the player so we have to cross him off the list. :rolling_eyes:

I'll be cautiously optimistic if we get DeRuyter and Stitt. Would much rather have them than Butch Jones (and I've been saying this from the beginning so don't think I have sour grapes). But I'd much rather have Petrino than either of them

Leavitt is an interesting thought, that's someone who literally built a program from the start. Has a pretty good record too. But he lied about his incident with the player so we have to cross him off the list. :rolling_eyes:

I don't understand why we have to be so careful about coaches with "prior incidents". What is the reason for this? Just because of the Barnett non-scandal?

Several important players were not available to Hill last year. Off the top of my head: 2 starting DL (one academically ineligible and one suspended), both starting safeties, one of whom is a first-team All-American (he broke his leg in a drill before the season and the other went down 3 games in with a broken arm), as well as their leading WR, who had to redshirt last year because he wasn't cleared early enough and will probably be a frosh All-American this year.
Why is noone heeding what this guy is saying? He knows the program - he is trying to tell us in a kind way that at this point DeRuyter = Neuweasel in 1995.

Why is noone heeding what this guy is saying? He knows the program - he is trying to tell us in a kind way that at this point DeRuyter = Neuweasel in 1995.

Lil Rickie was never a coordinator anywhere, only a position coach. Was given the CU HC by Regent Jimmie Martin ramrodding the search.

DeRuyter has shown he can improve a squad over time, three times now, not degrade one like Rick did on three separate occasions.

I don't understand why we have to be so careful about coaches with "prior incidents". What is the reason for this? Just because of the Barnett non-scandal?

I keep coming back to this too. We all know it was just as you say, a non scandal. So lets not limit ourselves, these good coaches with "prior incidents" I have to believe would be on their absolute best behavior. Petrino wins games. Tressel, wins games. leavitt won games. Shoot for the moon and let's get back on top!

The reason we won't touch a HC with any "prior incident" is because the administration isn't really 100% committed to a top notch football program despite their claims otherwise. They'll change some things and they'll figure out a way to build facilities, but the new HC needs to be squeaky clean and needs to stay that way. Same goes for the players

i am fine with tim... good resume hc, dc,,should have ties to both cali and tx for recruits .. cu will be far better off than last year's coaching ineptitude.. im sure deruyter knows what he is up against... crushed us like an egg this year and coulda put up 100. plus he's actually wants to coach cu instead of us having to beg someone

we need the facilities comittment ! this needs to be done to bring cu football into the same ballpark with the rest of the pac 12.. otherwise no matter who the coach is this program will continue to struggle

The reason we won't touch a HC with any "prior incident" is because the administration isn't really 100% committed to a top notch football program despite their claims otherwise. They'll change some things and they'll figure out a way to build facilities, but the new HC needs to be squeaky clean and needs to stay that way. Same goes for the players

How many other programs are willing to touch a HC with "prior incidents?"

Wouldn't you agree that schools like Auburn and Tennessee and even Arkansas have much more of a "win-at-all-costs" attitude? And yet even those schools are staying far far far away from Petrino and Tressel. That should tell you all that you need to know.

Petrino and Tressel may get back into coaching, but it will have to start at someplace small, like UTEP or San Jose State or someplace like that. An athletic department that can pay super cheap and not be financially ruined by NCAA sanctions.

How many other programs are willing to touch a HC with "prior incidents?"

Wouldn't you agree that schools like Auburn and Tennessee and even Arkansas have much more of a "win-at-all-costs" attitude? And yet even those schools are staying far far far away from Petrino and Tressel. That should tell you all that you need to know.

Petrino and Tressel may get back into coaching, but it will have to start at someplace small, like UTEP or San Jose State or someplace like that. An athletic department that can pay super cheap and not be financially ruined by NCAA sanctions.
IMO, Tressel is a no go for any program, at least until his 5 year show cause is over. Too much risk, even for a small school.

As for Petrino, I think he'll get a shot next year. I guess the fact he was fired from an SEC school shows just how toxic he is right now :lol: Maybe he will have to go the small school route first.

My point on CU was that even a guy like Rich Rod (with his 20+ hr week UM infractions -- not saying he's available, just example) or a guy like Leavitt or any HC with even minor past infractions are probably off the list. The administration is "committed to winning", as long as they can claim they're doing it without cutting corners, and IMO, that means squeaky clean records.

Lil Rickie was never a coordinator anywhere, only a position coach. Was given the CU HC by Regent Jimmie Martin ramrodding the search.

DeRuyter has shown he can improve a squad over time, three times now, not degrade one like Rick did on three separate occasions.
No he hasn't. He has been a head coach exactly 1 year. I see a long time DC with a history of bouncing around at primarily smaller schools.

Back