What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time for Montez?

Sefo is not getting ripped for just one game.
This. We are pointing out the flaws in his abilities. He is making the same mistakes that he made 2 years ago. We are not seeing any improvements in ability or decision making. He is not to blame alone, there are numerous issues then just him.

What's up with Steven Montez? All my friends in Austin are telling me Texas should have recruited him. Looks like now would be a good time to find out why.

If Montez is the best QB on the roster he should have started the opener. I doubt the coaches are going to determine he's now the best after 1 game. Now if they want to start getting Apsay some 1st team reps in practice in case Sefo's leash has been shortened, I'm fine with that.

Me too. But it may be time to see what he has to offer. We know what we have with Sefo and its not enough. Lots of other freshman starting...UCLA. Mizzu, look at what the BYU qb also. Worth a shot...

Three years. That's a trend, right? Is three years a trend? I'm pretty sure three years is a trend.
What is this three year trend you are speaking of?

2012: #120 (17.8)
2013: #87 (25.4)
2014: #67 (28.5)

Me too. But it may be time to see what he has to offer. We know what we have with Sefo and its not enough. Lots of other freshman starting...UCLA. Mizzu, look at what the BYU qb also. Worth a shot...
UCLA is starting the #1 QB in the nation in the 2015 class and the #2 overall player. BYU has to start a freshman because Hill got hurt for the season. Mizzou is starting a RS-Jr QB. So where are all these freshman that are starting?

I'm talking about Sefo's "progression". Which is what we were all talking about. Of course, you knew that and chose to throw some meaningless statistics into the conversation. Sefo wasn't here in 2012… But I digress - you also knew that but were just trying to deflect. Carry on.

I'm talking about Sefo's "progression". Which is what we were all talking about. Of course, you knew that and chose to throw some meaningless statistics into the conversation. Sefo wasn't here in 2012… But I digress - you also knew that but were just trying to deflect. Carry on.

Good luck on getting a straight answer.

If he keeps ****ing up, I don't mind another qb getting some reps. It's a slippery slope with Montez though. You can **** a guy up like that if he's not ready to go. If anybody, I'd say Apsay. I think we already know what Gherke has.

As to the OP, the only reason you bring in Montez is if you think the season is salvageable. it's not. So it makes no sense to try that now or at any time during this season. I fully expect to see a lot of him next year, though.

Trying to deflect?? Uh no.

Sefo progressed from his freshman season to his sophomore season. Why don't we give him more than a game to show improvement this season? Oh that's right, the season is over in your mind and Sefo has already reached his ceiling and he is just terrible.

Trying to deflect?? Uh no.

Sefo progressed from his freshman season to his sophomore season. Why don't we give him more than a game to show improvement this season? Oh that's right, the season is over in your mind and Sefo has already reached his ceiling and he is just terrible.

really?

His completion percentage ticked up, his average per attempt actually went down, his TD/INT ratio basically stayed the same and his passer rating was nearly identical. Where's this progression you're talking about? He's the same quarterback today as he was when he came here.

BYU's true frosh had a great 1/2 series before their senior made it back onto the field. Announcers mentioned his talented arm, and that he won't be much of a runner. Kid promptly rolled right and gunned a completion throwing against his body, ran for first down, and had another positive yardage play which my mind has failed to stow away. Point is, his talent immediately overcame his greenness. I wouldn't know Montez if he was standing next to me. But, if some of you have and he looks like he's a talent upgrade, let him go get some dirt in his face mask.

Last edited:
Byu's freshman qb is probably 21 years old too. He just hasn't played in awhile is his hiccup. Definitely more mature I'd guess. That's not a knock on Montez. Byu guy was in Chile the last two years.

really?

His completion percentage ticked up, his average per attempt actually went down, his TD/INT ratio basically stayed the same and his passer rating was nearly identical. Where's this progression you're talking about? He's the same quarterback today as he was when he came here.
He's the same QB he was as a freshman?

Alright, sacky, have a great holiday weekend. If that's what you think there's no use to continue discussing this.

BisMontez! We will not let you go. (Let him go!)
BisMontez! We will not let you go. (Let me go!)
Will not let you go. (Let me go!)
Never, never let you go
Never let me go, oh.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Oh, mama mia, mama mia (Mama mia, let me go.)
BeelMacIntyre has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me....

<guitar_riffs>

Credit to @chipwich for this trend: Sefo has thrown at least one INT in 11 out of the last 12 games.

This is what were really talking about and not Montez. I was hoping he would show more care with the ball entering the upperclassman part of his career. He didn't really show that in game 1.

really?

I think he is a better QB than when he got here, but you really do have to wonder if we have seen the ceiling. You also have to wonder how long the leash is now. Realistically, it has to be shortened barring substantial improvement, and soon. Not eight games from now, but next week. I actually wonder if he can even play a clean game at this point.

This is what were really talking about and not Montez. I was hoping he would show more care with the ball entering the upperclassman part of his career. He didn't really show that in game 1.
But, but, he was "throwing it away and it slipped".

As to the OP I do see the bunker mentality setting in and that is not a good thing. Whatever it takes for sefo to win I'm all for.

As to the OP, the only reason you bring in Montez is if you think the season is salvageable. it's not. So it makes no sense to try that now or at any time during this season. I fully expect to see a lot of him next year, though.

This. If Montez really is good, I'd rather have the extra year of him down the road when maybe the team is competing for bowls.

But, what makes you all so convinced Montez is the answer? Because he reportedly looked good in fall camp? Surely we know better than to put much stock in reports out of fall camp. Just like this team had really matured. And Ross is gonna be a breakout star (like Bobo the year before him). And Sefo's decision-making is improved. And Powell looks like a true lead back (but Adkins seems to have no place on this team). And Crawley and Nembot look like Day 2 NFL Draft picks. Ad nauseum.

I think he is a better QB than when he got here, but you really do have to wonder if we have seen the ceiling. You also have to wonder how long the leash is now. Realistically, it has to be shortened barring substantial improvement, and soon. Not eight games from now, but next week. I actually wonder if he can even play a clean game at this point.
All I'm saying is I'm not going to state he's reached his ceiling yet and he has really the next 6 games to show it.

All I'm saying is I'm not going to state he's reached his ceiling yet and he has really the next 6 games to show it.

I mean, you at least have to admit it is a possibility. Anyone watching has to be wondering it.

BTW, why six games? Do we really have that much time for him to get on track? I don't think so.

I mean, you at least have to admit it is a possibility. Anyone watching has to be wondering it.

BTW, why six games? Do we really have that much time for him to get on track? I don't think so.
I don't believe I've denied it being a possibility. In fact I recall saying that if he doesn't show this year then he's likely hit his ceiling during the offseason.

6 games is a arbitrary number. No real reason for that number, just kind of a point of emphasis.

I don't believe I've denied it being a possibility. In fact I recall saying that if he doesn't show this year then he's likely hit his ceiling during the offseason.

6 games is a arbitrary number. No real reason for that number, just kind of a point of emphasis.

I guess this is where the point of contention lies. You talk about if he doesn't show "this year" or throwing out the six game mark. I think what I and others are saying is why the need to wait so long to start drawing conclusions. He has the experience, there is no need to play the long game here. The sense of urgency needs to be here now.

Is our losing a QB problem or a team problem? I think the latter. Even if, and I don't believe it to be the case, Montez was a better QB than Sefo is he better enough to win us 4,5, or 6 more games. That one I am sure is not the case.

We have a QB that makes mistakes that I at least partly attribute to he being forced to play before he was ready and forming bad habits. Let's solve that by throwing another QB to the wolves before he is ready to play so we can screw him up as well.

As somebody mentioned early in the thread the most popular guy on almost any losing football team is the back-up QB, at least until he plays then we find out that no he isn't the savior and no we aren't going to suddenly win a lot of games with him playing.

Mtn, you continue to crack me up. Never willing to acknowledge that Sefo might just be nothing more than an average QB, always has to be something else.

And the thread is titled Montez, but this thread could mean any of the backups. Not sure why it should be out of the question.

Back