What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time for Montez?

I believe that Lindgren's system is designed to allow a team to be able to compete even with a mediocre quarterback. It's so QB-friendly that if you can get yourself a QB on the level of an NFL clipboard holder like David Fales (6th round pick), the team has a chance to win a ton of games.

I believe that Lindgren's system is designed to allow a team to be able to compete even with a mediocre quarterback. It's so QB-friendly that if you can get yourself a QB on the level of an NFL clipboard holder like David Fales (6th round pick), the team has a chance to win a ton of games.
The problem is that Sefo is mediocre at best.

Sefo is what he is. He's not terrible. He has pretty good physical tools. He's a guy who will occasionally have a really good game, but he is below average for a P5 school. He may very well be a very bright guy in the classroom, but I have seen no evidence of a high football IQ. Every QB throws picks, but so many of his seem to be of the "What the hell was that?" variety. He doesn't read defenses well. He usually locks in on his first option. He almost never gets to a third option. He's not a natural leader. He doesn't inspire his teammates. He doesn't scream at them to get their butts lined up when the clock is a factor. It always seems like they're going at 1.5x speed when they need to be 3x in crunch time. His deep throws are inconsistent. The only reason his completion percentage has been so high is because we call so many dink and dunk plays and comeback routes. He is not and never will be a difference maker.

That said, it'd be crazy to throw Montez to the wolves unless he is a truly special talent physically and mentally. I would not be opposed to getting the other backups some meaningful reps if Sefo continues to throw bad picks and nothing I've seen so far makes me believe he won't.

One more thing. I think he could be much more effective if he ran more. He's not elusive, but he's a big guy with good enough speed. If they coached him to fight for yards instead of hook sliding he could pick up a lot of first downs by running through or dragging tacklers. Then again, this is Sefo we're talking about. He'd just fumble more. :cry::ROFLMAO::confused::mad:

Last edited:
Mtn, you continue to crack me up. Never willing to acknowledge that Sefo might just be nothing more than an average QB, always has to be something else.

And the thread is titled Montez, but this thread could mean any of the backups. Not sure why it should be out of the question.

When did I ever say that Sefo was better than average. In the PAC12 he probably isn't even average.

He has some strong points but until he stops throwing poorly timed INTs, until he starts being the guy who makes the plays that turn opportunity into wins he won't be anything special.

I had hoped, and to a degree expected him to be better in some of those areas this year. It's now his third year of starting. He should have been able to do some serious film study in the off season and work on fixing some bad habits in spring ball and fall camp. Hawaii is only a one game sample but so far the evidence is that those things he could change to be better aren't any different than last year. The things he can't change like his limited effectiveness as runner and limited ability to throw a quality deep ball remain.

My question is why do people think that throwing in a true freshman QB, a kid who didn't exactly light up the recruiting world, a kid who even the biggest kool-aid drinkers here acknowledge is a project to be developed is magically going to win us a bunch of games.

I highly doubt that Montez is ready to play. The last thing we need to do is put him into a position where he develops similar bad habits to Sefo and many others who were thrown to the dogs before they were ready. If he were some kind of special talent it may be different but if he were some kind of special talent then he would have had a bunch more offers.

I think playing Montez is a stretch. But there are other QBs on the roster.

Agreed, but if they were any good then there would have been more competition for the job. Montez is the only real unknown about his game time abilities. Play them all and see who wins in the position. We just need something different.

And I wouldn't object to giving them a shot. If Sefo is average to below average Gehrke is solidly below average but has some mobility. Apsay has now had a full year in the system.

If nothing else it may help Sefo to spend some time watching and get a chance to process what he is doing and maybe improve on it. I don't think that any of the other guys on the roster are going to win us any more games than Sefo but in the last 10 they wouldn't have lost us any more either.

I wonder if Aspay is an improvement, frankly. A big part of our problem is that Sefo is the best we have.

Now that it would seem the UCLA QB position is solidified for the foreseeable future, should we offer Dymond Lee as a QB and have him be the DT we need? Enough of the pro style BS, we don't have the talent.

Who do you think could do what? Situational? Aspay would rise to the occasion? Does anyone think Gerke has more to offer?

I think there are a number of ways to do it, but it all comes down to the backups actually playing some this season. These guys need some experience. If that does not happen, Sefo is basically gifted the starting job in 2016, which is not good for anyone.

Now that it would seem the UCLA QB position is solidified for the foreseeable future, should we offer Dymond Lee as a QB and have him be the DT we need? Enough of the pro style BS, we don't have the talent.

This should have been done the moment UCLA offered him as a QB.

Yes to this. On a related note, we should have given Awini more of a shot at QB. If he was good enough to play QB at Air Force, then there is not a doubt in my mind that he could outperform Sefo of given the practice reps.

Yes to this. On a related note, we should have given Awini more of a shot at QB. If he was good enough to play QB at Air Force, then there is not a doubt in my mind that he could outperform Sefo of given the practice reps.

You need to tone it down a bit, you are starting to get ridiculous here.

Yea, you are right. Sefo's 4.0 yards per attempt was impressive. A (somewhat) proven D1 QB like Awini would have no shot of bettering those numbers.

UNJGECh.png

Yea, you are right. Sefo's 4.0 yards per attempt was impressive. A (somewhat) proven D1 QB like Awini would have no shot of bettering those numbers.

Have you watched Awini play QB? Because it does not seem like it from your post.

I have no intent on continuing this argument. Have fun posting, but you might want to dial it back some going forward.

I have no intent on continuing this argument. Have fun posting, but you might want to dial it back some going forward.
Mr. Moderator, What's the point of this board if a paying member can't critique coaching decisions? I'm asking in all honesty because your passive aggressive threats are pissing me off

I really like Apsay's high school film and sounds like he has taken a step forward from last year. Making a change at this point makes no sense, but if we lay an egg again in game two, I really think you have to look at your options. If one thing is for sure, Apsay brings a dimension in the running game that you don't have with Sefo.

Mr. Moderator, What's the point of this board if a paying member can't critique coaching decisions? I'm asking in all honesty because your passive aggressive threats are pissing me off

I am not going to ban you. Spare me the martyr routine.

You just come off as a tad weird with the Jay MacIntyre obsession and now these Awini posts. Hopefully the next 50 posts are better than the first 50.

You're free to post idiotic statements, just as we're free to ridicule you for doing so. Ain't this a great place?

AZ was once at a regional recruiting event, and someone asked him his opinion, respect bro. He also went to the same high school as Kyle Bohler, respect bro.
Remember when he spent all that time pumping his move to Colorado only for him to fall asleep in his car after a drug binge and then blame his subscribers?

Good times. Hey AZ, how's your boy Idle doing?

Back