What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time for Plati to go.

What good is getting rid of Plati going to do? It's not going to fix the on-field problems (unless he's the one talking into Hawk's headset during the games!)...while I agree that what he said in the article is extremely insensitive and inconsiderate, getting rid of him won't do anything to fix the problem...it's clear he loves CU as much as we do (hard not to like a place if you graduate from a school and then work for ~30 years at that place)

Personally, while I've never met Plati, I have e-mailed him on a couple of occasions with questions about CU athletics and he's always been very quick to answer and his responses have always been extremely helpful and have exceeded my expectations...

Link to this guy's original comments? I see two threads about him but haven't read the original remarks.

No clue about what we are talking about.....what were his comments?

"That does not deserve a response" to the reporter that was following up with him on the CU student who asked for his money back for the trip to Cal he made.

"That does not deserve a response" to the reporter that was following up with him on the CU student who asked for his money back for the trip to Cal he made.

Thanks...I guess Dave has a different philosophy than the Oregon coach (who, it seems, did a terrific PR job last year when he agreed to pay up for their flop in Boise).

Not so much that one as the one about the guy "getting his 15 minutes of fame". And his comments about "200 people" in powder blue last year, and his comments about that fan uprising leading up to it. His comments in the past about fans who take their time to talk about the programs he represents on the internet.

I like reading his Plati'tudes. I've heard nothing but good things about his responses to people who e-mail him with questions. But his arrogance and contempt toward the fanbase in general, and especially those who dare to stand up and question the **** show we've been watching for 5 years, is getting damn close to being unacceptable. I wouldn't actually favor firing him, but a long serious ass chewing from Bohn probably wouldn't hurt at this point.

Seriously, screw Dave Plati. SIDs are a dime a dozen. We can get somebody in there who won't insult the fanbase at every opportunity.

I first met Dave when I came to the SID office to pick up credentials as media, STUDENT media, for the visiting team and though it was the day before the Buffs' first Big 12 game of the season he cheerfully fetched my passes and chatted me up briefly, treating me with the same respect I would see him showing everyone in the pressbox the following day at the game. I have several friends who took his class and while they have mentioned his attitude being somewhat off-putting in media dealings regarding the football team, they have mostly good things to say about their time having him as an instructor.

The current coaching regime at CU gets a (deservedly, in the case of the ex-Boise group) poor rap for not embracing the recent, winning history of this program, and Plati is the exact opposite of that. There is nobody who can replace the man at his job as a statistician, historian and above all else an ambassador for the Colorado Buffaloes. I have worked with SIDs on each side of the spectrum and many can be real pricks, much moreso than Dave is accused of being. He is not paid to be impartial. He is in that position to be a true believer at all costs, and trust me he is hurting too with the situation our program has been in since the scandal. But throw negativity at him and it's his job to dismiss it. Case closed.

I agree that his response was poor, but do not agree for calling for his head.

For those of you who want to keep him, how many people does he have to insult before you change your mind? This is OK because the kid is just a student? Seriously, how many times is this arrogant prick going to have to demean and insult the fans and alumni before you finally get fed up with it?

I'm through. I can't stand the jerk. He's easily replaced. We don't need this kind of attitude coming from the AD.

It's his job to be the mouthpeice of the AD, even when that's not an easy job. Perhaps his testiness comes from having to defend something that disgusts him at this current point in time?

Also, I'm not so sure he is easily replaced. He comes across as a regular vault of information on the CU program, and it doesn't just include football. He can just as easily talk about the history of the skiiing team as the history of the football prgram.

One last point: the way that Plati worded it was wrong, but I have a hard time believing that kid asked for reimbursement because he cares so deeply about the program that he was embarrassed to be in attendance. He, like nearly all college-aged males, are attention whores.

It's his job to be the mouthpeice of the AD, even when that's not an easy job. Perhaps his testiness comes from having to defend something that disgusts him at this current point in time?

Also, I'm not so sure he is easily replaced. He comes across as a regular vault of information on the CU program, and it doesn't just include football. He can just as easily talk about the history of the skiiing team as the history of the football prgram.

One last point: the way that Plati worded it was wrong, but I have a hard time believing that kid asked for reimbursement because he cares so deeply about the program that he was embarrassed to be in attendance. He, like nearly all college-aged males, are attention whores.

Point one: Mouthpieces are easily replaced. I'm not sure where we all of the sudden got the idea that Plati is the end all, be all for SIDs. Every school has one.

Point two: We're not talking about a guy who's been doing this job for a couple months. Plati has been the SID since the early 80's. He ought to know damn well how to respond appropriately to a situation like this. He's shown, time and time again, that he's incapable of providing an appropriate response. The kid was only mirroring what some other kid at Oregon did last year. The response from Oregon and the response from CU are 180 degrees different. That's all on Plati. One school came out looking like a classy organization that is working at fostering positive relations with it's students, alumni, fans and supporters. CU came across like a whiny bitch. "You pay your money and you take your chances". What the hell kind of response is that? Do we honestly want to be telling the people who paid good money to take that trip that we don't give a flying green sh*t if they ever take another trip to an away game again?

Oh, man. I'm pissed. This is not the way to get into the good graces of your fans and potential fans. It is a great way to turn people off.

first of all, that student is a narcissistic little prick seeking his 15 minutes of fame and he deserved the response he got...

second of all, anybody who thinks plati, or anybody in the ad for that matter, would come out in support of powder blue is even more naive than i thought you were...

thirdly, plati trained for his position during the fairbanks era so he has seen the program come full circle and probably doesn't like what he sees. but it is his responsibility to advocate for the athletic department and right now they are in "circle the wagons" mode. he is doing his job...

fourth, the pussies from oregon should never have paid that other narcissistic little prick in the first place, anybody who defends that move needs to grow some sack(man)...

fifth, in my direct dealings with plati i have received nothing but complete respect and professionalism. perhaps respect and professionalism is a reciprocal interaction...

plati stays.

first of all, that student is a narcissistic little prick seeking his 15 minutes of fame and he deserved the response he got...

second of all, anybody who thinks plati, or anybody in the ad for that matter, would come out in support of powder blue is even more naive than i thought you were...

thirdly, plati trained for his position during the fairbanks era so he has seen the program come full circle and probably doesn't like what he sees. but it is his responsibility to advocate for the athletic department and right now they are in "circle the wagons" mode. he is doing his job...

fourth, the pussies from oregon should never have paid that other narcissistic little prick in the first place, anybody who defends that move needs to grow some sack(man)...

fifth, in my direct dealings with plati i have received nothing but complete respect and professionalism. perhaps respect and professionalism is a reciprocal interaction...

plati stays.

Well said.

Seems like this kid did it on principle. A protest, of sorts. So its interesting that you are quick to judge, since it seems to me that your username is also a protest of sorts. That, or you are related to Fairbanks.

plati stays.

My biggest questions on Plati are the following:

1) Why are relations with Denver media so bad?

2) Why is the national perception of CU so bad? Is it so hard to get out the message that we've won 4 division titles and the conference championship this decade? Why did CU constantly take it on the chin in the media throughout the Pac-10 expansion talks?

3) Why did the "scandal" get so out of control despite no charges ever being brought against anyone and no major NCAA sanctions coming down?

4) Why have relations with the new media outlets been so poor, even going so far as a legal action involving a fan site?

I have a lot of respect for Plati and know he does a ton of good for CU, but there do seem to be some major failings there too. At the very least, he needs to hire a PR firm.

Seems like this kid did it on principle. A protest, of sorts. So its interesting that you are quick to judge, since it seems to me that your username is also a protest of sorts. That, or you are related to Fairbanks.

the difference being, i am not a narcissistic little prick...

My biggest questions on Plati are the following:

1) Why are relations with Denver media so bad? perhaps the cuad doesn't suck the denver media's **** enough, perhaps the people in positions of power in the denver media have alliances and hidden agendas, perhaps the denver media generally sucks anyway?

2) Why is the national perception of CU so bad? Is it so hard to get out the message that we've won 4 division titles and the conference championship this decade? Why did CU constantly take it on the chin in the media throughout the Pac-10 expansion talks? is it really that bad? i think that gets blown out of proportion. and for your last question, see response to #1

3) Why did the "scandal" get so out of control despite no charges ever being brought against anyone and no major NCAA sanctions coming down? you do know that we had some political and administrative issues during that time period, right? how can you defend against betsy's term of endearment and an out of control governor?

4) Why have relations with the new media outlets been so poor, even going so far as a legal action involving a fan site? this one needs some work. i'll give you that...

I have a lot of respect for Plati and know he does a ton of good for CU, but there do seem to be some major failings there too. At the very least, he needs to hire a PR firm.

This is debatable.

Narcissistic little prick or not, the kid is a paying customer. You don't treat your paying customers like that. It's a great way to lose your paying customers. Furthermore, he was obviously just trying to make a point. A point that still hasn't gotten through Plati's thick skull.

plati stays.

Plati may be a prick, but he's our prick. :smile2:

Sackman needs to chill out on all the drama. :)

Fine. I'll chill on the drama. Until Plati pulls some jackass move again. We know it's only a matter of time.

Fine. I'll chill on the drama. Until Plati pulls some jackass move again. We know it's only a matter of time.

One thing that's super cool about Plati is that I guarantee he'd take the time to speak to you about your concerns, whether via email or a phone call to his office. Maybe you should do that and report back to us? I think a lot of us would be interested.

The people who want Plati gone are nuts. You will not find a more dedicated and respected SID in the NCAA. His job is not to placate the fans; his job is to be a mouthpiece for the athletic department. Regardless of personal feelings he always steps up to the plate and delivers for CU. On more than one occasion Plati has fallen on the sword for this program. I am constantly amazed at how he finds new positives in a bad environment. He is black and gold thru and thru.

:thumbsup: Dave Plati :thumbsup:

The people who want Plati gone are nuts. You will not find a more dedicated and respected SID in the NCAA. His job is not to placate the fans; his job is to be a mouthpiece for the athletic department. Regardless of personal feelings he always steps up to the plate and delivers for CU. On more than one occasion Plati has fallen on the sword for this program. I am constantly amazed at how he finds new positives in a bad environment. He is black and gold thru and thru.

:thumbsup: Dave Plati :thumbsup:

BACK. UP. THE. ****ING. TRUCK.

How do you separate the two? Are you telling me that it's athletic department policy to insult the fans? REALLY?!?!

I guess I'll just have to be content to wait until Plati insults everybody, not just some lowlife student.

Spoken like a true narcissistic little prick... :lol:

I never said that Plati should have supported the powder blue effort. But, like in this case, there was a way to handle it without demeaning and insulting the fans. How about a "we understand the fans are frustrated, we share their frustration, and everybody in the athletic department is working to improve things" instead of "real fans wear black & gold" or "he's looking for his 15 minutes of fame".

It's the implication that fans are out of line for protesting the **** that's going on right now that drives me up a wall.

Back