What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time magazine - If new APR rules had been in place in 2012, CU would have stayed home

MontanaBuff

In the latest Time magazine, there is an article, "2012 - March Madness by the Books". I had read that UConn was not eligible for the 2013 NCAA tournament, but the article goes on to state that if the new rules had been in effect for 2012, a total of 12 schools which were in this year's tournament - including Colorado - would not have been eligible. (CSU would also have been ineligible, while Kentucky, where no one graduates, but has everyone leave in "good academic standing" after a year of 100-level classes, would have been eligible).

Any insights as to CU's present APR status (I know it's a four-year rolling average, and that CU had been penalized a scholarship a year or two ago - but I thought the Buffs had significantly improved their APR the past two years), and how likely are the chances of the Buffs being ineligible for 2013, would be appreciated ...

I can't read the article b/c I am not a Time subscriber. But the article is called Bench Bracket. Low graduation rates will drop schools out of March Madness. I can't commnt on the article but doing a little research I don't think CU is in any APR issues in mens hoops. CU had lost one scholership a couple years ago, but the latest APR report released on 5-24-11 showed the men's basketball team improved to a perfect annual score. There were no grade issues in the first semester and Damiene Cain left school in good academic standing.

Yeah, this smells like someone messed up. In 2010 we reported a 926, so if we reported a score near 1000 like jgisland says for 2011, we shouldn't have any problems for a two year average.

I really wish I could read the article b/c I despise irresponsible reporting like this.

But here is some more info.

From an article on May 24, 2011, titled:
[h=1]CU's APR rate highest since NCAA's program began [/h] -- The men's basketball team continued its dramatic improvement, in 2009-10 recording its first perfect 1000 annual score since the creation of the APR. That, despite a transition in coaching staff which usually causes a loss of APR points. The four-year score, after three years below 900, jumped to 926 in the report, with those same predictors indicating continued improvement next year. Clough again cited the first-year coaching staff led by Tad Boyle, former coach Jeff Bzdelik and his staff, the team, and all those who played a role in academic support. Thus, this was also a great improvement after the men's basketball program was penalized after the 2008-09 report, which resulted in a one-year reduction in scholarships from 13 to 12 (taken in 2008-09).

Back