What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

timing of a firing...

I don't think they will but they certainly can. Let's get real for a second: nebraska isn't nearly as good as they think they are. They'll win games (thanks sun belt teams) and beat the bad teams but they'd get hosed by Texas just like any other north team. Their fans know it too. They're in here gloating over how bad we are but all the schadenfreud in the world isn't going to help them become elite again. They are what we've always thought they were. A good program with elite facilities and a proud history but in a miserable barren wasteland of a state. If you're a recruit do you choose a school like Florida or neb? Queue fusker response: "b..but. in the 90's we got the top talent with no problem". So did we. So did Kansas State. Times are just different now. Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, Mack Brown and a few other have just about locked down their pipelines and schools in the flyover states have to fight over whatever's left. Scheduling 4 creampuffs at home and having 8 home games a year will get crazy bo and company to 9-10 wins most seasons but to what end?

I agree, but also disagree.....Bo has this team playing like the old NU teams. Bo understands NU tradition and the BIG 12, Hawk does not.

:stupid:

Exactly. That's the thing, even if they fire Hawk, who are they going to get, at this point? And don't come at me with some bull**** pipe dream. I want to know who, for the kind of $$$$ CU is willing to shell out, are they going to get that's any better??? Not to mention, I'm not sure I want Bohn picking his replacement, anyway. If I were in charge and this did end up being another ****ty season I would clean house. Bohn, Hawk and Buzz....all gone.

And Bienemy? Seriously?? Yeah he can recruit and I'd love to have him back as an assistant, but as head coach????? WTF are you people smoking and where can I get some?

Bienemy couldn't possibly be any worse than Hawkins. Considering that Hawkins apparently didn't deem it necessary to work on a hurry up offense during the offseason and thinks running a sweep with your slowest RB on 4th and 1 is a good idea.

At least Bienemy would presumably be committed to the run and running over people. It's not necessarily an ideal hire and I'd like to see the CU administration aim a little higher but mentioning him hardly justifies the derision your directing at those people.

And while I agree that it's too early to fire Hawkins, I think talk like this is good because it helps to create a hot seat, and sometimes a hot seat can serve as good motivation.

Bienemy couldn't possibly be any worse than Hawkins. Considering that Hawkins apparently didn't deem it necessary to work on a hurry up offense during the offseason and thinks running a sweep with your slowest RB on 4th and 1 is a good idea.

At least Bienemy would presumably be committed to the run and running over people. It's not necessarily an ideal hire and I'd like to see the CU administration aim a little higher but mentioning him hardly justifies the derision your directing at those people.

Saying "he couldn't possibly be worse than Hawkins" is both

1. Not necessarily true
2. Even if true, not enough of a reason to hire him.

The whole point of getting rid of Hawkins would be to get someone BETTER. Bieniemy has never been anything more than a position coach in college or the NFL. It would be a truly desperate move.

Saying "he couldn't possibly be worse than Hawkins" is both

1. Not necessarily true
2. Even if true, not enough of a reason to hire him.

The whole point of getting rid of Hawkins would be to get someone BETTER. Bieniemy has never been anything more than a position coach in college or the NFL. It would be a truly desperate move.

I wasn't advocating hiring him, I was disagreeing with you for deriding people for suggesting him as if it were crazy. Hawkins is a buffoon who, in retrospect, got the job because Chris Petersen is a really good coach and did all of the heavy lifting at Boise State.

Bienemy went to CU, so he's not mentally retarded and was a freaking RB. This means that he would not be running sideways when his O-line his bigger than the opposing D, and he wouldn't be relying on his slowest RB on a sweep play on 4th and 1. That alone makes him better.

And again, this is not praise of Bieniemy, so much as it is an indictment of Hawkins who is obviously clueless.

They won't fire him until the end of the season, personally I would hope they did it sooner than later so that whatever recruiting class you have in place doesn't blow up too late to repair.

The next four games will be telling. If Hawk wins under the lights on the road on national TV in Toledo and in Morgantown, and the team doesn't get tossed around like a chew toy in Austin, then the search committee can be put on hold.

If CU ends up 1-4 or worse and UT hangs half a hun on the Buffs again, then it's time for Misters Benson and DiStephano to make some discrete phone calls. If they are good planners, they might have a contengency plan at the ready.

Giving Coach Hawkins the ax means also losing a bunch of key players. When a big ship sinks, the there will always be a bunch of little boats pulled down in it's wake.

Scrapping the Hawkins experiment means 4 more years of mediocrity. So what's better? Mediocrity + stability, or mediocrity + volitility?

The next four games will be telling. If Hawk wins under the lights on the road on national TV in Toledo and in Morgantown, and the team doesn't get tossed around like a chew toy in Austin, then the search committee can be put on hold.

If CU ends up 1-4 or worse and UT hangs half a hun on the Buffs again, then it's time for Misters Benson and DiStephano to make some discrete phone calls. If they are good planners, they might have a contengency plan at the ready.

Giving Coach Hawkins the ax means also losing a bunch of key players. When a big ship sinks, the there will always be a bunch of little boats pulled down in it's wake.

Scrapping the Hawkins experiment means 4 more years of mediocrity. So what's better? Mediocrity + stability, or mediocrity + volitility?

I agree with a lot of what you said.

Where I differ, is that I think we could lose key players if changes aren't made. i.e. -- it would not surprise me at all to see DS leave right now.

Also, CU is in a different position than when GB left. We have much, much more talent, and especially young talent.

The right coach should easily have these kids in a bowl THIS year, or next year at worst. I just have no confidence that DH will get them there.

In football, there is nothing worse than mediocrity. A gamble is much better. So I vote for talent + unknown vs. any of the mediocrity scenarios...

I agree with a lot of what you said.

Where I differ, is that I think we could lose key players if changes aren't made. i.e. -- it would not surprise me at all to see DS leave right now.

Also, CU is in a different position than when GB left. We have much, much more talent, and especially young talent.

The right coach should easily have these kids in a bowl THIS year, or next year at worst. I just have no confidence that DH will get them there.

In football, there is nothing worse than mediocrity. A gamble is much better. So I vote for talent + unknown vs. any of the mediocrity scenarios...

Your point is well made. I'm operating under the assumption that Hawkins has control of the locker room. When I think about J-Fly, Ballenger, or Maiva, that assumption could be wrong. I suspect a number of players on this club would take a bullet for Dan Hawkins. Losing rivalry games has a way of changing things.

YI'm operating under the assumption that Hawkins has control of the locker room.

You just nailed my biggest concern with the program right now.

I have no idea what the players are truly feeling toward 'Hawk.

If they still believe in him and his system, then CU still has a shot this year.

If they don't....

"I feel way more comfortable. I actually believe the plays we call, the schemes we do, I actually believe they are going to work. Last year, I was guessing like, man this is not going to work so I’m just going to try to do my own thing… We actually believe in what we are doing now."

“Last year, we had the talent, we just didn’t have coaches to showcase it. Now, we have coaches that actually do that,” running back Chris Polk said late Saturday night, after Washington outgained and surprised No. 11 LSU, yet lost 31-23 because of costly mistakes that ensured the UW’s 15th consecutive loss.

Both of these quotes came from UW Husky (#1), 4* RB Chris Polk who committed to USC and then decommitted to attend UW. He was injured early as a pure 18 year old freshman last year and was the #1 RB for UW facing LSU.

Side note: Last year he looked like a small high school dud. This year, with good coaching, he's looking like a complete and stud RB, and he's still just a RS Frosh...

UW's problem last year wasn't talent. It was the cr@ppiest attempt at coaching in all of college sports. 9 months in the weight room with quality coaching, and UW barely lost to a Top 11 team, despite running 84 to their 48 offensive plays and controlling the clock by 12 minutes more (turnovers and big plays were the difference).

Same players. Different coaches. A year ago UW would have lost to LSU 58-7. This year they lost by 8. The only difference was coaching.

PS -- Chris Polk also said that last year he thought about dropping football because it was no longer fun. Only the coaching change kept him from leaving the program...

In a nutshell, this is my concern with CU right now. 'Hawk either cannot game plan, or he has lost his players confidence, or both.

I really want to eat crow on this. I really, really do. I just can't see 'Hawk as being anything other than a perennial 6-7 win coach at best in the Big XII. That is not good enough for CU. Period.

Back