What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

To the Haters: CU had the #7 Sched in the Nation

Way over board. I think any "Fan" wants to see progress. I don't want to see these inane statements like "Hawk better go 8-4 next year and blah-blah-blah". It's assinine to make statements like that without considering everything about the program.

Next year's schedule is softer. We lose a couple key guys on the DL, but we should be stronger in every other area next year due to having another year to get older and get some injured/redshirted/ineligible bodies back. If we get a couple kids who can contribute quick (like WR)....

So yeah, we obviously should win some more games next year. Should it be 10? Who knows? Let's measure success with all the tools we have. It ultimately comes down to W/L only, but I'm not ready to judge the progress YET on W/L only. When you are building the foundation, you can't be worried about the exterior paint.

We got a QB position to settle. I saw some good things in Hansen, but he was far from the "best guy to get us wins" at the conclusion of the season. Can he be?

This question is the #1 question we face next year (as I'm reasonable confident our O-Line will benefit greatly by a year of healing and maturing). The foundation we are setting looks solid to me and I really hope we find a QB who can run this thing. Cody has so many limitations that I fear we can be just so-so with him at the helm. That may be the best we got, but if Hansen can learn to stand in the pocket under pressure AND make good decisions, then we got a QB who can take us to another level a whole lot quicker. The difference between so-so and REALLY good is the difference between the Alamo Bowl and playing for the conference championship in 2010.

Patient fans are hoping for the best long-term solution to get the experience in 2009. Inpatient fans want it all in 2009 and that might mean living with Cody rather than risk turnovers and mistakes from a less experienced alternative.

And let's not forget that we were a few points from 3 wins in both of the last two seasons. We are on really shaky ground when you consider those home blowouts we had vs. EWU, ISU, and KSU. We have not yet been a good football team.

You're not exactly inspiring any confidence with this post. You're basically saying "wait a while longer" because you have confidence things will turn around, but you're not willing to put pressure on the coaches to actually win some games. That's pathetic.

If you cannot agree that the Buffs should have a winning season next year, I don't know what to say. That's not burdening them with high expectations.

You're not exactly inspiring any confidence with this post. You're basically saying "wait a while longer" because you have confidence things will turn around, but you're not willing to put pressure on the coaches to actually win some games. That's pathetic.

If you cannot agree that the Buffs should have a winning season next year, I don't know what to say. That's not burdening them with high expectations.

It will be year 4 and some fans act like this is a 20 year rebuilding program. CU is being passed by teams I wouldn't think of, the time to start winning is now.

Nobody is asking for a big 12 championship or NC in 2009,just a winning season. Damn, grab some onions people and expect more than this.

It will be year 4 and some fans act like this is a 20 year rebuilding program. CU is being passed by teams I wouldn't think of, the time to start winning is now.

Nobody is asking for a big 12 championship or NC in 2009,just a winning season. Damn, grab some onions people and expect more than this.

You can only sell "we're rebuilding" to recruits for so long. We're learning that the hard way right now. Another season like this one and it only gets worse. OTOH, a surprisingly good season would be huge.

Realistically, our schedule wasn't any tougher than the likes of KU and NU. We had some unfortunate injuries, but we won't be able to use that excuse next year.

Next year we NEED to see at least 7 wins. I like Hawkins, it's time for him to lead this program UP.

I generally don't grab onions....NTTIATWT, just not my "bag".:smile2:

Tough schedules are the most overrated statistic in the NCAA...the NCAA rewards teams based off of wins and wins only...to be honest (as much as it pains me to say this) I think teams like Nebraska & Kansas are smart to understand this and schedule 4 patsies in the non conference games knowing that if they win in the Big 12 as well they then have a shot at a BCS bowl.

As much as it's fun to see the buffs play good teams like FSU, UGA, WVU etc. etc. it really doesn't do us much favors...any loss in OOC play and you're behind the rest of the big 12, so why take the gamble?

on one hand you say its overrated as a stat, and then you sound like we should change our strategy. I don't think that we play strong OOC for the stat... we play it to fill up the stadium because our fans are fickle.

my point earlier is there is something to gain by looking at the strength of schedule when evaluating a team's record. I'm not into moral victories, or winning stat wars, but it is good to consider that we were banged up and we played a tough OOC and our B12 road schedule was rough.

we need to have a winning season next year. no doubt about it.

on one hand you say its overrated as a stat, and then you sound like we should change our strategy. I don't think that we play strong OOC for the stat... we play it to fill up the stadium because our fans are fickle.

my point earlier is there is something to gain by looking at the strength of schedule when evaluating a team's record. I'm not into moral victories, or winning stat wars, but it is good to consider that we were banged up and we played a tough OOC and our B12 road schedule was rough.

The argument I was trying to make is that a touch strength of schedule might be great as a stat and argument to throw out but the problem is that the NCAA/voters don't reward teams that play a tough schedule...wins are all that matters.

I agree we do it to fill the stands, but I believe we'd make up attendence shortages in the Big 12 if we start out 4-0 after every non-conference like kNu does...teams like KU last year who play absolutely noone tough, have a great record and then play in the Orange Bowl...that reward and benefit is much greater than playing a tough OOC schedule to start and end up with a few losses and no hope at a BCS bowl.

It's messed up, but that's how it is unfortunately...Also note that if you schedule 3-4 walkovers you can most likely pay and get them all at home and then end up playing 8 home games and make up extra revenue there as well...I wonder if the reason we don't do that is a money thing though? (as in we can't afford to pay 3 patsy's to come play in Boulder)

Just take one of the teams off the ooc. CU doesn't and hasn't gained anything by playing 2 top 25 teams every OOC. Play one. CU is behind the 8-ball already with $$$,attendance,facilities etc... why shouldn't CU go out and play the same schedules as the rest of the big 12?

It helps when you are beating these teams on a regular basis which cu is not.

Bottom line is wins and cu needs them bad.

Just take one of the teams off the ooc. CU doesn't and hasn't gained anything by playing 2 top 25 teams every OOC. Play one. CU is behind the 8-ball already with $$$,attendance,facilities etc... why shouldn't CU go out and play the same schedules as the rest of the big 12?

It helps when you are beating these teams on a regular basis which cu is not.

Bottom line is wins and cu needs them bad.

I fully agree but who could we schedule that would result in us selling at least 50K tickets? from a cash flow stand point its important. That's why the CSU game sticks around.

I fully agree but who could we schedule that would result in us selling at least 50K tickets? from a cash flow stand point its important. That's why the CSU game sticks around.

Yeah, but like I said earlier I think you can make up for it by only selling 40K tickets and playing an extra home game each year....kNU and others regularly plays 8 home games and we're looking at only 6 home games the next 2 seasons

If you play 1 tough game you have to schedule a home & and away...and 1 team like that I'm fine with....but then you can pay 3 crap teams for a nominal price to just come to Boulder and play at home giving us an extra home game

Why we would ever schedule a home & away with Miami (OH) still baffles me??

Why we would ever schedule a home & away with Miami (OH) still baffles me??

Only reason that makes sense to me is to try to establish some presence back in the Ohio area?? Without the ass kicking that going to Blowhio State might entail... :huh:

Buffs have always played a tough schedule (except when upchuck fairbanks was around) It really pains me to mention his name in any conversation!@#$%^&

Colley ranks the schedules like this:
UT-#4
OU-#9
BU-#10
KU-#21
NU-#23
CU-#28

Massey ranks the schedules like this:
OU-#3
UT-#4
TT-#11
NU-#12
KU-#16
CU-#17
Anderson & Hester ranks the schedules like this:

BU-#3
OU-#5
UT-#6
CU-#9
NU-#13
MU-#21

cu went from #7 (usa today) to #28 (colleys). Sounds to me like you can pick the best number for rank of schedule. i.e. cu #9, NU #13 (A&H) or NU #12 or cu #17. I would think the numbers would be a little more consistent than this.:rolleyes:

Colley ranks the schedules like this:
UT-#4
OU-#9
BU-#10
KU-#21
NU-#23
CU-#28

Massey ranks the schedules like this:
OU-#3
UT-#4
TT-#11
NU-#12
KU-#16
CU-#17

Anderson & Hester ranks the schedules like this:

BU-#3
OU-#5
UT-#6
CU-#9
NU-#13
MU-#21

:huh: OKAY.....I'm a little perplexed, isn't schedule strength based on W's and L's? Seems pretty black and white unlike recruiting rankings

I would think the variation comes in with some guys factoring 2nd order SOS and things of that nature.

Ultimately, I think CU needs to win next year or recruiting is going to take a severe hit. Can you really tell a player in your 5th cycle - which will be Hawks next class after this one, despite the limitations on the first class - that you are still rebuilding but have yet to see a winning season? Some guys will buy into that but if we want to see another class even in the realm of the one we saw last year then we need to win [significantly] more than we lose.

One thing about recruiting. It is a several year process with the top kids. They start contacting these kids early. They even get a lot of them into their camps when they are even junior high age. Hawk is going after a different group than he did at Boise, so it takes a while for him to get into the radar of a lot of the top tier players.

Means absolutely nothing. Since scholarship limits came into effect the vast majority of teams ranked between #10 and #60 or #70 are pretty much the same and 50/50 when playing each other on a neutral field. Strength of schedule is great for fans talking **** but means very little in college football.

I liked the part with the SEC not having any in the top 10. Toughest conference my ass. Maybe it's because they all schedule OOC patsies to make up for their oh so tough conference schedule.:rolleyes:

I liked the part with the SEC not having any in the top 10. Toughest conference my ass. Maybe it's because they all schedule OOC patsies to make up for their oh so tough conference schedule.:rolleyes:

Yeah they've got crappy non conference schedules, but it's a league full of NFL players going against one another. In most years there's not a significant talent gap between probably 7 of the 12 teams. In the Big 12 there's Oklahoma and Texas and everyone else. The Big 10 is Ohio State Penn State and Michigan, The Pac 10 is USC and maybe Oregon. The Big East is the Big East. The ACC is the enigma here as it should be more competitive but right now it's just like the Big East.

That's why many consider the SEC to be the toughest conference in the country. This year the Big 12 South has done its part for the Big 12, but the Big 12 North is a division full of future insurance salesmen.

Not a hater

That's just real talk

But folks need to understand that in this new age of college football, CU is one of the top 5 hardest jobs to win at.

Cold weather
No fertile recruiting within 1000 miles
Difficult conference
Difficult admission standards
Iffy fan base (average booster support)
True lack of institutional support
Not a "traditional" power
Today's recruit has seen 12 years of mediocrity out of this program

Any coach that comes to CU will inherit the same problems and have the same struggles.

I say give the guy his 5 years....I might even call for 7 and fully support the dude.
I've got to respectfully disagree with you guys. It's not like we're talking about Laramie or Pullman here. We are talking about Boulder, Colorado. One of the most coveted and beautiful places to live in the entire universe. Also, it is not that cold and the summers and falls are some of the nicest anywhere. The campus is, by far, the nicest and most pictaresque in the Big 12. There is absolutely no reason why some kid from BFE, Texas or Concrete, California would not want to relocate to Boulder. Give it some time folks, the Buffs will be back at the big trough within the next 3 years.

7 years? Really?

That isn't what was advertised, and, regardless of reined in expectations due to this seasons failures, I don't really buy that those were the expectations coming in.

No one realistically expected an overnight turnaround but the past three years have been pretty disappointing.

Back