What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Toby Veal? Deeper probblems with Jeff. Sorry.

patton also left the cupboard bare so bzdelik has been trying to patchn his own... Anyways, it isnt this his 2nd FULL class own his own

Patton did bring in some good players to Boulder. But he wasn't consistent with recruiting. He'd bring in David Harrison and surround him with mediocre players imo. He killed any kind of momentum with his inconsistency.

Pelle, Morandais and even Blair Wilson would have played for most teams in the league . Harrison had a pretty decent supporting cast. the real problem was Ricardo would crap the bed trying to get the ball to big David at the end of close games.

cupboard bare: what is this, the football board? Rich Roby and Marcus Hall were on BZ's first team.

wow 2 whole player... they were graduating that year tell me who patton got after them?

he had a better than middle of the conference class with Vanwright, Silas, Bay, Kowal. the guy quit/lost his job, what is an average college coach eho loses his job/not being renewed for a reason at a school with an apathetic fan base supposed to leave behind a roster full of Sean Mays and Rashaad Mccants types?

Roby and Hall were pretty good college players, and nothing to sniff at.

Patton did bring in some good players to Boulder. But he wasn't consistent with recruiting. He'd bring in David Harrison and surround him with mediocre players imo. He killed any kind of momentum with his inconsistency.

But people are right when they question Bzdelik's recruiting. He hasn't brought in any players near the caliber that Patton lured to Boulder. Jeff's players seem like a bunch of role players. We won't win the Big 12 with those kind of kids.

Ummmm Cory Higgins:confused: All of Bzdelik's recruits are pretty much sophomores...let's let them develop before we pass judgment. I can't believe people are "talking up" Patton:wow: He was terrible at X's and O's and was on campus for a decade and had a what? 25 loss team his last season?

Ummmm Cory Higgins:confused: All of Bzdelik's recruits are pretty much sophomores...let's let them develop before we pass judgment. I can't believe people are "talking up" Patton:wow: He was terrible at X's and O's and was on campus for a decade and had a what? 25 loss team his last season?

i don't think anyone is "talking up" ricardo. what we acknowledge is that EVEN with rico we were never as bad as we've been the last 2 years--and maybe we can point to RP for creating that situation. but for crying out loud, wasn't that long ago we beat 2 final four teams at the CEC and last year we seriously entertained the idea that we might not win a conference game. 0-16.

that's a drop that fans shouldn't be expected to meet with joy and uncritical optimism.

It was sarcasm bcs. No free pass here but again blaming the coaches for things out of their control gets a little tiresome imo

i gathered it was a jokje but i thought you were saying bzzz knocked up veals girl but you meant veal knocked up BZZZZ

I just received an e-mail from Dave Plati. Toby Veal is leaving to be closer to his child, born in 2007. Its just been posted on the CU website. Being away from her was apparently rough on Toby. Good luck to him.

No knock on Toby Veal for wanting to be a dad, because I'm proud of my "dad status", but Bzdelik recruited this guy all the way from Georgia in early 2008, right? Knowing he had a child in Georgia, right?

So it seems a little hypocritical to say "well this makes sense" when we knew full well that Toby had this important obligation back home.

Back to my point. Sorry to pound the drum. Jeff is a dead man walking unless he can bring better players into the program than at least 8 teams in this conference. Even if his recruiting is like 8-9 in the conference, he's a still a good enough coach that we still might crack the top 4-5 in the conference. And I do think that JB is the kind of guy that would build on a once in a while NCAA appearance, unlike Patton.

He's got more guys coming in this year than in the prior 2 years I think? So we should have a very good idea of his eye for recruiting after these guys settle in and start to earn some PT.

Last edited:
This thread is very interesting. I watched a lot of basketball during Patton's tenure. While it was never great, Patton definitely had his moments. Also, other posters are correct-Patton's recruiting was significantly better. You can argue player development all you want, but he had some talent. Not quite sure you can say the same about the current outfit.

Also, I continue to be amazed at how current CU coaches seem to get a free pass at anything that goes. I support Buzz, but damn, it cannot be a surprise people are not happy about where the basketball program sits right now.

we get it you hate bzdelik and loved retardo patton

It doesn't sound like you "get" anything. It sounds like history doesn't mean zip to you because you're young and never really watched what good coaches had to go through to build a winning program in this conference. Well sorry but those of us who've been watching a while have seen what it takes. It takes recruiting and good coaching, in that order.

Following so far, or am I going too fast for you?

It was past time for Patton to leave and he was shown the door. He did some good things, including raising our expectations. And the talent level was down when he left, even with Roby & Hall. The program didn't have 8-9 solid Big 12 players; they had like 4-5, and all but 2 of them were very young and far away from home.

I don't really give a wet fart if you think I'm a Patton shill, but you can't even BEGIN to argue with this: Bzdelik took a look at the talent level and cleaned house. While that was tough for some of us to accept, the reasoning was that he'll bring in players more suited to his style of play. He hasn't done that yet. He's had some nice recruits, but one Cory Higgins every 3-4 years won't earn you much in this conference.

HOWEVER I recognize that it takes a couple seasons for any player to get accustomed to this style of play. So yes, we do need to see how these players develop under his domain.

Remember that Patton got all kinds of crap for losing his own players. That same standard should apply today as it did then. And as Mick said above, we're very possibly looking at 3 basement finishes in 3 years under Jeff. I wonder how many years it's been since that happened to CU?

Perhaps you should go research that, since you seem to have no sense of the history behind this program.

RP brought in talent to CU, and furthermore, his list of players that we almost got is also impressive (Q Richardson and Larry OBannon come to mind). However, I feel like our program is headed in the right direction with Bz (RP was just too dumb with the Xs and Os). As a fan, you all had to have been expecting a horrible season last year, and that's what we got. I was hoping for some better success his first season, but whatever...

I'm really disappointed that Veal is leaving, but he was not going to make or break next season. He could have contributed well, but seeing how he didn't play much last season, I was not expecting too much of an impact from him this season. We need other guys to step up - particularly their inside play.

I forgot who wrote it, but I am expecting 6-8 wins in conference next season. Sure, we were more competitive during Patton's time, but it just seemed like our prgoram was going to keep sliding in the direction of his last season. That's what he left, and unfotunately, Bz hasn't been able to redirect the ship as quickly as we hoped. Give him two more years and then start calling for his head if we're still sucking it up.

Bzdelik has recruited much, much bettern then Patton imo. Better coaching hopefully takes us to the tournament

I strongly disagree with that statement. I have followed CU basketball since the Days of Sox Walseth and Patton and Bill Blair were the two best recruiters that CU has had over the past 40+ years. Patton brought in a lot of quality players.

Everyone likes to say the cupboard was bare when Bz came into the program but that is not true, IMO. The last class that Patton brought in was considered by many to be the best CU recruiting class ever. It was Bz that decided to run off most of that class making the cupboard bare.

Last year Higgins was the only Bzdelik recruit that looked like he was a Big 12 starting level player. Default has potential but needs to improve.

You have to have talent before the Xs & Os make a difference...CU was overmatched against most teams in the Big 12. That looks to continue.

Perhaps you should go research that, since you seem to have no sense of the history behind this program.

That the program has been crap for about 40 years and that I have a better chance banging Kim Kardashian tomorrow than Coach B bringing in top-line McDonalds All-Americans every year to a dump like the Coors Event Center and to a program that barely any basketball success to speak of.

And all these "great" players that Patton brought in that were allegedly kicked off by coach B, where are they now? I guess I'll be seeing them drafted in the NBA later this month. :lol:

Also take note that the Big 12 at this moment is much better than it was during most of Patton's tenure.. Coach B will have a difficult time turning this around and should be given at least four years to do it.

Its disappointing we aren't further along, but I wasn't expecting a complete miracle turnaround by year two.. Recruiting rankings are nice and fun to look at it, but it doesn't always translate into automatic victories. Coaching is much more important in the college game than in the pro game.. Coach B can get some rag-tag like players and build the program into a winner without a bunch of 4 or 5 star-like players..

Last edited:
Also take note that the Big 12 at this moment is much better than it was during most of Patton's tenure..

that's hard to say. from 00-06 or so UT, OSU, KU, and OU all had multiple trips to the Final Four and Elite 8. MU, the Elite 8 and even Tech a Sweet 16. coaches in the league: Roy/Self, Knight, Eddie Sutton, Sampson, Barnes, Gillespie.

Big XII had a good year last year somewhat unexpectedly and KU won the year before (and will be a monster next year). you've got the superstar factor with Durant, Beasley, and Griffin the last few years but overall....i don't know if it's better. the XII was pretty mighty in the early 00's.

Last edited:
The Big 12 is a killer basketball conference. Killer. It's right there with the Big east, ACC, and Big 10.

The Big 12 is a killer basketball conference. Killer. It's right there with the Big east, ACC, and Big 10.

i used to hedge some about the conference rankings and pretty much give the ACC the top and with the Big East going to 16 teams....that doesn't even really count to me. the ESPN clowns give each other reach-arounds every year about the BE getting 9 or 10 teams like it's unreal. out of 16, that's no more % wise than the Big 8 getting 5 (which happened). I don't what i lack as a sports fan but the Big Ten is kinda boring to me in hoops and football. i appreciate the pagentry and tradition and whatever but i'm usually switching away from a Big Ten game if something else is on.

the XII has been really good the last half-decade or so, for the most part. the detriment to national recognition is that the TV markets are kind of spread out and west of the Mississippi. Kansas winning it all helped....and last year's 2 Elite Eights with Mizzou and OU was also a plus.

jeff bzdeliks quote from the daily camera
“I’m sure there’s doubt in people’s minds because we won 12 games and nine games, but you have to look at the whole picture,” Bzdelik said. “That’s why I said in my first press conference here that I can’t wave a magic wand and have this change overnight. It won’t happen that way. I’ve been true to my word. ...

“We inherited a basketball team that won seven games, that had no competitive spirit, that was undisciplined, and had bad grades. And you look and say, ‘You’ve had a lot of players leave the program.’ But let me ask you a question: Who out of those players who have left the program have gone on to another BCS school? Name one.”
This list of schools where departed ex-CU players landed the past two years includes Cornell, Idaho State, Missouri State, Northern Illinois and UTEP.

“I’m sure there’s doubt in people’s minds because we won 12 games and nine games, but you have to look at the whole picture,” Bzdelik said. “That’s why I said in my first press conference here that I can’t wave a magic wand and have this change overnight. It won’t happen that way. I’ve been true to my word. ...
“We inherited a basketball team that won seven games, that had no competitive spirit, that was undisciplined, and had bad grades. And you look and say, ‘You’ve had a lot of players leave the program.’ But let me ask you a question: Who out of those players who have left the program have gone on to another BCS school? Name one.”
This list of schools where departed ex-CU players landed the past two years includes Cornell, Idaho State, Missouri State, Northern Illinois and UTEP.

I'm really disappointed in Jeff choosing to bring up old players. Time to move on Jeff. Move on.

:yeahthat:

It's like he feels the need to continually remind us of how bad Patton's last year was, and the situation he took over. Ummmmm, hey Bzz we were there, we do remember. And this past season was worse from a conference standpoint.

Last edited:
I'm really disappointed in Jeff choosing to bring up old players. Time to move on Jeff. Move on.

Yep. Seems like that stuff should have remained unsaid. We know he did not walk into the greatest situation, but come on.

i agree with BB and Scotchy, Patton screwed the pooch on the depth chart with the 9 seniors class and then schollied Patterson, Van Burck, Inge who weren't even close to d-1 players. but, Jeff's mention of the "bad situation" is fair in the long haul but it WAS 3 years ago and he took the job here. none of that was mysterious at the time, especially since he beat us by 20 or 30 at AFA.

Last edited:
Saying Bzdelik can't recruit is a bit premature. He inherited a bad program and it was going down, not up. I went to a lot of MBB games this year and the young talent looks pretty good. It's not going to be a quick fix though. There's a lot of holes needing plugged and CU isn't the place you bring in guys who don't get it done in the classroom (like our Purple Friends to the East). Jeff's recruiting guys who are A+ off the court too and it will take awhile to get it pulled together. OJ Mayo isn't coming here to give us the one-year turnaround. Its going to have to be done the Air Force way.

I expecdt we can be pretty good after 5 years or so. Unless a Chauncey falls in his lap, it will be slow progress and the first years have been a bit backward - all expected.

Back