1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tom Bowen for AD....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by ahoelsken, May 30, 2013.

1. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Simple argument for me to make....One of the best fundraising tools at an AD's disposal is the football program. Ours is a mess right now, and I'm concerned that a new guy could can MacIntyre too early to get "his guy" in play. Give Bowen some credit for the renaissance of the SJSU program....as he brought the guy in who fixed it. Like Klatt (and I can't believe I'm quoting him here, either) said, the most important relationship in an athletic department internally is the football coach-AD relationship. Nothing better could be done to send MM the message that he and his staff will get the time they need to fix this like hiring the guy who gave them their first shot at San Jose State.

2. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

How is Tom at running the AD and fundraising? This isn't about Mike, who may be here fifteen years, or three, it is about getting the money for changing the face of CU sports facilities drastically. If Tom has a history of raising big bucks, then sure. I doubt he would leave after such a short time there just for ethical reasons.

3. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Yeah, he's been at Memphis only a year, I'd be surprised to see him turn and leave so quickly.

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Mike Bohn was only at SDSU for one year before coming here.

I really think that what Phil is looking for is a guy who can put the facilities plan together. What Phil doesn't understand is that after this facilities plan, there will be another one. And another one after that, and so on.

5. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

sjsu starting 38mil football complex that he started work on

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Phil and Bruce are concerned about their own legacies. As far as they're concerned, this is the last and culminating athletics facilities project since they'll retire after this.

7. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

DeStafano is G** Da**ed education perfesser for cripes sake! He knows nothing about everything based upon that credential alone. Scary thought that he's allowed to play with matchs, let alone run the Boulder Campus and pick the next AD.

8. sackman

That really adds a lot to the discussion. Thanks for sharing.

9. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

While I believe the bolded to be true, I do not think the University believes it.

10. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

A family friend of ours sits on multiple boards at CU and has been taking her child to CU games her entire life. This child just graduated high school and will be attending Oregon next fall. If not for the football team Oregon wouldn't even get a sniff from kids around the country. Hell, 4 kids from the same high school are going to Oregon next fall.

11. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Some high schools tend to send disproportionate amounts if students to specific Universities and I have no idea why unless they are all buddies and want to stick together. My freshman year at CU I think there were over a dozen kids from the same graduating class at Punahou that all came to CU that year.

12. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

From what I know these 4 kids are not in the same clique. Plus, we have multiple posters on this board who have stated that they attended CU due to the football team's success at the time.

13. sackman

I've heard that Punahou is where to go in Honolulu. Or St Louis. Pretty much no place else is even considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

14. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Makes perfect sense to me and probably most people out there. I hope the University understands.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Puntahou. St. Louis? :wtf: If you want your kid to play football, maybe :lol:. It's Punahou or Iolani, with Punahou being the richest/more well rounded school and Iolani being the best academics.

16. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

You heard right! Except kids that don't get in to Punahou typically go to Iolani :silvercup: (hehehe)

Punahou sends 10-20 kids each to CU, Oregon, UW, USC, etc every year.

17. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I think New Trier had the most out-of-state students every year I was there, like a dozen plus or something.

My year I was the only one from my high school. They usually have 2-4 a year.

18. Darth Snow

You got it reversed!

19. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Oh ****. Here goes the island bitch slap session.

20. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Epic comeback, dude. You totally served him.

21. Darth Snow

Your mom served me better.

22. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Fifth year Senior Club Member

At least at my high school there are certain colleges that come and recruit kids hard academically. Gonzaga and University of San Diego were the big wins for out of state at my high school as was Oregon as well. I think they just throw their name out there and have people actually come from the University and talk to students who are interested.