What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tom Garfinkel - next CU AD?

So would CU be hiring Garfinkel just to fund raise? Or would he be expected to occasional make decisions regarding the competitive status of CU's various sports?

Finances & Facilities come first.

That entails: increasing booster support, increasing corporate sponsorships, increasing fan support, increasing attendance, increasing merchandizing... and getting our coaches everything they need to win championships.

By extension, that flows to: replacing athletic department personnel (including coaches) who don't perform while also making sure the performers are rewarded/ retained... plus making good hires when necessarily.

I think we have an excellent Associate AD in place with Ceal for handling a lot of the aspects related to coaching the coaches.

Sounds like he might be a good fit. However, I'm not sure what kind of success he has had (if any) hiring coaches for any collegiate sports.

Are people really questioning this potential hire because he doesn't have AD experience? He was the CEO of a professional sports team. Before that he was president and COO. He's got experience with renovating athletic facilities, running large companies, and the business of sports. I could really care less if he has AD experience. There are smart people in this organization that can help. We only need someone who's got a specific set of skills and who's willing to learn the business and take advice from people like Ceal who do have experience in an athletic department.

Making the right hires is kind of a big deal. Not exactly a preposterous idea to hire an AD. It doesn't mean this can't work out, maybe he hits it out of the park fundraising. Better be good to fundraise CU given that our fans don't donate because of things like "a walk-on on the football team has red hair and I don't really like gingers".

Last edited:
I think we have an excellent Associate AD in place with Ceal for handling a lot of the aspects related to coaching the coaches.

Care to retract this comment?

Truthfully, I really don't want Ceal anywhere close to a position of authority. In the brief time she's been the interim AD, she has shown a level of incompetence that we cannot afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Care to retract this comment?

Truthfully, I really don't want Ceal anywhere close to a position of authority. In the brief time she's been the interim AD, she has shown a level of incompetence that we cannot afford.

Fully retracted.

I misjudged her.

My initial point was that I'm ok with her coaching the coaches. She was a winner on the court. But she has to stay the hell away from micromanaging compliance issues and messing with budgets.

A great example with the current "everyone cuts 10%" thing: she makes no distinctions based upon which departments are already operating efficiently or which ones are profit centers versus loss leaders. Tad should be cutting in the same way that our Tennis program has to? Really? Football is paying for everything but its budget needs to be cut the same way as everyone else has to? Really? Even though 10% of the Football budget is much more money than 10% of the Volleyball budget? Really?

This is Ceal's plan. This is her idea of fairness. This is how she sees equality. We desperately need a businessperson running the AD. And we desperately need a new Chancellor who isn't a political weasel standing in the way of athletic success.

Anyone find it interesting that when you talk about George and Garfinkel being top canadiates at CU for the AD job, they are coming from baseball teams. I have given up on CU bringing back baseball but with those guys and their backgrounds, you have to wonder...

On phone, no link. But UT SD speculating Garfinkel will be named president of indy car

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Anyone find it interesting that when you talk about George and Garfinkel being top canadiates at CU for the AD job, they are coming from baseball teams. I have given up on CU bringing back baseball but with those guys and their backgrounds, you have to wonder...
I don't think being a team president you need experience with that specific sport per se. Very few team presidents are involved in the day-to-day operations of that specific sport. They are more involved with business and other "big picture" stuff such as signing a big FA (getting the budget to do so). In many cases, they are just a buffer between the owner and GM. In other cases, they are quasi-owners for hands-off owners.

Fully retracted.

I misjudged her.

My initial point was that I'm ok with her coaching the coaches. She was a winner on the court. But she has to stay the hell away from micromanaging compliance issues and messing with budgets.

A great example with the current "everyone cuts 10%" thing: she makes no distinctions based upon which departments are already operating efficiently or which ones are profit centers versus loss leaders. Tad should be cutting in the same way that our Tennis program has to? Really? Football is paying for everything but its budget needs to be cut the same way as everyone else has to? Really? Even though 10% of the Football budget is much more money than 10% of the Volleyball budget? Really?

This is Ceal's plan. This is her idea of fairness. This is how she sees equality. We desperately need a businessperson running the AD. And we desperately need a new Chancellor who isn't a political weasel standing in the way of athletic success.

Can't decide if this make her a Commie, a liberal or just a plain idot. I mean, one set of people would say 'Football makes the most money, so they should give up a higher percentage of the money.'

All joking aside, you have to be a business person. If you HAVE to keep money coming in to fund programs that don't generate money, then you HAVE to figure out what the money making program is, and figure out how to maximize the income potential of that program don't you? If football makes the most money by far, you don't hamstring it, or you will end up in worse trouble. You figure out how to trim costs elsewhere and properly fund the program that makes the cash so that it makes more.

Sad thing is........ they are so concerned about being 'PC' am treating all the programs equally that they might just end up destroying all of them. We need to get rid of the ****ing politicians in Boulder and get a business savvy person to do what is needed to get CU back near the Top 25 every year, with an occasional foray into the top 10. That will drive the income to fund everything else sportswise at CU.

I mean, what the hell? I don't have a bachelors, but I understand business enough to know that you have to SMARTLY spend to make money. Why doesn't anyone up there know that? I keep seeing them go in the opposite direction of proven college sports models. They keep saying they have a unique situation, which is bull****. It is unique because they are a bunch of clowns that want to run it like a juicebox kindergarten class, not a business. I feel bad for Mike Bohn more and more each day. I bet he has fought this crap for years and years, and now he is gone the incompetence is out there more openly each day. I would have NO surprise to hear they did hire Ceal as 'the best candidate that will understand the unique landscape at CU'. If that happens....then we have no hope until Benson, Stiffy, and Barry are all gone. I hope I am wrong.

Fully retracted.

I misjudged her.

Everyone remembers the glory days with Ceal. People seem to forget that, towards the end, things were going south. Kids were jumping ship right and left. Or is that starboard and port?

Back