What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tony Julmisse

No. That was Isaiah Oliver who returned 2 punts this year so far. My guess is that Julmisse doesn't currently have the hands part of that down. Catching a punt is a very unique talent that many "hands" guys can't do reliably. I returned punts for 4 years of high school while not being very elusive or fast. Every week in practice, the Head Coach (who coached the return teams) had it as his #1 goal to replace me and every Friday Night I was out there catching them. The point being, the most electric guy isn't often the best candidate. I'd guess that after JayMac, it's Oliver, and for a reason.
I forget when, but at some point before the season Mac was asked about him returning punts and without hesitation Mac said he couldn't catch punts.

Speaking as someone who's never done either, it seems to me that if you can't catch kickoffs you can catch punts with a little work. They are not so dissimilar. The main difference if knowing when to call for a fair catch vs. knowing when to down it in the end zone.

Speaking as someone who's never done either, it seems to me that if you can't catch kickoffs you can catch punts with a little work. They are not so dissimilar. The main difference if knowing when to call for a fair catch vs. knowing when to down it in the end zone.
Trajectory is way different as well as the having the ability to catch in traffic. On KO you are almost always going to catch the football with no one around you. On PR, you may have to catch it in a crowd.

Trajectory is way different as well as the having the ability to catch in traffic. On KO you are almost always going to catch the football with no one around you. On PR, you may have to catch it in a crowd.
And you also may be about to be smacked in the mouth if you mess up the fair catch call. I would think punts would be much, much, harder.

They're the same in the fact that a player is catching a football. That's where the similarities end, however.

I wonder if JMc may have taken a hit to the head early in the game, before the 1st drop. After the 1st, he backed away from a punt, not because of ASU pressure, and the announcers wondered if he was having trouble seeing. The 2nd fumble, the ball looked to pass thru his arms, not touching his hands. (I'm watching a replay, and with 13 mins left in the 3rd Q, JM backs away from a bouncing punt, and the TV again notes, "he's having trouble with punts tonight" - they saw 2 clear problems before our coaches did)

As his dad/coach said, and I agree some what, their punter Matt Haack really did get the ball long and high -- up into the wind more. And is left-footed, which of course, puts different trajectory on the ball. I'm sure JMac wouldn't use that as an excuse, but it looked like he seemed a little confused about where the ball was going to come down. I thought he should have let 'em go if he couldn't line up the reception perfectly.

I just hearken back to Andre Simmons returning punts. It didn't go well.

Last edited:
They're the same in the fact that a player is catching a football. That's where the similarities end, however.

This, Lots of guys who have no problem with catching a KO have huge problems with punts. Whole different skillset.

If you can catch a wrench, you can catch a punt.

I don't ever remember him returning punts?
I think they put him back there 2 or 3 times. I just remember the first one because I was excited to see what he could do. I think he let one he should've caught hit in front of him and bounce over his head and we lost a lot of field position.

Back