What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 10 Coaches to Replace Hawk - Bleacher Report

I think we'll be very happy with how this turns out. Just a wild hunch.

I hope you are right. as i've intimated before, one thing about keeping Hawk this season is it gives Bohn, Neinas, and whoever a full year to prepare for a probable coaching search....instead of the one month or so they might have had. i think winning 3 sort of blindsided everyone involved...despite the fabled list every AD keeps in his desk, i don't think anyone was prepared to enter the fire/hire cycle last Fall.

Last edited:
Liver is right (I just thew up a little in my mouth for saying that). The move to the Pac should make this a far more attractive place for a potential head coach.

I'm very optimistic about the chances for us to attract a quality head football coach - and good assistants. Just a hunch, but I suspect that the admins are more committed to athletics than we give them credit for. If they truly didn't care, we wouldn't have made this move in the first place. We would have done what Jizla and so many of his ilk suggested, and downsized the department. The move to the Pac is going to enlarge the department.

The CU admin keeps a lot of stuff very close to the vest. I think we'll be very happy with how this turns out. Just a wild hunch.

I agree, I also think that the political storm is affecting the situation. With the state in a budget crunch the admin doesn't want to put the whole school in a bad situation based on perception of the athletic department. Once the elections are passed it will be easier to make those hard decisions that have to be made to get things back on line.

That said I still don't think we will be in position to attract a high quality established BCS coach, our choices will be a top assistant from a successful program, a successful mid-major coach, or a BCS retread. I am not interested in the BCS retread thank you and our last mid-major didn't turn out as well as we had hoped (understatement of the year) so my hope is the top assistant route although just because DH didn't work out shouldn't completely close us off to the mid-major route, it has worked well for other schools in other cases.

I agree, I also think that the political storm is affecting the situation. With the state in a budget crunch the admin doesn't want to put the whole school in a bad situation based on perception of the athletic department. Once the elections are passed it will be easier to make those hard decisions that have to be made to get things back on line.

That said I still don't think we will be in position to attract a high quality established BCS coach, our choices will be a top assistant from a successful program, a successful mid-major coach, or a BCS retread. I am not interested in the BCS retread thank you and our last mid-major didn't turn out as well as we had hoped (understatement of the year) so my hope is the top assistant route although just because DH didn't work out shouldn't completely close us off to the mid-major route, it has worked well for other schools in other cases.

Our two best coaches have been BCS assistants (Crowder & McCartney). I think this is definitely the way to go. Strange, but hiring established head coaches has pretty much always backfired on us. Fairbanks, Barnett and Hawkins were all established head coaches.

Our two best coaches have been BCS assistants (Crowder & McCartney). I think this is definitely the way to go. Strange, but hiring established head coaches has pretty much always backfired on us. Fairbanks, Barnett and Hawkins were all established head coaches.

Despite the way it ended, I don't know that I would lump Barnett in with Fairbanks and Hawk - he was pretty darn successful here.

And again, despite the way it has turned out with Hawk, I don't think we can write off hiring a successful mid-major coach because of his failures. Florida and Ohio St are pretty happy with their mid-major hires.

Despite the way it ended, I don't know that I would lump Barnett in with Fairbanks and Hawk - he was pretty darn successful here.

And again, despite the way it has turned out with Hawk, I don't think we can write off hiring a successful mid-major coach because of his failures. Florida and Ohio St are pretty happy with their mid-major hires.

I agree with you on Barnett. I think on the Mid-Major coach you need to look at their entire pedigree. Tressel had been an assistant at a major college level ( 3 years under Earle Bruce at Ohio State) and Urban Meyer was a graduate assistant at Ohio State and an assistant coach at ND. These experiences help these coaches understand the challenges of coaching and recruiting at the highest levels of college football plus they get mentored by some of the best.

Hawkins had no experience at Div 1a Level outside of his experience at Boise and if you look closely at that experience he was never even a coordinator. I think this lack of the right type of experience left him unprepared to deal with coaching in the Big 12.

I agree with you on Barnett. I think on the Mid-Major coach you need to look at their entire pedigree. Tressel had been an assistant at a major college level ( 3 years under Earle Bruce at Ohio State) and Urban Meyer was a graduate assistant at Ohio State and an assistant coach at ND. These experiences help these coaches understand the challenges of coaching and recruiting at the highest levels of college football plus they get mentored by some of the best.

Hawkins had no experience at Div 1a Level outside of his experience at Boise and if you look closely at that experience he was never even a coordinator. I think this lack of the right type of experience left him unprepared to deal with coaching in the Big 12.

They were GAs and position coaches early on in their career, before moving on to mid-major HC jobs. That's a far cry from being a big time BCS coordinator. Tressel was at Youngstown for like 14 years. I would add Frank Beamer and Paul Johnson to that list too.

Hawk has been awful, but I don't think we should assume that a successful mid-major coach can't be successful here too because of the Hawk experience.

They were GAs and position coaches early on in their career, before moving on to mid-major HC jobs. That's a far cry from being a big time BCS coordinator. Tressel was at Youngstown for like 14 years. I would add Frank Beamer and Paul Johnson to that list too.

Hawk has been awful, but I don't think we should assume that a successful mid-major coach can't be successful here too because of the Hawk experience.

It's not definitive.

But I liken it to the corporate world. If one of the old Fortune 500 companies is looking outside for a new CEO, a hotshot who has built a startup into a major company would be an intriguing candidate. But that candidate would be so much better prepared to deal with the politics, culture and other challenges as well as resources of an older, established corporation if he/she had worked at one prior to the start-up experience. Not having that increases the learning curve and the likelihood of mistakes, thereby reducing the likelihood of success.

Tressel was at Youngstown for like 14 years. I would add Frank Beamer and Paul Johnson to that list too.

i go back and forth on the guy, but Gary Pinkel probably deserves inclusion. though, he was at UW under Don James. MU was dreadful since Warren Powers in the early 80's.

Last edited:
It's not definitive.

But I liken it to the corporate world. If one of the old Fortune 500 companies is looking outside for a new CEO, a hotshot who has built a startup into a major company would be an intriguing candidate. But that candidate would be so much better prepared to deal with the politics, culture and other challenges as well as resources of an older, established corporation if he/she had worked at one prior to the start-up experience. Not having that increases the learning curve and the likelihood of mistakes, thereby reducing the likelihood of success.

That's a fair analogy, but Meyer, Tressel, Beamer - these guys weren't coordinators at a BCS school, they were position coaches at best a LONG time ago. I'm sure they learned something, but to me it's like (using your analogy) the CEO candidate who has built a successful startup saying he was an accountant at a big company 10 years ago...big deal.

Don't get me wrong, having BCS coaching experience is great, but I don't think it's neccessarily a prerequisite for being a successful BCS head coach. I just don't want our coaching search to be limited because Hawk didn't work out.

That's a fair analogy, but Meyer, Tressel, Beamer - these guys weren't coordinators at a BCS school, they were position coaches at best a LONG time ago. I'm sure they learned something, but to me it's like (using your analogy) the CEO candidate who has built a successful startup saying he was an accountant at a big company 10 years ago...big deal.

Don't get me wrong, having BCS coaching experience is great, but I don't think it's neccessarily a prerequisite for being a successful BCS head coach. I just don't want our coaching search to be limited because Hawk didn't work out.

I don't care if they were a position coach or a coordinator. Those years of experience at the BCS level and the mentoring of a strong head coach is important to the development of a head coach. If you were a position coach at Notre Dame or OSU then you were out recruiting the best against the best. By the way both Meyer and Tressel were mentored by Earle Bruce.

I'm a man, I'm 40! Really, I am. but I've got too sweet a gig in Orlando to move back to boulder...Shoot, not only did we go to a Bowl game last year, we won it. :)

Back