What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 10 program rumored to be in NCAA crosshairs

sorry Cam Newton situation stinks far more to me.

They're both the same thing really. The Cam Newton deal looks much worse because of the dollar amount involved, but as others have pointed out in this thread, what is off the books at Oregon?

Cam Newton deal is not closed either, nor should it be. Both situations are bad for college football and the mention of AAU basketball recruiting in the ESPN article is very troubling.

They're both the same thing really. The Cam Newton deal looks much worse because of the dollar amount involved, but as others have pointed out in this thread, what is off the books at Oregon?

Cam Newton deal is not closed either, nor should it be. Both situations are bad for college football and the mention of AAU basketball recruiting in the ESPN article is very troubling.

I suppose there is some stuff that should be looked at with Oregon. The amount of help they get from Nike is insane and I wonder if its just limited to donations and uniforms....

I really hope that football recruiting doesn't get to be like basketball is.

Pretty extensive rundown in the Oregonian this morning

Duck's rundown

And the Canzano column. John Canzano is not a Duck homer by any stretch of the imagination. He is in Portland and writes opinion about all sports. He likes to write controversial stuff in order to get people talking and he's usually pretty good. Bellotti's drunken ex went after Canzano at a duck game with a profanity laced tirade in the press box at a Duck game one time.

Canzano article

Not sure how all of this shakes out but there's going to be some fallout up here even if the NCAA is ok with it. Given the state of the economy, using public money to buy players looks bad.

Why? How is baskteball recruiting?

Payoffs to street agents to get the top guys. Money is paid to them, often as a middle man, and then some of the money is funneled to AAU or high school coaches. Sometimes, the AAU coach is the street agent and the summer traveling team tours are just excuses to take to the road and visit with coaches. (Football 7on7 camps are starting to develop the same rep.) It's an open secret that this is going on. Some programs are clean, but it's hard to be unless you have an established rep like a Duke or Notre Dame.

Here's a good article on what happened with Tim Floyd at USC regarding the deals made to get OJ Mayo. This is very common in college basketball, USC just got caught: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/06/10/floyd/index.html

Seems far more likely that a certain team is bitter that in-state players are leaving. So it's back to fake bank jobs and other myths and halftruths in order to sabotage a successful program.

and another reason why we should rejoice everyday we are no longer associated witht he Tex-12 conference

Seems far more likely that a certain team is bitter that in-state players are leaving. So it's back to fake bank jobs and other myths and halftruths in order to sabotage a successful program.

and another reason why we should rejoice everyday we are no longer associated witht he Tex-12 conference

I know the bank deal job BS was complete and utter trash, but your argument is not valid in this case. Texas was one of the many major programs that backed off Seastrunk as his recruitment went along. Also, we know that Oregon actually paid Lyles $25,000 in this case. Now whether they can get away with it being for "recruiting services" or not, the whole thing is very shady.

Pretty extensive rundown in the Oregonian this morning
Not sure how all of this shakes out but there's going to be some fallout up here even if the NCAA is ok with it. Given the state of the economy, using public money to buy players looks bad.

You sure that is state money or Nike money?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has a watertight butt, it's likely a duck.

The evidence I've read leads me to believe that Willie acted as a pimp. The mother's statement supports that though she was unaware. The company he used to work for, Complete Scouting Services, is just that, a scouting service. Not a recruiting service, whatever that is. CSS and Willie parted ways sometime in late January, early February. The invoice Oregon got was from Willie himself, not CSS, just after national signing day, the recruit was signed and the check was written to Willie. Texas probably backed off recruiting when money was demanded. My question is why aren't these situations reported to the NCAA? Something smells nasty in Oregon. DeAnthony Thomas' tweet as earlier reported this week is now gone. He said USC was the culprit. There may be more than one situation going on. This will be interesting.

Last edited:
Seems to me schools are just finding new ways to cheat. At least SMU had the honey badger attitude lol. I know everyone bends the rules but some just flat out break them like Auburn, Oregon, USC, etc... Every school cheats here and there, some just take it to a new level and it will always be that way.

I'm not really understanding this "recruiting service / agent" thing. I can't understand why the NCAA will not allow a booster to talk to a recruit but they will allow the school to pay one of these service guys and they can talk to recruits. Shouldn't the NCAA put the kabosh on all of this and all the AAU crap in basketball?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has a watertight butt, it's likely a duck.

The evidence I've read leads me to believe that Willie acted as a pimp. The mother's statement supports that though she was unaware. The company he used to work for, Complete Scouting Services, is just that, a scouting service. Not a recruiting service, whatever that is. CSS and Willie parted ways sometime in late January, early February. The invoice Oregon got was from Willie himself, not CSS, just after national signing day, the recruit was signed and the check was written to Willie. Texas probably backed off recruiting when money was demanded. My question is why aren't these situations reported to the NCAA? Something smells nasty in Oregon. DeAnthony Thomas' tweet as earlier reported this week is now gone. He said USC was the culprit. There may be more than one situation going on. This will be interesting.
Not only that, but the guy runs this "business" out of his home and created his website after this invoice was created in 2/10 - plus, this $25K "package" wasn't even a listed product until last week... I think Oregon is going to get hit.

Edit: The guy's website is a joke. He has a "player photo scetion" in which there are about 7 old NFL photos, the two most recent of which are Dave Duerson (RIP) and Chris Henry (RIP)

Last edited:
any chance this one is OSU? It would make more sense that the NCAA would want to come down hard on them after all the stuff goin on up there.

Back