What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 10 program rumored to be in NCAA crosshairs

Be on the lookout for a Yahoo article with Will Lyles to be coming out shortly.

Not good for the conference if the top two programs are in hot water with the NCAA. But if Oregon getting blasted pushes Evan Baylis back to CU, I won't shed any tears.

Not good for the conference if the top two programs are in hot water with the NCAA. But if Oregon getting blasted pushes Evan Baylis back to CU, I won't shed any tears.

Oregon has been good lately. Like a KSU on steroids. In the scheme of things? Not even a top 5 member of the Pac. **** whoregun. You cannot seriously consider them a Top 2 program in the Pac...

Oregon has been good lately. Like a KSU on steroids. In the scheme of things? Not even a top 5 member of the Pac. **** whoregun. You cannot seriously consider them a Top 2 program in the Pac...

You are undervaluing the impact that an unlimited amount of money has. Phil Knight has donated over $200m to the Athletic Department alone. He has shown no sign of turning off the money spigot. Their facilities are the best in the country, and yes I'm including every school including Alabama, Texas, etc: http://www.oregongridiron.com/facilities.html

The amount that they are like KSU is approximately the same as the amount CSU is like Boise State.

I think he meant that Oregon, like KSjU wasn't worth a damn for a long period of time and recently has come along. But it sounds pretty likely Oregon is going to have a second asshole.

I think he meant that Oregon, like KSjU wasn't worth a damn for a long period of time and recently has come along. But it sounds pretty likely Oregon is going to have a second asshole.

Adjacent to the first, or located somewhere else?

It's possible. This Lyles business is going to be tricky to prove to be a violation. I think it's more likely they make a new NCAA rule because of it than Oregon gets hammered. Fair enough though.

You are undervaluing the impact that an unlimited amount of money has. Phil Knight has donated over $200m to the Athletic Department alone. He has shown no sign of turning off the money spigot. Their facilities are the best in the country, and yes I'm including every school including Alabama, Texas, etc: http://www.oregongridiron.com/facilities.html

The amount that they are like KSU is approximately the same as the amount CSU is like Boise State.

Oregon is ******** with Liles.

Sure Nike supplies an unlimited amount of cash. Oregon's last "big time" win? 1917. No Rose Bowl victories since. No national championships ever. They're new, they're flashy, and they can't close when it matters most. They don't hold a candle to USC, UW, CU, UCLA.

Their academics are on par with knu. What have they done? Finished in the Top 10 without ever winning a "big time" game. This makes them #2 in the Pac? Nope. Nada. Not even close.

Academics? Stanford, UCLA, UW, CU, Cal.... (no whoregon).

Traditional football powers? USC, UW, CU.

Traditional anything? Well if 1,000+ football uni configurations fit the bill then yes, they excel at that. High schoolers love the unis but nobody goes to Oregon for a good reason...

I meant it as a national perception thing. I think that if you did a national survey asking what the top 2 football programs are in the Pac-12, most people would say USC and Oregon. That's why both of them being in trouble at the same time, at this particular time, looks really bad.

I agree with you, though. It will also probably make you happy that I consider UDub the #2 prestige program in the conference based on history and the level I think it will be at on average over a long timeline.

I meant it as a national perception thing. I think that if you did a national survey asking what the top 2 football programs are in the Pac-12, most people would say USC and Oregon. That's why both of them being in trouble at the same time, at this particular time, looks really bad.

I agree with you, though. It will also probably make you happy that I consider UDub the #2 prestige program in the conference based on history and the level I think it will be at on average over a long timeline.

I think we agree in a sense. But I don't think it hurts the Pac at all. Oregon has no history. They're a johnny come lately program.

Second, the only people who think Oregon is awesome in the Pac are teenagers. Yes they are recruits, but Oregon getting the death penalty means nothing to the Pac with a resurgent UW and CU... and if Oregon gets hammered in two years recruits will know nothing of Oregon being a "top" or even "good" program. They only have (and this is not to be taken lightly) the best facilities in the country. Doesn't mean jack on Saturday though.

I do think Oregon is a program that could be here to stay with their booster money, but they still haven't done squat...

Going to be interesting to see what happens to Oregon once Phil Knight is gone.

Oregon won't be getting any death penalties. With all that money flying around, it's not hard to imagine a few rules being bent here and there.

Oregon won't be getting any death penalties. With all that money flying around, it's not hard to imagine a few rules being bent here and there.

OSU has much more history, might and money then Oregon. Look at what's going on there. Don't be so sure.... They've admitted to paying $25,000 to get athletes from Liles (who gave them no more than what Rivals would have put out 3 years ago)...

Oregon's penalties should be at least as much as USC's if not worse. Can they survive that?

The thing with Ohio State is that nobody knows what will happen there. The NCAA took four+ years to investigate USC. The Ohio State investigation is just getting started. They haven't even begun in Oregon. By the time they get started, the kids who are there now will be long graduated. If anything, this will impact players who are now high school Freshmen.

This could end BADLY for Oregon...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...binson_scout_details_deal_oregon_kelly_070111

In a wide-ranging, multi-day interview, Lyles said Kelly “scrambled” in late February and asked Lyles to submit retroactive player profiles to justify the $25,000 payment to his company, just days before the transaction was revealed in a March 3 Yahoo Sports report. Lyles also provided details of his fledgling company – Complete Scouting Services (CSS) – as well as the extent of his relationship with numerous Texas high school stars and his role in Ducks’ recruitment of certain prospects.

:wow:

You've arrived just in time to watch Oregon burn to the ground. There is no king. Throne is up for grabs until USC gets out of its funk and tries to take it back.

Even with damning information the NCAA moves at a glacial pace. Nothing is going to happen to them this year and probably next. On the other hand the NCAA doesn't see them as one of the traditional powers, the untouchables. When this all comes down they could get spanked very hard just so the NCAA can say that they are doing their jobs and not to let the U$C and OSU fans get on them about "picking on them."

That all said, Oregon is not one of the traditional powers but recruits don't give a great deal of attention to tradition, i.e. anything that happened before they were 12 or 13 years old. As far as the kids are concerned Oregon is a school that has won a lot of games, wears cool uniforms, has great facilities, and is on TV a lot. They don't care if it is Phil Knight money or old money, to them the program has money and that is what matters.

The question about what happens in the future is a good one, Phil Knight has managed to do with his millions what T. Boone Pickens has so far failed to do with his millions at Oklahoma State, make them relavent nationally. Even though they haven't won a NC or even a major bowl they have been in position, they have been on national TV a bunch, and they get lots of time on Sportscenter.

Now the question is how long does Phil Knight continue to pour money into the program and what happens when he stops. Have they or will they develop enough other donors and revenue sources to maintain the program at that level after Phil steps back. If the NCAA hits them hard will Phil step back and/or will the other major donors step away from the program. If the program is hit hard in recruiting and ends up getting bombed on the field again will that cancel much of the progress they have made?

My feeling is that they will not drop back to the bottom feeder they once were but will battle to be a middle of the pack (or PAC) team in the long run. I wonder if donors including Phil Knight are already drawing back to separate themselves from the stench surrounding the program right now.

This is the smoking gun.

I guess UO cut off payments and he rolled.

glad we didn't hire Belotti. his tenure may not be a part of this, but a Belotti HC at CU would be in the shadow. i'm really not in the frame of mind for "scandal"---->HC with a .333 winning % and a bit of an embarrassment----->more "scandal"....

This appears worse than both the USC and Ohio State situations. This is partially speculation, but the pay to play appears more direct than at USC and the cover up seems more widespread that at OSU It would seem that several members of the Oregon coaching staff and athletic department would have to have been involved in dummying up the files.

Back