What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 5 Quarterbacks Ever at CU?

Can't take Dex seriously when he has Cody on there and not Detmer. Detmer has to be top 5, probably top 3.

But if just naming names to name names Hessler and Mochetti didn't do half bad.

D'ooh!! Can't believe I left out Koy. Moschetti and Hessler were great Buffs.

Both are bad fits. I don't get the Sefo love. The dude was young last year and things very well might improve with experience, but he didn't win and choked more than once in crucial situations and cost the team the win. A top 5 candidate? At this point, give me a break.

I actually mostly agree with you, but I would take Sefo over Cody, no questions asked. I was merely arguing FLounder's assertion about Cody struggling mostly due to a poor OL.

Both are bad fits. I don't get the Sefo love. The dude was young last year and things very well might improve with experience, but he didn't win and choked more than once in crucial situations and cost the team the win. A top 5 candidate? At this point, give me a break.

Well, I've got Klatt in my Top 5 and he had like 9 TDs vs 15 INTs as a soph QB. Sefo's numbers compare very favorably. He's got to win, though.

I'd put Kordell one if he could beat Nebraska, I guess I'd go with Hagan. Koy is there, Klatt, and a few others mentioned. I didn't ever see some of them.

This is really a list of one....Koy Detmer...

After all:
Boyd Dowler (56-58) Didn't have the stats, though he did take the team to previously unexplored heights
Gale Weidner (59-61) Ditto about stats despite having a good team
Joel Klatt - Solid teams around him, his pocket presence lead to his downfall.
Darian Hagan - A QB in name only, didn't throw enough to be called a QB.
Kordell Stewart - Couldn't throw an out route...not in practice, not in warm ups, not in a game and not in the pros. Either ended up in the dirt ten yards short of the WR or in the stands 10 yards over the WR head.
Anderson - Great football player, one of CU's best ever, not a great QB, thus why he became an RB his senior year.

Bottom line here is that no one is going to mistake CU as having produced even an average grouping of good college quarterbacks and thus CU's top five is a list of one.

The list is of good college QBs, not list of college QBs that moved on to the pros, even though I generally agree with your list. (Love that you recall Dowler, you forgot to mention he was a QB in the last major college "single wing" formation, run by Dal Ward.)

Stewart was the most gifted, but he was never properly coached until Neweasel got here and that for only one year. (Even then, Rick had to overcome "teh stoopid" that was Eliot Uzelac!)

Klatt was excellent QB/pro material, ruined personally by Gary Barnett's pi**poor decision-making---he almost killed Klatt leaving him in the Miami and Texas games.

You left out Kenny Johnson who led the '71 team to #3 ranking. Kenny was the victim of the "revolving door" that was Eddie Crowder's staff .

Johnson didn't have stellar stats - 39.3 completion %, 8 td's to 12 picks, 1475 yards. He did add over 500 yards rushing in a run-first offense.

He did, however, lead the Buffs to victories in Baton Rouge (31-21) and in Columbus (20-14). Not many others can claim an equivalent accomplishment. That team ended #3 in the final polls with the only losses occurring in Norman and stinkon.

Strangely enough, Hagan's roughest year was his senior year, while Kordell had steady (oftentimes frustrating) progression. We remember Kordell for his senior season, and that's the only reason why he's even a close 2nd. Hagan was spectacular right out of the gate as a true sophomore.

Johnson didn't have stellar stats - 39.3 completion %, 8 td's to 12 picks, 1475 yards. He did add over 500 yards rushing in a run-first offense.

He did, however, lead the Buffs to victories in Baton Rouge (31-21) and in Columbus (20-14). Not many others can claim an equivalent accomplishment. That team ended #3 in the final polls with the only losses occurring in Norman and stinkon.

Another case where comparing stats between eras is dangerous. The stats look terrible by todays standards or even compared to passing offenses of the 80s but for his era they weren't bad. Mostly the offense was based on handing the ball off or pitching the ball. Passing was only common on either 3rd and long or when the team was way behind (something that didn't happen much with that team.)

He had a couple of very good receiving options in 71 with Branch and Brunson, in 72 the WRs were Hagerty, Keyworth (later a Bronco's FB,) and Ellwood. Both years he had a great TE in JV Cain. Even with the receiving talent they had though the passing game was very limited. No trees, no route options, and mostly 2 or 3 man routes. Didn't lend itself to big stats but when you are winning big who cares. He did what it took to win.

Bernard Jackson. Case closed.

In all seriousness - I'll go with Hagan, Stewart, Detmer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R.R. Graham. 1894. We were 8-1. Beat Colorado State 67-0. We had a tougher time with Denver East H.S., beating them 46-0. Can't find stats, but Graham must've been pretty damned good.

Hagan &
Stewart
Consensus 1&2

Then
Anderson
Sal
Knapple
Bratton
Hatcher
Klatt
Vogel
Cody

You know what? Cody was a hell of a buff, he gave his all despite all of th nepotism etc. That kid bled Black & Gold.
Steve Vogel vs. WYO could have been the worst QB performance, at any level, I have ever seen. Knapple was an average CFB QB, but his Orange Bowl performance against OSU was putrific.

I was born in '73. When I was really young I was a Broncos and Air Force fan. I didn't start paying attention to the Buffs until '86 and wasn't a diehard until '88. I'm not including anyone who was before my time.

1. Hagan - Showed up in the big games. Magical pitches. Back to back Orange Bowls.

2. Stewart - Most talented and it's not really close. He was arguably as good a runner as Hagan but with an NFL arm. He left his brain in the locker room when we played Nebraska or he'd be #1 and we'd have another national title.

3. Detmer - How could anyone not enjoy watching that skinny kid shred defenses?

4. Aunese - Exactly what you want in a classic wishbone QB.

5. Pesavento - Am I putting him higher than he deserves because of 62-36? Damn straight and I don't care!

Strangely enough, Hagan's roughest year was his senior year, while Kordell had steady (oftentimes frustrating) progression. We remember Kordell for his senior season, and that's the only reason why he's even a close 2nd. Hagan was spectacular right out of the gate as a true sophomore.

I would argue that Kordell's 1992 season was handicapped by the change in offense. It took a couple of years for the 1 RB/2 TE offense to fully mature. I think if we had simply evolved the I-bone offense to include more passing instead of tossing the whole playbook it would have served Kordell and the team well. He probably would have had a monster first year as a starter and we definitely wouldn't have had to endure a 52-7 shellacking against the Corn.

I would argue that Kordell's 1992 season was handicapped by the change in offense. It took a couple of years for the 1 RB/2 TE offense to fully mature. I think if we had simply evolved the I-bone offense to include more passing instead of tossing the whole playbook it would have served Kordell and the team well. He probably would have had a monster first year as a starter and we definitely wouldn't have had to endure a 52-7 shellacking against the Corn.

I mentioned this earlier.

I'll go a little further. Kordell had played his entire life as a pure option QB, add the element of a big strong armed passer but still his brain was wired for the option.

That team also was full of personnel to run the option, our OL were recruited and trained for it, backs and receivers the same.

I think had we stayed with the option we had the talent to beat anyone in the conference including the corn and could very well have had a memory building season.

Mac switched because he saw, way ahead of time, the college game shifting to more pure passing. Defenses were catching up with the option. Trouble was that he was to far ahead. Defenses still hadn't figured out how to stop the great options and we could have had one with our talent.

Instead we changed and the fuskers won a couple of NCs running the option.

Guys, had we stayed with the option, we'd be talking about Tommie Frazier being in the top five quarterbacks at CU.

Guys, had we stayed with the option, we'd be talking about Tommie Frazier being in the top five quarterbacks at CU.

This is true, but I would have liked to see what a big athlete like Kordel could have done with a full career in the system. He was big, fast, strong, and could also throw the ball much better than most option QBs. Could he have been a Vince Young before VY ever happened.

Frazier did want to come to CU, would have if we hadn't changed the offense. We had the talent to win big with him at QB, the corn would not have won without him since he was their difference maker.

He is outside the list and ended up transferring to UNC but the best arm I think I ever saw at CU was Jeff Knapple, led the team to the 1977 Orange Bowl. Was a 3rd string QB for the Broncos for a handful of years and retired. Mallory screwed that deal up, there were so many players Eddie left Mallory with and he was the beginning of the end. Shortly thereafter in strolls Chuck and almost bankrupts the school, but make no mistake about it much like Hawk, Mallory was the beginning of the swan dive.

Looking at the names on this list, I can’t help but to think of how well the Buffs did under Barnett considering he was never able to recruit a true “blue chip” quarterback. He won the Big 12 north all those years with a parade of Juco’s and walk ons, Some awesome Buffs in there though who deserve to be recognized on this list as much as some of the other names on the lower end some of these lists. Moschetti, tough, scrappy, great leader. Pesavento, steady, accurate, won the Big 12. Klatt, tough, fairly consistent and accurate, good leader.

Looking at the names on this list, I can’t help but to think of how well the Buffs did under Barnett considering he was never able to recruit a true “blue chip” quarterback. He won the Big 12 north all those years with a parade of Juco’s and walk ons, Some awesome Buffs in there though who deserve to be recognized on this list as much as some of the other names on the lower end some of these lists. Moschetti, tough, scrappy, great leader. Pesavento, steady, accurate, won the Big 12. Klatt, tough, fairly consistent and accurate, good leader.

GB recruited Craig Ochs who was a 4* and a great college QB.

Unfortunately, you also got his father as part of a package deal and GB couldn't handle that, particualrly after blaming Ochs for the loss to Fresno.

I was pulling for Ochs, I thought he was a tough kid, but I am not sure he was a great college quarterback. Knowing what we know now Pesavento should have started from week one. Easy for me to say right?

I was pulling for Ochs, I thought he was a tough kid, but I am not sure he was a great college quarterback. Knowing what we know now Pesavento should have started from week one. Easy for me to say right?
Yeah, calling Ochs a great college QB is a major stretch.

He did impress in the game in Lincoln, that took some toughness. I'd never say he was great though.

Yeah, calling Ochs a great college QB is a major stretch.

Ochs was a great talent but not close to a great college QB.

As Whizzer said his dad was to much a part of the mix for him to be able to live up to his potential.

GB recruited Craig Ochs who was a 4* and a great college QB.

Unfortunately, you also got his father as part of a package deal and GB couldn't handle that, particualrly after blaming Ochs for the loss to Fresno.
never could stomach GB saying "we made the right call, just did not execute on the field".

Moschetti is undervalued by this board.
Hagan, Stewart, Detmer, Moschetti, Hessler in that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hagan, Stewart, Detmer, Moschetti, Hessler in that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about Moschetti. He's one of the only guys to have 2 seasons with 2k yards passing.

This.

Moschetti had "it," so did Hagen, and for that matter Klatt. I'm not talking necessarily about the ability to go out there and "put a team on your shoulders" and/or "win one all by themselves" (although Hagen came close to that). In order to do that, you have to have "it" plus ridiculous talent.

It's not making your receivers "better" by throwing perfect passes or making the perfect read/pitch; it is making every one of your teammates just a little bit better simply by being on the field with them - even if your own performance is only "above average."

Detmer and Stewart didn't really have "it;" their talent did make their teammates better, but had their talent been average, they could have been replaced by any number of other qbs.

Sefo, so far, doesn't have "it." He's young, and that could change, but I think it's unlikely. He may, and probably will, improve his technical performance measurements. It's likely his name will replace Koy's and Cody's many places in the CU record book - but that will be as much from offensive system changes and being a four year starter as it will be from his ability.

It's not always fair to judge a qb by wins and losses, but it can, and should, play a part. Kordell could have won a natty if he had had "it," and Koy probably could have had a few more wins. On the other hand, I don't think either of those guys would have won any more games than Klatt or Moschetti did with the teams they had - and, despite having lesser talent, I think Moschetti and Klatt would have won just as many as Kordell and Koy, had they played on those 90s teams (with the one exception being Michigan, the only QB on the list strong enough to throw that pass is Kordell).

Back