What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 5 Wide Receivers Ever At C.U.

As much as Ray totally screwed up his life (and others) after turning pro. He could have become one of the greats at his position in the NFL. Amazing he managed to keep his head screwed on half way straight while he was with the Buffs.

Halfway straight? Hell, he was a model freaking citizen in Boulder. Never a hint of what he would eventually turn in to.

Halfway straight? Hell, he was a model freaking citizen in Boulder. Never a hint of what he would eventually turn in to.
:yeahthat:

I used to go to just about every practice back in '94. I was 11 yrs old then. I remember Ray would always come over and say hello. He was a really nice kid. I know it doesn't seem like a huge deal to some, but to me it was awesome. He always signed anything I asked him to. The Ray I knew was a good guy.

Seeing Ray in court really hurt. It's too bad to see a guy like that throw it all away.

Sacky -

My point was, with all the success the Buffs were enjoying back then and any other distractions that came their way it was an accomplishment in itself for him and his teammates to stay out of trouble. As you say, Ray would have been anyones role model back then. But no one saw what was coming once he made it in the pro's. Years ago, When I went to the CU / Kansas game in kansas, he was the 1st one to come over and sign autographs. I think he tore up KU for almost 200 recieving yds that day.

:yeahthat:

I used to go to just about every practice back in '94. I was 11 yrs old then. I remember Ray would always come over and say hello. He was a really nice kid. I know it doesn't seem like a huge deal to some, but to me it was awesome. He always signed anything I asked him to. The Ray I knew was a good guy.

Seeing Ray in court really hurt. It's too bad to see a guy like that throw it all away.

Rae's Wiki page indicates that his prison sentence release date is projected to be Oct 2018. He's been incarcerated for the 1999 murder of the mother of his unborn child.

His child was delivered at 6 months. Chancellor, now aged 10, has cerebral palsy.

What a complete and unnecessary tragedy.

I haven't seen anything to get me to want to visit MT's site. And, how smart is it to come here to push his site, but alienate us? :wtf:

Last edited:
Branch was awesome--he was 42 yrs old and burned his son for a legitimate TD in the alumni game one year. I still think Pritch was the overall best, he could catch, return and run the ball. He was the most complete player of any mentioned IMO.
I was at that game and he didn't only burn his son, none of the CB's could cover him. He had 3 or 4 nice catches where he jooked the cover man out of his shorts. And his hands were still phenomenal despite being out of the game for years. I remember being blown away that a guy 5+ years out of retirement, in his 40s, still had the quickness and skill to burn a bunch of young college players in their prime.:jawdrop:
He was on a whole different level...

1. Cliff Branch-world class speed and good hands, too
2. Michael Westbrook
3. Charles Johnson
4. Mike Pritchard
5. Rae Carruth

I was at that game and he didn't only burn his son, none of the CB's could cover him. He had 3 or 4 nice catches where he jooked the cover man out of his shorts. And his hands were still phenomenal despite being out of the game for years.\
He was on a whole different level...

he wasn't that long out of the game--he played a full season of Arena ball the a season or two before. He was very cool in pregame as well. We joked with his son, Brent, that he got his mom's speed.

yeah, we were bastards. But Brent's mouth was often as fast as his feet and he could more than dish it out.

Westbrook was used more for blocking his last 2 years, he could have had much bigger numbers by far. Branch,charles johnson, pritchard and a list of guys like savoy,carruth etc,,,,

Ok this thread deserves to be revived...it is the off season after all. Has the top five WR list changed in the last 8 years? Personally, I think not. Still Branch, Westbrook, Carruth, Pritchard and CJ for me.

I think the best in the last eight years are P. Rich (Top 10) and Spruce (Top 15).

Had PRich not gotten hurt and then left a year early, I think he could have made this list. He was/is a great WR.

Whoever said Pritchard is #1 hit the nail on the head. He was unbelievable. Horribly under-utilized in the NFL.

Had PRich not gotten hurt and then left a year early, I think he could have made this list. He was/is a great WR.

Whoever said Pritchard is #1 hit the nail on the head. He was unbelievable. Horribly under-utilized in the NFL.

Except he doesn’t say Colorado during Sunday/Monday night football lineup introductions as his alma mater.

Except he doesn’t say Colorado during Sunday/Monday night football lineup introductions as his alma mater.
Meh. Baktiari didn’t for a while, either. Same for Jimmy Smith if I recall correctly. I think that stuff is overblown. The important thing is to recognize that only starters get to have that intro. PRich is a starting WR in the NFL.

Props to Scotty for pulling Hayden P during her prime. Negative props for him being her rebound and jumpoff to the Ukrainian beast.

Is Scotty even in the top 40?

I just read through this whole thread and not one Scotty McKnight mention.

Buncha bull****.

Is Scotty even in the top 40?

Scotty's a special case. One could argue that he would have had better numbers if he'd had a better QB, but the argument could also be made that Scotty's numbers would have suffered with a QB that looked to other targets occasionally.

Scotty's a special case. One could argue that he would have had better numbers if he'd had a better QB, but the argument could also be made that Scotty's numbers would have suffered with a QB that looked to other targets occasionally.
Similar with Spruce.

Spruce and Scotty were great Buffs who had highly productive careers. That doesn't mean they belong even remotely close to the argument of top 5 of "greatest CU WRs of all time"

Spruce and Scotty were great Buffs who had highly productive careers. That doesn't mean they belong even remotely close to the argument of top 5 of "greatest CU WRs of all time"
Sorry if I missed it, but is anybody making that argument?

Back