What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top rusher in 2009?

Who will be CU's leading rusher in 2009?

• Total voters
the question is "who will be the top rusher in 09"?

NOT "who was the best rb LAST YEAR?"

NOT "who has the most demonstrated success from last year?"

scott showed us brief flashes of what he is capable of last year. i think you guys are really underestimating his raw physical talent. he is, imho, the most gifted rb prospect we have had since at least the early 70s. yeah, i said it--- his prospects are better than brown, salaam, eb, all of them...

now, there is a huge difference between POTENTIAL and PERFORMANCE. those of you hung up on speedy (who i think did a great job last year) are focusing on previous performance. i believe that, if he stays healthy this year, scott is going to be a very, very special player for us. there are very few guys with the kind of inside power that he is who still have the speed to take it to the house on every play. he is a rare talent, guys.

potential doesn't always translate to success... i understand this. but, i am going to go ahead and predict that in this case it will.
he is physically amazing, however, I have not seen amazing vision from him... speedy has vision to spare tho, the cuts he makes are just insane!

he is physically amazing, however, I have not seen amazing vision from him... speedy has vision to spare tho, the cuts he makes are just insane!

Part of that was due to Speedy being well suited to run out of the shotgun. He is shifty and can make great cuts.

For Scott to succeed, he needs a full head of steam and needs to be going downhill quickly. The coaches should be showing him tapes of Terrell Davis-one cut and go.

Part of that was due to Speedy being well suited to run out of the shotgun. He is shifty and can make great cuts.

For Scott to succeed, he needs a full head of steam and needs to be going downhill quickly. The coaches should be showing him tapes of Terrell Davis-one cut and go.

TD had holes to cut into. Our line sucked donkey nut last year.

even so, speedy had better vision in the spring game as well. I saw scott run into the line a few times while speedy always seemed to find the hole.

Oh yeah, offensive line was definitely an issue. But we should be much improved there this season. A RB can also help out an OL by getting upfield quickly.

yes, there were a ton of injuries and a bad scheme.

i think we are going to see a lot less of the bull**** sideways motion stuff with not enough blockers at the point of attack. i think we are going to see a lot more of a scheme designed for effectively running the ball.

part of it is that helfrich (who already had a natural tendency to get too cute in his approach) panicked once we had all the injuries. as a result, he tried a bunch of stupid smoke and mirrors. i think there will be growing pains this year with kiesau calling plays but i do think that this staff intends to run a pro-multiple set offense, centered around running the ball. if they do that and the team stays reasonably healthy, scott is going to have a monster year. i really think adrian peterson and d. mcfadden are decent benchmarks for what scott is capable of. he isn't going to be as punishing as chris brown was. and, he probably won't rack up the yards that rashaan did in his heisman year, but i think scott is going to excel in the right offense.

scott showed us brief flashes of what he is capable of last year. i think you guys are really underestimating his raw physical talent. he is, imho, the most gifted rb prospect we have had since at least the early 70s. yeah, i said it--- his prospects are better than brown, salaam, eb, all of them...

now, there is a huge difference between POTENTIAL and PERFORMANCE. those of you hung up on speedy (who i think did a great job last year) are focusing on previous performance. i believe that, if he stays healthy this year, scott is going to be a very, very special player for us. there are very few guys with the kind of inside power that he is who still have the speed to take it to the house on every play. he is a rare talent, guys.

potential doesn't always translate to success... i understand this. but, i am going to go ahead and predict that in this case it will.

There is no better barometer than past performance.

Speedy consistently made something out of nothing last year. He reminds me of a Bienemy/Sproles hybrid. My prediction is based on his merits, not any shortcoming of Scott. Scott must have some talent to have been so highly regarded, and an inability to produce behind last year's line is not indicative of an inability to perform.

That being said, I don't see how Scott can be compared to Salaam and Brown based on what he has shown to date, but maybe you have a more discerning eye than I do.

That being said, I don't see how Scott can be compared to Salaam and Brown based on what he has shown to date, but maybe you have a more discerning eye than I do.

i am comparing on raw potential. both were fantastic backs for CU and if scott does anything close to what they did, we are all going to be very happy. i am just suggesting that scott's physical upside is more impressive than either of those guys. potential means nothing if they don't execute, of course. he could get hurt... he could flail... all is possible.

i like speedy--- i think he is a good back. i just happen to believe that scott has the potential to be something very special.

Stewert ran with a chip on his shoulder last year and had a great year. Now he has an even bigger chip on his shoulder for that illegal tackle that broke his leg. I'll bet he puts up 300 yards on A&M.

There is no better barometer than past performance.

Speedy consistently made something out of nothing last year. He reminds me of a Bienemy/Sproles hybrid. My prediction is based on his merits, not any shortcoming of Scott. Scott must have some talent to have been so highly regarded, and an inability to produce behind last year's line is not indicative of an inability to perform.

Isn't it great to have them both?

I agree completely, but Stewart is just as successful out of the single back or i formations.

After WVU, Stewart even said that he preferred to run out of the I formation, as running out of the shotgun limits his vision to half of the field.

We will be a better running team all around this year.

BINGO!:thumbsup:

I'll jump on the D-Scott bandwagon here....as long as the O-line can hold up this year...otherwise I'll defer to the same scenario as last year, where Speedy has a better shot since he can make 'em miss better behind the line of scrimmage

You're right. And based off of what I saw last year, I'd say that Stewart will be the top rusher in 09. If Scott comes out and puts a couple hundo on the ground every game, I'll be happy as a pig in slop, and won't care that his success runs contrary to my prediction.

I like watching Stewart run the ball. He has great wheels, and terrific vision. If a hole isn't where it's supposed to be, he has the ability to find one somewhere else and squirt through it.

I'll jump on the D-Scott bandwagon here....as long as the O-line can hold up this year...otherwise I'll defer to the same scenario as last year, where Speedy has a better shot since he can make 'em miss better behind the line of scrimmage

That, along with the reports from this spring, is why I went with Scott. If he's in shape (sounds good so far) and the o-line is healthy, I think the offense will suit him and he'll be the workhorse. If we end up with a patchwork o-line and every play turns into a scramble again then Speedy is probably going to be more effective.

But damn it's nice to be able to have this debate about two talented Buffs, not to mention the guys we have in reserve.... :thumbsup:

If Scott can learn to be a good blocker, he's going to have a huge advantage over Speedy. As much as I love RS, at his size, he's not going to be on the field in many 3rd down situations, so DS (and Sumler for that matter) will have a lot more opportunitiers to touch the ball.

My gut says it will be Scott, based on him likely getting more carries than the rest. I really want it to be Lockridge. Don't remember much about him from '07, but just reading about his speed puts him at the top of the list of who I'm most excited to see this fall.

If Scott can learn to be a good blocker, he's going to have a huge advantage over Speedy. As much as I love RS, at his size, he's not going to be on the field in many 3rd down situations, so DS (and Sumler for that matter) will have a lot more opportunitiers to touch the ball.

Cortlen Johnson was a phenomenal pass blocker and not much bigger than Speedy. Third down is like special teams, attitude. Scott has all of the intangibles but hasn't proven anything on the field. Bienemy wasn't supposed to be the starter let alone the star.

Salaam would not have been even mention for the Heisman if he had had to run behind last years line. Period. TD was a great running back BEHIND a great line. With a vastly improved line, which I think we will have, Scott should look great this year. In fact, all of them should look great. Lock is faaaast and very strong and healed up and ready to go. Sumler was really pounding it in there at the end of last year. I think he is a real darkhorse to be a very effective guy for us.

My point exactly.

Isn't it great to have them both?

Both, plus some. A good line and CU will have the best rushing attack in a very long time is what I think.

If the O-line stays healthy and we get decent QB play, Stewart and Scott will be running fools. :thumbsup:

Yes!

My gut says it will be Scott, based on him likely getting more carries than the rest. I really want it to be Lockridge. Don't remember much about him from '07, but just reading about his speed puts him at the top of the list of who I'm most excited to see this fall.

I think if our Oline stays healthy, there will be 'no rest for the wicked' (opposing defense).

Cortlen Johnson was a phenomenal pass blocker and not much bigger than Speedy. Third down is like special teams, attitude. Scott has all of the intangibles but hasn't proven anything on the field. Bienemy wasn't supposed to be the starter let alone the star.

Bieniemy wasn't supposed to be the starter or star??? He was one of Mac's biggest snags. Almost as much of a shocker getting him as the H-Boys. EB was a highly touted HS RB.

Bieniemy wasn't supposed to be the starter or star??? He was one of Mac's biggest snags. Almost as much of a shocker getting him as the H-Boys. EB was a highly touted HS RB.

Remember though, O.C. Oliver and JJ Flannagan were the stars of the backfield when EB signed. I think he surprised everyone by forcing himself into the mix as quickly as he did.

speedy will have the most rushing yards...

ds will have the most all-purpose yards and will score the most points...

sumler will have the most first downs...he will also be opening holes for the other guys ala brandon drumm...

we're gonna pound the rock this year.

:gobuffs:

Scott's play will be the difference this year between a mediocre season and a potentially very good one. If he blows up - which I think he will, we saw great flashes from him last year when he clearly wasn't 100% for a variety of reasons - it will be worth a couple wins on the schedule.

Those couple plays last year where he literally bounced off of/through multiple defenders in the open field and kept going were quite spectacular.

Last edited:
We're in serious trouble if Lockridge, Sumler, Hansen (wtf?) or "other" is the leading rusher this year. It's Scott or Stewart. If it's anybody else, we've had some serious injuries.

Remember though, O.C. Oliver and JJ Flannagan were the stars of the backfield when EB signed. I think he surprised everyone by forcing himself into the mix as quickly as he did.

Well ya because those guys were upperclassmen to EB. In '89 EB was clearly the starter and the only reason JJ really was a star in '89 was because EB breaking his leg. EB was one of the best recruits CU has ever gotten and lots was expected out of him. He didn't dissapoint.

I'm not sure that Stewart will even be the #2 back. I could see him slipping to 3rd or 4th on the RB depth chart. People are really forgeting about Summler and Lockridge. It is sure nice to have this depth at RB though. I am worried about Stewart holding up as a feature back. Scott is really gonna rise in fall camp and he will beat everybody for #1 by the CSU game IMO, he will be a completely different back.

Buff Mania gave me negative rep for this comment.:lol:

Buff Mania gave me negative rep for this comment.:lol:

Yes, but consider that he considers himself a rare, even oxymoronic specimen--the ever-elusive "rational fan". For instance, this quote from the Simmons thread...

I don't consider it unpopular to have tempered, realistic expectations in regards to a JUCO player arriving days before fall camp begins.

Two points in response.

1. Purely rational fans aren't typically attracted to sports fan chat sites. Let's face it, sports aren't all that rational and neither are fans. Sports might offer an escape for otherwise rational people, but they usually check at least some of that purely analytical mentality at the door.

2. People who are truly interested in heightening the dialogue don't "neg rep" people for articulating opinions. They listen to those opinions and respond.

Bufffmania tipped his hand here; he/she's got an agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but consider that he considers himself a rare, even oxymoronic specimen--the ever-elusive "rational fan". For instance, this quote from the Simmons thread...

I don't consider it unpopular to have tempered, realistic expectations in regards to a JUCO player arriving days before fall camp begins. /]

Two points in response.

1. Purely rational fans aren't typically attracted to sports fan chat sites. Let's face it, sports aren't all that rational and neither are fans. Sports might offer an escape for otherwise rational people, but they usually check at least some of that purely analytical mentality at the door.

2. People who are truly interested in heightening the dialogue don't "neg rep" people for articulating opinions. They listen to those opinions and respond.

Bufffmania tipped his hand here; he/she's got an agenda.

I think he is Jay Mariotti in disguise.

Back