What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top rusher in 2009?

Who will be CU's leading rusher in 2009?

• Total voters
Everybody pulls for the little guy, the guy who is not supposed to make it big. In this aspect Speedy gains a lot of fans. What he did with the attention he got was to earn the fans because he ran hard and a was a shining light in an otherwise dim year on offense.

That said some here are acting like he is the second coming of Barry Sanders. Speedy had some big games last year and he is one of those guys who makes you get up on the edge of your seat every time he touches the ball. For all of that how many 50+ yard runs did he have or even 30+ last year, the sense was always there but in reality he didn't make a lot of game changing plays. He played in nine games with a high game of 166 meaning that he gained about 500 yards in eight other games, not exactly domination. His long run was 22 yards, again not exactly overwhelming.

This is not to in any way put down Stewart but to show that he didn't exactly make anyone forget Adrian Peterson. The guy who was supposed to do that was Scott and for all the reasons mentioned here before he didn't. Scott came in way out of shape and way behind on learning the offense. This was compounded by Helfrich constantly changing the offense in response to injuries and for other reasons. By the end of the year we were running more of a gimmick offense than anything else. The normal create a hole and let the back run through it didn't exist. For a guy like Speedy that works since he can hide behind guys and spurt into little gaps. For Scott it doesn't since teams could key on him before he ever got a chance to get moving.

With a more stable and experienced O-line this year I have no question that Scott will get a lot more opportunities to show what he can do. He is finally healthy (ever try to walk on a bad ankle, try cutting and running) and won't be lost in the offense. There is a reason he was considered by most the best RB out of HS two years ago, he has a combination of speed, size, quickness, and vision that is rare. He can run past guys or run though them, he can move a pile or dodge the pile.

Everything is dependant of guys staying healthy of course but I have no question in my mind that Scott is ready for a breakout year. Both will be important to the team.
Imagine busting your tail for 2 1/2 quarters trying to stop a Scott and then having a Speedy come in fresh to blow by you.

I really like Lockridge and Sumler as well but their is a distinct step between their talent level and that of the first two. I would love to see Lockridge get the ball of some quick passes of the play action to Scott, he is another guy with the potential to go all the way on any given play with a little bit of space to work in. Sumler could be our third and long, third and short back, giving tough inside running for first downs as well as being an effective pass blocker in the backfield.

Back