What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top ten stupidest mascots?

Didn't the Stanford tree get suspended for grabbing a flask from a student and drinking from it during a bball game? For that, he gets a pass.

Before I was lucky enough to transfer to CU, I played lacrosse for Whittier College. I can't tell you how intimidating it was for the other team when this sausage-wallet "Johnny Poet" show up at our lacrosse games with his giant pen! Interesting Buff fact, former CU Fullback (and now UFC fighter) Brendan Schaub also played lacrosse for Whittier before transferring to CU, his Sophomore year the Poets were ranked #1 in the country for a few weeks before losing in the NCAA Semi-Finals.

whittier..jpg

Before I was lucky enough to transfer to CU, I played lacrosse for Whittier College. I can't tell you how intimidating it was for the other team when this sausage-wallet "Johnny Poet" show up at our lacrosse games with his giant pen! Interesting Buff fact, former CU Fullback (and now UFC fighter) Brendan Schaub also played lacrosse for Whittier before transferring to CU, his Sophomore year the Poets were ranked #1 in the country for a few weeks before losing in the NCAA Semi-Finals.

View attachment 5207

You are the master of catch phrases.

Delaware Blue Hens

Delaware2.jpg

de_blue_hen_chicken.jpg

Last edited:
One nomination for the University of California Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

Tell me a banana slug reads Plato. Really? Really?
uc-santa-cruz-banana-slug-small.jpg

Sam Houston State Bearkats deserves an honorable mention.

You are a either a bear or a cat. Pick one. Any college that spells cat with a K should loose it's accreditation.

SamHoustonStateBearkats3.GIF

Sammy-at-Kyle-Field-small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the Tulsa mascot, the Tulsa beehive-heads? And is he holding a burrito in his right hand?

Basketball schools need not apply. You can't really have a live mascot at a basketball game. Remember, live mascots >> dorky fuzzy costumed mascots.

What is the Tulsa mascot, the Tulsa beehive-heads? And is he holding a burrito in his right hand?

A Golden Hurricane. Which always reminded me of a golden shower, which is a really, really dumb thing to have as a mascot.

The New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) takes the cake for bizarre mascots:

Colby White Mules
Williams Purple Cows
Amherst Lord Jeffs
Hamilton Continentals
Tufts Jumbos
Bowdoin Polar Bears
Trinity Bantams
Connecticut College Camels

The others are fairly pedestrian: Wesleyan Cardinals, Middlebury Panthers, Bates Bobcats.

Try and figure.

A Golden Hurricane. Which always reminded me of a golden shower, which is a really, really dumb thing to have as a mascot.

Blame Georgia Tech. At the time Tulsa was looking for a nickname, someone suggested "Golden Tornadoes," but Georgia Tech already had it (this was like 1914), so TU went with "Golden Hurricane" as a substitute, as it was gold and was windy, which is what they were looking for.

No clue why they didn't take Golden Tornadoes when GT went to Yellow Jackets, but they've been the Hurricane ever since. Weird, I know.

As a graduated of SMU I am still bothered by the fact they are the mustangs, but a pony leads them onto the field.

10-16-2009.n1a_16perunajump2_Product.GH12N3C4U.1.jpg

Back