1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourney would be big for CU Buffs

Discussion in 'CU Buffs Newsroom' started by RSSBot, Jul 2, 2010.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

College softball coaches representing schools from Harvard to Creighton to Oregon were walking around the Stazio Fields complex on Thursday drooling over talent at the Louisville Slugger Independence Day Softball Tournament.

More...

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

"I want to be clear that we understand the challenge of joining this league. The competitiveness in the Big 12 was no walk in the park either, and we have to enhance the support of our current teams and build them," Bohn said after announcing CU`s decision to leave the Big 12 andjoin the Pac-10. "As resources and investments from our alumni and our enterprise grows, we will certainly look at trying to add baseball, softball, and perhaps women`s lacrosse as a member of the Pac-10."

Spot on, imo.

3. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

women's lacrosse, huh? looks like we weren't too far off in our low cost women's field hockey speculation.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Women's Lacrosse isn't supported by the Pac 10. However, many Pac 10 members are members of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation for some non-revenue sports. That conference would be a very nice fit for CU (and it's linked on the Pac 10 web site, so it's sort of affiliated).

Here are the 7 MPSF Women's Lacrosse members:
    Univ. of California
    Univ. of Denver
    Fresno State
    Univ. of Oregon
    UC Davis
    St. Mary's College
    Stanford Univ.

5. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Women's lacrosse? Hmmmmm. I'm not sure about that. I think it would be advisable to have a sport that is well represented in the state of Colorado. Softball certainly is. Lacrosse isn't. CU could field a competitive softball team using nothing other than Colorado kids. Same with baseball, actually. Lacrosse, and women's lacross in particular, are not big sports at the high school level in Colorado. Tennis, swimming and diving would all provide a stronger talent base.

6. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Sacky you'd be surprised CO has a lot of good lacrosse players and at least when I was there CU had a very strong club team.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Are you talking about women's lacrosse? I know that men's lacrosse has some good in-state talent. Creek & Kent Denver have been very, very strong for a long time. I've never heard of any high school women's lacrosse teams.

8. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

i was referencing men's and just assuming that one begot the other.