What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Track and field: Van Halen aims for top three at nationals

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
Track and field: Van Halen aims for top three at nationals

CU runner won Pac-12 3,000-meter steeplechase on May 11
By Brian Howell Buffzone.com
Posted: 05/19/2013 06:41:49 PM MDT

Colorado s Aric Van Halen was Pac-12 runner-up in the steeplechase, above, in the spring of 2012. He won the race this year and looks to build on his success heading into regionals and nationals. (Photo courtesy of CUBuffs.com)

Who knows how good Aric Van Halen could have been had he actually been serious about track and field early in his career?

The Colorado senior is really good right now, though, and that's what matters to him as he winds down his time as a Buffalo.

"Yeah, it took a while to get rolling and get to where I wanted to get," he said of his career. "I think now I'm finally achieving some of the stuff I was hoping I'd achieve."

On May 11, Van Halen won the Pac-12 title in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. He's aiming for the top spot in the NCAA West Preliminary Championships this week, and hopes to have a shot at the NCAA Championships in June.

"At nationals, I'd like a top-three finish," he said. "I think that's a pretty realistic goal. Anything more would be icing on the cake."

Colorado's Aric Van Halen has been a member of the CU cross country and track and field teams since the fall of 2008. (Photo courtesy of CUBuffs.com)

A member of the CU cross country and track and field teams since the fall of 2008, Van Halen hasn't always been so focused on lofty goals. He said he failed to have a sense of urgency early in his career, believing he had plenty of time to get better.

In fact, he failed to earn a trip to nationals with CU's cross country team in 2011, when he was a junior. After watching his teammates run without him, Van Halen got serious.

"I think it finally hit me I had to just get my act together," he said.

The result?

He was Pac-12 runner-up in the steeplechase in the spring of 2012. He followed that up by placing third in the NCAA prelims and 13th in the NCAA championships.

Last fall, he earned All-American designation in cross country after finishing 36th overall at nationals. He was the second Buff to cross the finish line at nationals -- the only time in his career he was among CU's top two.

This spring, Van Halen has continued to excel.

At the Pac-12 championships, he set a meet record by finishing the steeplechase in 8 minutes, 41.73 seconds. He defeated California's Collin Jarvis, who was the 2012 Pac-12 champ.

"Coming back this year and winning felt really good," Van Halen said. "It was like closing the door on something I needed to do. I felt like I should have won last year."

Van Halen is on the growing list of great steeplechase runners from CU, including Billy Nelson, Jenny Barringer, Emma Coburn and Shalaya Kipp.

Between Barringer, Coburn and Kipp, CU has claimed five consecutive conference titles in the steeplechase. Coburn has three of those wins, including earlier this month.

"I'd like, in a really optimistic world, to do the same at nationals to have her win and have me win as well," Van Halen said.

A national title would really help Van Halen make a name for himself. Although, he's done a pretty good job of that already.

Van Halen comes from a famous family in music. His father, Alex, and uncle, Eddie, started the rock 'n' roll band Van Halen in the early 1970s. Alex is well known for his skill on the drums and Eddie is considered by some to be the best guitarist of all time. Aric's cousin, Wolfgang, joined the band as its bassist in 2006.

Aric, who graduated last week with a degree in film studies, admits his father's band is one of his favorites, but said, "I don't really publicize it. I wouldn't wear a shirt with my own name on it."

Despite the musical roots in the family, Aric has always done his own thing. He tried playing the violin, saxophone and piano as a youth, but said, "Nothing really stuck."

Instead, Aric spent his childhood playing sports. He was a baseball player for years before realizing he had a better future in track and field. At Oakwood (Calif.) High School, he won a state title in cross country and set four school records in track and field.

It took a while but Van Halen is putting his name in the CU record books, too, and he may not be done.

"I think my best race is yet to come," he said. "I'm pretty excited to hopefully get a chance at regionals (prelims) or nationals to drop a good time."

Maybe his career didn't start the way he wanted it to, but he couldn't be happier with how it's wrapping up.

"I'm pretty pleased with everything. I don't think I'd change much," he said. "I think I needed to go through everything I did to get to where I am now. I don't think if it had just been easy going I'd be where I am right now."

Follow Brian on Twitter: @BrianHowell33.

Back