1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tressel's blackmail

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by zbuff, Jan 1, 2011.

1. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

So let me get this straight: players break the rules and get suspended 5 games, that doesn't include the bowl game but that doesn't show favoritism by the NCAA? Then, Tressel blackmails his players into committing to stay another year, and he's praised by the media? Unbe****inglievable.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I wonder how many of them will change their mind. Not like it's a binding agreement.

For the Buffs, I think it's better for our Ohio State matchup next year if these guys are still on the team. OSU is more dangerous, imo, if they've moved on with new guys. Having the whole team waiting for 5 key starters to arrive and lead them into conference play is much better for us.

3. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

And I also saw that many experts believe that the penalty willl be reduced to something less than five games next year.

4. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Isn't it "Un****ingbelievable?"

5. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

Am I the only one who likes this move by Tressel? He's telling his team, "if you think you're going to sneak around your penalty for breaking the rules by going pro early you're wrong. You want to go to the bowl, show me you will be here next year to face the consequences of your bad decisions. If you are going pro which makes the NCAA penalty obsolete, then you will pay for you bad decisions by missing the bowl game."

I know it can be spun to look like blackmail, but to me the message is really that in life there is no free lunch.

6. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Yes, it's clearly the players who benefit from this kind of tough love...ohhhhhh, wait a minute...

7. SJBuff

Primadonna football stars who think they can get away with crap just because they play ball need someone telling them their crap stinks.

8. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Tressel's lesson will scar those players for life.

9. Cali Buff

Cali Buff New Member

The move by Tressel seems a bit shaky to me. You're telling your players they did something so bad that they deserve to be suspended for nearly half the season but it isn't so bad that they should miss this bowl. Then you come out and say make some unenforceable agreement. Seems self serving. If there is no such thing as a free lunch then they should miss this game, IMO.

10. SJBuff

11. Cali Buff

Cali Buff New Member

I think it was done by the school. Probably a precautionary punishment before the NCAA came in to spank them.

12. The Monk

The Monk Club Member Club Member

As you can see the players were really trying to help out their families by selling memorabilia and is why they chose to tell Tressel they were going pro early and forgoing their bowl game.

13. Cali Buff

Cali Buff New Member

I don't know all the details, but why should they be punished at all? Aren't they selling their own personal items? I don't see the problem. Now if they were selling school property obviously completely different.

14. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I don't like Tressel, and I think he/the AD should suspend these guys for the bowl game, but any of these kids would be idiots to turn pro at this juncture.

The real sleaze in this deal is how the NCAA and Ohio St. were in contact while bowl matchups were being set up and before the suspensions were levied - how much of a bowl draw would the Buckeyes be without these guys? Someone did the math...

15. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

It's just a clear NCAA violation. One way to funnel money to athletes would be to give them way more clothing items, equipment, shoes, than they could use, with the "wink/wink" that they could go sell it. Boosters could pay money for items the athletes are given.
    Scholarship athletes can't sell the free tickets they get to games (can give them away), or any items provided by the school. It opens a can of worms, as it did in this case.

16. Cali Buff

Cali Buff New Member

I understand that part I guess but one was a Big 10 champions ring. Another was his jersey. No matter what there would be ways to funnel money to them. If there was a link that a booster/coach was giving an extra benefit its a problem. Otherwise let the kid make a couple bucks of his stuff. I see what you're saying though.