What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Trouble in Texas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_teams_by_wins
Texas is #3 all time in wins for FBS, behind ND and Michigan (they are 37 wins behind Michigan for all time wins). All teams ebb and flow. It happens. To say they aren't elite or are doomed to an extended period in the cellar is not taking into account history and $$.

Of course much of that victory total was a result of being in the SWC. Shouldn't be hard to rack up victories when your only difficult OOC game is OU and the rest of your conference schedule is loaded with Rice, TCU, SMU, Baylor, Houston and Tech. Yea SWC... go Cotton Bowl!
Swc-logo-tshof-1.jpg

In '94 when CU went into Texas, it wasn't "are we going to beat Texas", it was "how much are we going to smash Texas by?" I don't remember the exact stats, but Salaam went for like, 250, and there was no doubt.
I recall it being very hot, Salaam went for over 300 yard. It was still a close game.
35 for 317 and was also the leading receiving with 5 catches for another 45 yards. 34-31 Buffs. And yes, it was hot as ****. I believe Salaam had to get an IV for dehydration in the 3rd quarter or something like that.

Of course much of that victory total was a result of being in the SWC. Shouldn't be hard to rack up victories when your only difficult OOC game is OU and the rest of your conference schedule is loaded with Rice, TCU, SMU, Baylor, Houston and Tech. Yea SWC... go Cotton Bowl!
Swc-logo-tshof-1.jpg
And CU hasn't padded its stats in the distant past playing games against:
  • "Alumni" and yes, it was counted as a win
  • Northern Colorado
  • Colorado Mines
  • Colorado College
  • Denver
  • Western State
  • Regis
  • Chadron State
  • Creighton
  • THE LIEUTENANTS (?)
  • State Prep School
  • Longmont HS
  • Denver Wheel Club
I could go on, but you get the point.

While the rest of the SWC was marginal, they did play Oklahoma, A&M, and Arkansas (up to 1991) every year. Just like CU had to play NU and OU each year, but the entirety of the rest of the Big 8 had horrific traditions in football.

I'm not saying UT had it tougher than anyone else - but it would take quite a bit to convince they had it any easier.

You are correct about the 94 game. Hotter than Hades, IV needed, the whole nine yards.

I should have remembered that before moving here. I can't tell you how many days I thought the street was going to liquefy in the heat and I remembered that game, and thought an IV and ice water would be a great plan.

I think Texas has more slumps than success, but they have been great at scheduling over time. I also cannot understand why half the time when UT should roll over and die vs OU, they stand up and pop them in the mouth. It had better not happen next week for my friend's gameday party. Her hubby used to play for OU. I would rather their event be a success. I have a bad feeling about this.

And CU hasn't padded its stats in the distant past playing games against:
  • "Alumni" and yes, it was counted as a win
  • Northern Colorado
  • Colorado Mines
  • Colorado College
  • Denver
  • Western State
  • Regis
  • Chadron State
  • Creighton
  • THE LIEUTENANTS (?)
  • State Prep School
  • Longmont HS
  • Denver Wheel Club
I could go on, but you get the point.

While the rest of the SWC was marginal, they did play Oklahoma, A&M, and Arkansas (up to 1991) every year. Just like CU had to play NU and OU each year, but the entirety of the rest of the Big 8 had horrific traditions in football.

I'm not saying UT had it tougher than anyone else - but it would take quite a bit to convince they had it any easier.
WTF...?

**** Texas

Money, talent, branding and with no lack of support. I recognize that sometimes those forces can work against a program (Texas size checks come with Texas size egos), but I don't understand why this program isn't in the top five annually.

Duff, what do you see as the barriers to Texas being an Alabama or USC (USC struggled through the 90s as well, and their fans are even bigger assholes than Texas')?

The reason Texas struggles is that there is too much politics involved for the head coach. Not just booster relations, but with high school coaches. It significantly effects job performance. Not just the time and hassles unless you're a guy like Mack Brown who loves that sh!t, but also the way it influences who you have to recruit and give game minutes to.

The Wronghorns are getting used & abused by TCU. Epic meltdown in progress? Who cares, BWAHAHAHA.

Oh yeah, **** Texas, **** Bailer.

The HS coach thing is bull. No different than anywhere. UT issues are not recruiting, and playing even decent football would put them well above Baylor and TCU. Well above.

The HS coach thing is bull. No different than anywhere. UT issues are not recruiting, and playing even decent football would put them well above Baylor and TCU. Well above.

Not buying it. Texas has an issue with talent and coaching right now.

Talent isn't what it should be for sure, but it's not as bad as it looks. Definite mistakes were made in evaluation. But look at the offer lists Vs TCU, LOL.

Good coaching makes UT talent look much better pretty quick.

The rest of the Big 12 is taking out years of frustration on the bonghorns.

Strong will not make it out of this season. They still have to play KSU, Bayor and OU. They are in big trouble.

Talent isn't what it should be for sure, but it's not as bad as it looks. Definite mistakes were made in evaluation. But look at the offer lists Vs TCU, LOL.

Good coaching makes UT talent look much better pretty quick.

Did any UT players get drafted last year?

The rest of the Big 12 is taking out years of frustration on the bonghorns.

Strong will not make it out of this season. They still have to play KSU, Bayor and OU. They are in big trouble.

This,

Nobody is going to feel bad for the Horns, you are correct, they may need to check the power to the scoreboards because some schools wouldn't mind lighting them up.

Good joke on ESPN's conversation board for the UT game (paraphrased for better syntax):

What do UT's special teams and Pope Francis have in common? Both can make 100,000 people stand up and shout "Jesus Christ!"

Then they cut to Mack Brown doing the ABC halftime show. Awkwaaaaaaaaaaard!

Back