What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tubby Smith fired

Always nice when someone makes declarative statements that have nothing do do with reality.

New practice facility.
New scoreboards and court in arena.
Additional improvements to both announced in January.
Men's basketball profitable for the first time in school history the past 2 years -- allowing things like every team flight being chartered and one of the nation's largest recruiting budgets.
Pac-12 media deals kicking in this year - richest in the nation.

Yeah. CU's in no position to hold onto a basketball coach.

No kidding. If there's one thing we can brag about, it's our basketball/volleyball facilities. There probably aren't more than a handful of schools that have as good or better.

KWOVQHSLJQPUQVG.20100324182450.jpg

I can understand why they'd want him, but until Kansas has an opening, all this talk about Tad going anywhere is absurd. Minnesota of all places. Honestly.

:finger2:

:lol: Someone had to say it. I get that it's the off-season and we're getting bored. I also get that Wake Forest's hire of Bzdelik has made us realize strange things can happen. I just don't know if we need to mention every poster on a message board mentioning Tad's name when they're looking for a coach. He's not leaving CU in this current landscape. 3 years from now could things have stalled out a bit, or could Tad change his mind and be itching for a new challenge? Yeah. But for now, until KU is looking for a coach.. I won't be losing sleep.

Anyway, Minnesota (and quite arguably UCLA) is a classic case of what I've been repeatedly saying: Do not fire a successful coach unless you're really ****ing sure you've got a better guy lined up to take the job. Minnesota fires Tubby after he gives them their best season in 16 years, and now they can't even hire an alum who's out of coaching to take the position. This is likely going to result in Minnesota landing a complete "meh" hire and reverting back to NIT or worse territory. Nice work. Meanwhile, UCLA fires a guy with 3 Final Fours only to get a guy who has one Sweet 16 (Southwest Missouri State in 1999) and just 7 total NCAA Tournament appearances in his 18 seasons as a head coach. A guy who just epically ****ed up and lost to Harvard . His style is certainly not a fit for LA. Nice work.

A rare bad article from MHS...

milehighsports.com/2013/03/26/ottewill-buffs-fans-rightfully-worried-about-boyle/

Defies previous and recent examples.

If Miami of Ohio (football) is the "Cradle of Coaches," is Texas Tech becoming the "Grave of Coaches?" Who would've guessed a decade-and-a-half ago Lubbock, wouldn't have not one but two national championship head coaches.

It's somewhat surprising Tubby wanted such a huge challenge in Texas Tech, although I figured he'd take the job as soon as I saw he was being interviewed. Tubby is in his 60s now and isn't exactly short on cash.

You apparantly haven't read Mark Knudson's article on how to make soccer attractive to Americans. Dumbest thing I've ever read.
Wait, Knucklehead can WRITE??? That kneebraskee edumacation has really paid off .........

One year at FIU, going 18-14. It was an excellent turnaround after 3 years of Isaiah Thomas coaching, but I have to wonder if Isaiah had stocked the cupboard in his 3 years (and just couldn't coach it to success).

Anyhow, best of luck to the Gophers. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though.

One year at FIU, going 18-14. It was an excellent turnaround after 3 years of Isaiah Thomas coaching, but I have to wonder if Isaiah had stocked the cupboard in his 3 years (and just couldn't coach it to success).

Anyhow, best of luck to the Gophers. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though.

This.

I wonder if he would've been a serious candidate if his last name were Smith?

Stop wondering. :smile2: He wouldn't have been. I believe that he got the FIU job based on his own merit. He's been a very successful assistant coach and recruiter after his name/associations had opened some doors for him. He had a heck of a good year at FIU. But usually it would take several years of head coaching success at a place like FIU, including tournament appearances, before a guy would be considered for a B1G job.

Stop wondering. :smile2: He wouldn't have been. I believe that he got the FIU job based on his own merit. He's been a very successful assistant coach and recruiter after his name/associations had opened some doors for him. He had a heck of a good year at FIU. But usually it would take several years of head coaching success at a place like FIU, including tournament appearances, before a guy would be considered for a B1G job.
Yeah I would think there would be a stepping stone between FIU and a BCS school at the very least or more Tourney appearances at FIU to warrant serious consideration considering his age even at the lowest level of B1G play.

Fran Fraschilla tweeted earlier today how a coaches lack of track record might actually help him. I had never thought of it that way, but he has a point. In cases, like Enfield&Rick Pitino, it's harder to find faults.

Don't get me wrong, he's not going to keep his job based on last name. It got him in the front door and more, but no one is going to care who he is related to if he can't make out of the first round more than once ever six years.

Back