What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tuesday Grab Bag: Fine, I'll Talk About the Football Program

RSSBot

News Junkie
The agonizing wait for a new defensive coordinator is over, and, in retrospect, the whole process looks to have been well worth it. *Gettin' down with the realities of cleaning up a defense that ranked 111th nationally in total yards allowed per game (461 per... yo!), Coach MacIntyre dipped into his bag of tricks, and pulled out the name of Jim Leavitt. *Yep, that*Jim Leavitt, the one who was long known as one of the better defensive minds in the collegiate game for his efforts at South Florida, as he took the Bulls into a national title hunt in 2007. *For on-the-field production, I doubt CU (as currently constituted) could've done much better than the 58 year old lifer, who comes directly from the San Francisco 49ers where he was coaching the linebackers. Indeed, in accordance with his quality, Leavitt will be paid a cool half-mil per year, making him the highest-paid coordinator in school history.
One of the best defensive minds in the country is now heading the Buffs 'D.'
Of course, Leavitt comes with a hefty amount of baggage. *In 2009, he was accused of grabbing the throat of, and repeatedly slapping, a student athlete, which resulted in his termination from South Florida. *Leavitt has repeatedly denied that version of the encounter, and sued the school for wrongful termination. Nonetheless, there are some who would recoil at the notion that Leavitt ever again coach in the collegiate ranks.

I have no doubt that this played a part in CU's ability to hire a coordinator who would, otherwise, be considered for some very high profile gigs. *Colorado offers an opportunity to rebuild his image, while Leavitt offers a major upgrade over former DC Kent Baer. *As to the 'South Florida Incident,' I also have no doubt that MacIntyre, a man who's first season was dedicated to the CARE slogan, wouldn't have signed Leavitt unless he truly felt that there was no possibility of a repeat scenario developing.

It's not a perfect marriage, but one that fits with the current state of Colorado football. *Of the available targets, CU grabbed the biggest they could find, and one that projects to help the defense out dramatically. Off-the-field issues could be something to watch, but, for the time being, I'm pretty happy with the move.

Welcome aboard, Coach Leavitt!

--

Today in the bag, I'm talking Saturday's basketball implosion against Utah, the noise surrounding the RMS, and the football recruiting class

Click below for the bag...

Read more »
JadxnE8LWm0

The agonizing wait for a new defensive coordinator is over, and, in retrospect, the whole process looks to have been well worth it. *Gettin' down with the realities of cleaning up a defense that ranked 111th nationally in total yards allowed per game (461 per... yo!), Coach MacIntyre dipped into his bag of tricks, and pulled out the name of Jim Leavitt. *Yep, that*Jim Leavitt, the one who was long known as one of the better defensive minds in the collegiate game for his efforts at South Florida, as he took the Bulls into a national title hunt in 2007. *For on-the-field production, I doubt CU (as currently constituted) could've done much better than the 58 year old lifer, who comes directly from the San Francisco 49ers where he was coaching the linebackers. Indeed, in accordance with his quality, Leavitt will be paid a cool half-mil per year, making him the highest-paid coordinator in school history.
One of the best defensive minds in the country is now heading the Buffs 'D.'
Of course, Leavitt comes with a hefty amount of baggage. *In 2009, he was accused of grabbing the throat of, and repeatedly slapping, a student athlete, which resulted in his termination from South Florida. *Leavitt has repeatedly denied that version of the encounter, and sued the school for wrongful termination. Nonetheless, there are some who would recoil at the notion that Leavitt ever again coach in the collegiate ranks.

I have no doubt that this played a part in CU's ability to hire a coordinator who would, otherwise, be considered for some very high profile gigs. *Colorado offers an opportunity to rebuild his image, while Leavitt offers a major upgrade over former DC Kent Baer. *As to the 'South Florida Incident,' I also have no doubt that MacIntyre, a man who's first season was dedicated to the CARE slogan, wouldn't have signed Leavitt unless he truly felt that there was no possibility of a repeat scenario developing.

It's not a perfect marriage, but one that fits with the current state of Colorado football. *Of the available targets, CU grabbed the biggest they could find, and one that projects to help the defense out dramatically. Off-the-field issues could be something to watch, but, for the time being, I'm pretty happy with the move.

Welcome aboard, Coach Leavitt!

--

Today in the bag, I'm talking Saturday's basketball implosion against Utah, the noise surrounding the RMS, and the football recruiting class

Click below for the bag...

Read more »
JadxnE8LWm0

Originally posted by The Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo
Click here to view the article.

Back