What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tuesday: Press Conference

Who is RSing this year that is going to make an impact down the road? MTM - IF his knees hold up? Who else? Honest question.

Who is RSing this year that is going to make an impact down the road? MTM - IF his knees hold up? Who else? Honest question.

There may very well be some players ready to play next season. But the main problem I have with the comment is the fact that he is talking about how young they are and then in the very next sentence, he is setting it up to use that excuse again next year when those "great players" currently redshirting are ready to play. In essence, he is trying to use the "we're young" bullcrap as long as possible.

Kind of makes you wonder why they would be RSing if they are such great players. If they're great, would they not be able to help now? Especially since after week two it began to look like CU was headed for a losing season? Or could it be that they are not better players than who we have now, and if that is the case, how do you know they are going to be all that and a bag of chips? Sounds like another excuse to feed the media and fanbase so DH gets to keep cashing those checks without reference to his team's performance. JMO.

Deji Olatoye impressed everyone this summer and fall at corner
Clark Evans is a big, strong-armed and athletic quarterback
DeVaughn Thornton is maybe the best athlete CU has ever had at tight end
Jack Harris was one of the better offensive line recruits in the west
Zack Grossnickle is a big-legged punter who will be a major upgrade
Derrick Webb may be our fastest linebacker
Toney Clemons is our best wide receiver while redshirting after the transfer
Terdema Ussery and Jarrod Darden give us physicality at wide receiver we haven't had since the Michael Westbrook days

There are some other guys that may develop, but those are the guys I've heard the most about.

Edit: Begs the question of why they're redshirting. One thing that has been true and commendable by Hawkins is that he has redshirted everyone he possibly could in order to build this program for the long-term. Because of this, we're looking at veteran teams in the future with a lot of depth and good class balance.

Last edited:
I do not think that word means what he thinks it means. He should already be getting 60 minutes...

Yeah, I wish I had more Juniors & Seniors on the team. Hmmmmm
What message is that sending?

As far as Hawkins reading letters of support. Whats the ratio of support Vs fired?

Does anyone think that Bohn would have a press conferance where he reads his letters of support if he was feeling the heat? I think not.

Bohn should have more talks with Hawkins and the letters to Bohn should not stop until there is positive change.

Yeah, I wish I had more Juniors & Seniors on the team. Hmmmmm
What message is that sending?

As far as Hawkins reading letters of support. Whats the ratio of support Vs fired?

Does anyone think that Bohn would have a press conferance where he reads his letters of support if he was feeling the heat? I think not.

Bohn should have more talks with Hawkins and the letters to Bohn should not stop until there is positive change.

Can anybody picture Bill McCartney having that press conference?? :huh:

how can anyone expect unattributed emails to carry much persuasive force?

that's just weird. in today's world of info saturation why should we accept unverified sources? like "the other coaches who called him after Toledo telling him to keep doing what he's doing" despite being ass-whipped by a mid-major on national TV"? Who are they?

we're supposed to accept this stuff on faith, or based in Hawk's credibility (which is clearly damaged or he wouldn't be trotting this stuff out in a concerned way at a presser).

Just watched it. Yup, it was weird.

There were times when the old Hawk came out, but he lost me more than a few times. Kinda like, "Dude Hawk, WTF is your point?"

You say he was "open", what press conference did you watch? He just repeated the same bullcrap we have heard for a few months now. He basically said everything is close and that it is only a matter of time before things get turned around. How is that being "open" about the program? Oh yeah, he managed to squeeze in "we're young" about 5-6 times.:rolleyes: It is not a sin to post positive things about Hawkins, but that press conference was pitiful.

Addressed for the first time that there is heat on him and what they're doing about it. Also mentioned that the process has taken longer than he imagined. He also went into what exactly it is that theyre doing right and also that the players are affirming. DH also went into things that need to be fixed specifically (not just little things). This was WAY more open and honest than we've seen. Not pitiful IMO.

EDIT: I defintly thought there were weird points (see: "I was fat and behind in math and basketball". WTF. But, overall, thought it was a step in the right direction as far as openess and not being so ****ty with the fans/media)

But, overall, thought it was a step in the right direction as far as openess and not being so ****ty with the fans/media)

And to me the reading of the supportive e-mails was one of the ****tiest things he's done yet with regard to the fans. To me it's a step beyond "how can you know, you've never coached" or "how can you know, you've never taken a risk". Basically the message I get from it is "**** off, not even other fans agree with you"..... :huh:

One other thing of note: I really hated the part where he basically asked TH to almost endorse him.

Hey Tyler! Haven't I always been up front with you? (Tyler must have nodded his head yes) Hawkins: See! there you go!

What's TH going to do? Nodd his head no?

And to me the reading of the supportive e-mails was one of the ****tiest things he's done yet with regard to the fans. To me it's a step beyond "how can you know, you've never coached" or "how can you know, you've never taken a risk". Basically the message I get from it is "**** off, not even other fans agree with you"..... :huh:

I would agree but he didnt reference other fans. He read emails from a parent of a recruit to put emphasis on the fact that theyre doing the right things and trying to win the right way and project the opposite image of what he took over. Then, he read a letter from a former player to show that in the locker room he does things the right way. If he would've read random emails from the 3 fans that still support him I would agree.

Addressed for the first time that there is heat on him and what they're doing about it. Also mentioned that the process has taken longer than he imagined. He also went into what exactly it is that theyre doing right and also that the players are affirming. DH also went into things that need to be fixed specifically (not just little things). This was WAY more open and honest than we've seen. Not pitiful IMO.

EDIT: I defintly thought there were weird points (see: "I was fat and behind in math and basketball". WTF. But, overall, thought it was a step in the right direction as far as openess and not being so ****ty with the fans/media)

Sorry, reading all these glowing e-mails/letters was pathetic. Let's hear some e-mails with some honest points about how bad this program is? Then the young excuse yet again. That's a lame excuse in year 4 and he continues to make uo excuses and never hold himself or the staff accountable.

One other thing of note: I really hated the part where he basically asked TH to almost endorse him.

Hey Tyler! Haven't I always been up front with you? (Tyler must have nodded his head yes) Hawkins: See! there you go!

What's TH going to do? Nodd his head no?

That and when he asked questions to specific media members using their first names. WTF are they supposed to say when he puts them on the spot like that?

I would agree but he didnt reference other fans. He read emails from a parent of a recruit to put emphasis on the fact that theyre doing the right things and trying to win the right way and project the opposite image of what he took over. Then, he read a letter from a former player to show that in the locker room he does things the right way. If he would've read random emails from the 3 fans that still support him I would agree.

Good point. I shouldn't have said other fans. But still, to me the point of that was basically to say "**** you" to the people who have been sending critical e-mails. "See, these people love me!" "These people think I'm doing great at all the things you canj't see!" Which is basically the same as saying "you just don't know enough to know how awesome I am."

To top it off, nobody has been critical of whether or not he's doing things the right way with recruits. That's the part of the job most people will praise him for. That's just not enough when the results are as bad as they are now. And it's nice that former player thinks he does things the right way in the locker room, but I have to wonder if he's found himself in the same situation as somebody like Tyler Hansen. Or even one of the players who just can't seem to get on the field. All in all, that act comes across as incredibly defensive and quite a bit off-point to me...

Good point. I shouldn't have said other fans. But still, to me the point of that was basically to say "**** you" to the people who have been sending critical e-mails. "See, these people love me!" "These people think I'm doing great at all the things you canj't see!" Which is basically the same as saying "you just don't know enough to know how awesome I am."

To top it off, nobody has been critical of whether or not he's doing things the right way with recruits. That's the part of the job most people will praise him for. That's just not enough when the results are as bad as they are now. And it's nice that former player thinks he does things the right way in the locker room, but I have to wonder if he's found himself in the same situation as somebody like Tyler Hansen. Or even one of the players who just can't seem to get on the field. All in all, that act comes across as incredibly defensive and quite a bit off-point to me...

I hear you, good points. If it were a "who can run the cleanest program" contest, Hawk would be coach of the year. Unfortunately, we want wins in addition and Hawkins isnt producing this. I get it. I just didnt hate the presser like most here.
I DO hate the results the last 3 1/2 years, though. Ugh.

I hear you, good points. If it were a "who can run the cleanest program" contest, Hawk would be coach of the year. Unfortunately, we want wins in addition and Hawkins isnt producing this. I get it. I just didnt hate the presser like most here.
I DO hate the results the last 3 1/2 years, though. Ugh.

Taken by itself, I would have thought the presser was bizzare and more than a bit self-serving, but I probably wouldn't have hated it. It's the way it builds on some of his earlier comments about how the critics just don't understand that really grates on me....

I hate to say this and I am sure I am going to get a lot of heat. But I liked this press conference. I really like Hawkins and I really want this guy to it together and see him win at CU. Hawkins really does represent our University well and I like the message he sends.

Still don't like how he has handled the Hansen situation, and I think he made some big mistakes with that. But it doesn't take away about how I feel about him and how he has represented this University.

I hate to say this and I am sure I am going to get a lot of heat. But I liked this press conference. I really like Hawkins and I really want this guy to it together and see him win at CU. Hawkins really does represent our University well and I like the message he sends.

Still don't like how he has handled the Hansen situation, and I think he made some big mistakes with that. But it doesn't take away about how I feel about him and how he has represented this University.

He's represented cu well off the field and many who don't like him have stated this. But when is he going to start representing CU in a good way ON the field? That stuff is good and all especially the way CU was looked at in recent years but when is he going to start winning and stop talking more about e-mails from recruits parents?

We all want cu to win but I think many feel it won't happen with him as head coach,no matter how nice he is.

He's represented cu well off the field and many who don't like him have stated this. But when is he going to start representing CU in a good way ON the field? That stuff is good and all especially the way CU was looked at in recent years but when is he going to start winning and stop talking more about e-mails from recruits parents?

We all want cu to win but I think many feel it won't happen with him as head coach,no matter how nice he is.

You would say that.

(note: I have no idea what this means, but, seems to be your response to anything I say regarding Hawkins).

:lol:

You would say that.

(note: I have no idea what this means, but, seems to be your response to anything I say regarding Hawkins).

:lol:

You know what it means, hawk could kill a puppy and you'd find a way to believe in his reasoning for doing it. :lol:

I listened to the conference and thought the same thing. I hope we win out and get this ****ing thing turned around.

I must admit, I've got some seriously waning confidence though...

Go Buffs.

You know what they say, "Chilly today. Hot tamale!":lol:

You know what it means, hawk could kill a puppy and you'd find a way to believe in his reasoning for doing it. :lol:

I want Hawkins gone as bad as anyone. I've written 3 letters to Bohn regarding this and saying I wont renew my tix or continue to donate if he's not fired following the N*braska game (which isnt true:lol:). That doesnt mean I want NOTHING more than for him to win out and show that he was right all this time and we're all full of ****. Nothing would be better for the program. Dont need another coaching change. But, no, I'm not at all drinking the Kool-Aid. I think people confuse my friendship with CH and my support of DH. I can seperate the two...I want Hawkins gone. ASAP.

I knew you'd like it. Not because I think you support him unconditionally, but because all the things he talked about are the reasons you've supported him as long as you have. And to a point, I sympathize with that.

But to me it ignores the elephant in the room. If the point of the University having a football team in the first place is to have an extracurricular experience for a bunch of athletes while they complete their academic career, an experience they can share with a bunch of good kids who try hard, then Hawk has done a fantastic job. But if part of the point of having a team is to have a team that wins, he has failed miserably. Knowing this, he took the opportunity today to try to refocus the attention on his job as if the former scenario was the sum total of his job. If that were the case, the job of running the program would not pay close to a million dollars a year...

I want Hawkins gone as bad as anyone. I've written 3 letters to Bohn regarding this and saying I wont renew my tix or continue to donate if he's not fired following the N*braska game (which isnt true:lol:). That doesnt mean I want NOTHING more than for him to win out and show that he was right all this time and we're all full of ****. Nothing would be better for the program. Dont need another coaching change. But, no, I'm not at all drinking the Kool-Aid. I think people confuse my friendship with CH and my support of DH. I can seperate the two...I want Hawkins gone. ASAP.

I'd be estatic if cu won out, I want to win. I don't want cu to lose just so hawk gets fired. Best case scenario would be to make a bowl game and hawk be gone but that would not play out.

2 years ago his press conference might have given hope for a better future with this program but he's used the same tired speech so many times,it rings hollow. When he starts winning as much on the field as he believes he is off of it,then the perception may change for the better.

Knowing this, he took the opportunity today to try to refocus the attention on his job as if the former scenario was the sum total of his job. If that were the case, the job of running the program would not pay close to a million dollars a year...

I didnt get that impression. I thought he repeatedly referenced not being happy with the outcome thus far, needing to fix things (of the little variety :lol:), not thinking it would take this long but knowing that it would change, etc. I dont think he was talking about running a clean program when he mentioned not having patience and thinking it'll change soon. Also, talked alot about what theyre lacking in regard to winning games--leadership, depth, experience, etc. We can argue all we want that those are bull**** excuses that shouldnt be there in year 4, and I would agree, but, I think he defintly did try to address winning/losing not JUST off the field topics.

I'd be estatic if cu won out, I want to win. I don't want cu to lose just so hawk gets fired. Best case scenario would be to make a bowl game and hawk be gone but that would not play out.

2 years ago his press conference might have given hope for a better future with this program but he's used the same tired speech so many times,it rings hollow. When he starts winning as much on the field as he believes he is off of it,then the perception may change for the better.

Totally agree. I have hope just because I think him winning is whats best for the program, but, nothing he says anymore can persuade me to realistically think its going to happen with him at the helm. I also hope that my roomie will pay me back, he's said he will for 2 months now, but, I dont see that **** ever realistically happening. Too much talk, not enough action.

In summation, my roomie is a piece of **** and Dan owes me money. Or something like that. Im tired. :lol:

I didnt get that impression. I thought he repeatedly referenced not being happy with the outcome thus far, needing to fix things (of the little variety :lol:), not thinking it would take this long but knowing that it would change, etc. I dont think he was talking about running a clean program when he mentioned not having patience and thinking it'll change soon. Also, talked alot about what theyre lacking in regard to winning games--leadership, depth, experience, etc. We can argue all we want that those are bull**** excuses that shouldnt be there in year 4, and I would agree, but, I think he defintly did try to address winning/losing not JUST off the field topics.

He did say all those things. I guess to me it's just overshadowed by the stunt with the reading of the e-mails. What he said about the on-field performance is pretty much just the obvious, then some reasons why it is happening. The choice to read those e-mails, to me, says more about what he was really thinking and hoping to accomplish today. It's the choice he made going in that was going out of his way and out of the box to try to make a point. You don't do that as an aside, imo.... :huh:

Back