What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Turner Gill for HC

He give you any insight on the CU v aTm game? If the guy is handing out divine intervention maybe he could throw us a bone. I would think that he would be getting tired of using all his powers to try and make ND win every week.

Well, he didn't want to go into the details of his "system", but he did mention that he finds the whole, all male cheer leader outfit at A&M to be a bit un-Catholic.

Wow. Just wow.

You seriously just threw out the name of a guy who is probably going to be fired from a Sun Belt school after this season?

Just gripping for straws at any coach that could have inroads to recruiting. Former head coach of one of the best programs in Texas High School merits some attention.

Just gripping for straws at any coach that could have inroads to recruiting. Former head coach of one of the best programs in Texas High School merits some attention.

Actually, he does not warrant any attention at all. He has won a grand total of five games in three years at a freakin SUN BELT CONFERENCE school and you're ready to give him the keys to a Big 12 head coaching job.:lol::lol::lol:

Southlake Carroll is a top five team in the state without him. I cannot wait for the next name you pull out of your ass.

i say eric bienemy hands down give him his first head coach job he can get the cally kids if we got him we would win win win....:thumbsup:

After Gene Chizic's failure at Iowa St, it's gonna be tough to bring in a top level asst to CU especially an SEC coach unless they're just desperate to get their feet wet as a head coach. You're not going to get a coach who was used to recruiting talent that played right down the street or within the state to come to a school that doesn't have a recruiting area within 500 miles. I think coaches like Strong, Orgeron, etc would rather stay asst's in recruiting hotbeds instead of coming to CU. Now if the money is right....and I mean it has to be an offer they can't refuse...they may listen. Does CU have that type of dough though?

The more I think about it Gill may be the best at this time. It'd be good PR, it may be a reassuring presence to potential black players (considering the lack of presence on campus), and maybe he still has connections in the recruiting world from his Nebraska heydays. I wouldn't take the Buffalo record as a red flag though....

That being said...what about Todd Dodge from North Texas? The guy is well respected in Texas and maybe he won't be able to compete with UT, OU and the SEC for the top level guys, but he could be instrumental in getting the second tiered guys to CU. Damn the current record. Looking for guys that can get the recruits to come.

So we bash Bohn for hiring a WAC coach with a 90% winning percentage, then call for a MAC coach with a 40% winning percentage?

Toledo, Wyoming, New Mexico St are 3 examples of non-BCS teams that hired BCS coordinators in the past year. I'm pretty sure CU can do it if we find the right coach.

I, for one, hope he would consider CU. He is the type of no nonsense leader we need. I just watched his interview on OTL again, and I think his integrity, class and work ethic are just what the Buff nation needs.

Nothing personal against Gill. I'd rather have someone who's at least been a coordinator in the Big XII or SEC (or NFL). Don't want to see us make the same mistakes we made with Hawkins.

I will thow out my opinion regarding Turner Gill and the prospect of him coaching at CU.

Turner will make a great top level football Coach. He will however look at the culture at CU and the Boulder area and do what's best for his family. I am concerned that he might find conflicts personnaly, and decide to take a job at another school. That's just my opinion anyway.

Good Luck with Texas A&M this week.

Actually, he does not warrant any attention at all. He has won a grand total of five games in three years at a freakin SUN BELT CONFERENCE school and you're ready to give him the keys to a Big 12 head coaching job.:lol::lol::lol:

Southlake Carroll is a top five team in the state without him. I cannot wait for the next name you pull out of your ass.

Somebody's obviously willing to give the keys to another coach with a losing record at his non bcs school, hence the topic of this conversation. Dodge isn't a top coach, but considering the difficulty it will be to attract a talented coach from a BCS school or one of the top guys at a non bcs school, you better be open to all possibilities. He was only mentioned as someone with ties to a state CU can barely recruit in that can probably be brought in for something CU can afford. What. Gary Patterson's coming? No. Bronco Mendenhall? No. Charlie Strong? No. Brian Kelly? No. You want an O or D coordinator from a top school? Why would they move? GA Tech guys? No. We can talk Embree or Bienemy but what if they don't want to come back? So unless CU is willing to break the bank for someone out there, they are going to have to take a risk. And they better have strong connections to either Texas or California.

Somebody's obviously willing to give the keys to another coach with a losing record at his non bcs school, hence the topic of this conversation. Dodge isn't a top coach, but considering the difficulty it will be to attract a talented coach from a BCS school or one of the top guys at a non bcs school, you better be open to all possibilities. He was only mentioned as someone with ties to a state CU can barely recruit in that can probably be brought in for something CU can afford. What. Gary Patterson's coming? No. Bronco Mendenhall? No. Charlie Strong? No. Brian Kelly? No. You want an O or D coordinator from a top school? Why would they move? GA Tech guys? No. We can talk Embree or Bienemy but what if they don't want to come back? So unless CU is willing to break the bank for someone out there, they are going to have to take a risk. And they better have strong connections to either Texas or California.

Keep digging. Why would an O or D coordinator make a move? Because it is their shot. New Mexico State and Wyoming got guys to leave coordinator jobs at BCS schools. You're telling me it is completely out of the realm of possibility CU cannot attract candidates like that? Please.

Just admit your Todd Dodge idea was dumb and we can move on.

Turner Gill is from the Big 8 and understands the Big 12. He's from the DFW area in Texas and probably can bring in a ton of Texas talent.

He's my first pick for new HC. Sonny Dykes, Arizona's OC, would be my second choice.

I don't see why there's any reason to believe we couldn't get any OC/DC in the country. The OC at Florida of all schools left to become the head coach at Mississippi State! Unless it's a coach in waiting (Will Muschamp) or maybe doesn't want to take on the dynamics of Boulder (Charlie Strong?) I don't think any coordinator in the country is off limits.

Keep digging. Why would an O or D coordinator make a move? Because it is their shot. New Mexico State and Wyoming got guys to leave coordinator jobs at BCS schools. You're telling me it is completely out of the realm of possibility CU cannot attract candidates like that? Please.

Just admit your Todd Dodge idea was dumb and we can move on.

Dude I moved on when i hit "send" on that particular post. It was just a point of convo. But CU needs a coach that has good connections to high schools in one of the big states. It wasn't some attempt to come up with the ultimate dark horse...just someone who can get the school back into Texas. But everyone is clamoring for a big BCS coordinator or a top head coach from one of the non BCS schools and I don't think it's going to be that easy at all. Is there money for that?

If I'm going to New Mexico State, Toledo or Wyoming, or most non BCS schools I'm going to build my resume. The stay isn't permanent. I have one foot in the coaches office and one foot out the door. I know that and the school knows that. If I'm going BCS Big Conference (that's everything that isn't the Big East) I'm going for a permanent job. But If my goal is to work at a solid program, why would I go to dumpster fire that can't give my assistants long term contracts, I got to work 10X as hard to convince hs kids to take the school seriously, has few black students, snows half the time, and the last two coaches have gone down in epic flames? Cuz it's a shot to be a head coach? Hell no. If you're big time and everyone knows you're big time, you'll wait that out.

Dude I moved on when i hit "send" on that particular post. It was just a point of convo. But CU needs a coach that has good connections to high schools in one of the big states. It wasn't some attempt to come up with the ultimate dark horse...just someone who can get the school back into Texas. But everyone is clamoring for a big BCS coordinator or a top head coach from one of the non BCS schools and I don't think it's going to be that easy at all. Is there money for that?

If I'm going to New Mexico State, Toledo or Wyoming, or most non BCS schools I'm going to build my resume. The stay isn't permanent. I have one foot in the coaches office and one foot out the door. I know that and the school knows that. If I'm going BCS Big Conference (that's everything that isn't the Big East) I'm going for a permanent job. But If my goal is to work at a solid program, why would I go to dumpster fire that can't give my assistants long term contracts, I got to work 10X as hard to convince hs kids to take the school seriously, has few black students, snows half the time, and the last two coaches have gone down in epic flames? Cuz it's a shot to be a head coach? Hell no. If you're big time and everyone knows you're big time, you'll wait that out.

I am not sold on any one track. Just get the right guy. Preferably we bring in candidates that fill different categories.

Recruiting will be a big part of the hire, I do not disagree and I also think Texas absolutely needs to have a large focus for the next staff. I think you undersell the CU job. Is it an elite job? No. Is it as bad as you make it sound, especially for a hungry coordinator? No.

I don't think you give CU enough credit. I think in the coaching circles it's a pretty good job. Yes, the assistant coaches thing is an issue as well as the stricter admissions standards, but at the end of the day CU is big time. It's the 2nd most recognizable team in the north. I'd say we rank ahead of OSU, Baylor and Tech in the south. It's not a great job, but it's better than most. We're close enough to recruit: California, Texas, Arizona and the midwest. CU has won a national championship, not many teams can say that. Coaches could easily look at it as an opportunity to really make their mark.

I don't see why there's any reason to believe we couldn't get any OC/DC in the country. The OC at Florida of all schools left to become the head coach at Mississippi State! Unless it's a coach in waiting (Will Muschamp) or maybe doesn't want to take on the dynamics of Boulder (Charlie Strong?) I don't think any coordinator in the country is off limits.

:nod:

Interesting way of looking at it. But, is Mississippi State considered a great BCS job? Or Iowa State? Or Duke?

All 3 have hired BCS coordinators recently.

I am not sold on any one track. Just get the right guy. Preferably we bring in candidates that fill different categories.

Recruiting will be a big part of the hire, I do not disagree and I also think Texas absolutely needs to have a large focus for the next staff. I think you undersell the CU job. Is it an elite job? No. Is it as bad as you make it sound, especially for a hungry coordinator? No.

This. I don't understand the need for people to automatically disqualify head coaches from nonBCS conferences. To me that limits the pool. Cincy hired Kelly from one of the Michigan MACs. Hiring a coordinator from a BCS school whose never had to do any delegation or administration head coaches do could be just as big of a problem as a coach who's never coordinated in a BCS conference.

The Buffs need a good coach. I don't care if he's been a head coach at a small school or a coordinator at the BCS level. Just get a good coach.

Is anybody else nervous about Neinas getting a second shot a match-making for us? I also don't know if I trust Bohn in making the right call, given the sketchy trail of hires he's left from Idaho to SDSU to Boulder. If Hawk has set us back as much as people say, Bohn could very well double it.

Is anybody else nervous about Neinas getting a second shot a match-making for us? I also don't know if I trust Bohn in making the right call, given the sketchy trail of hires he's left from Idaho to SDSU to Boulder. If Hawk has set us back as much as people say, Bohn could very well double it.

Maybe a little. I'm more nervous given Bohn's history, though. Neinas has a positive history of placing top coaches in positions where they will succeed. I'd put more faith in Neinas finding the right guy than I would Bohn.

Gill is 100% class! He is very squared away and I think any college would be damn lucky to have him as a HC.

Maybe a little. I'm more nervous given Bohn's history, though. Neinas has a positive history of placing top coaches in positions where they will succeed. I'd put more faith in Neinas finding the right guy than I would Bohn.

One of the reasons I made the Neinas comment was due to an OTL piece on ESPN that featured services like Neinas', and I don't remember specifics, but it don't recall it as very complimentary towards him.

I know Neinas hooked up Stoops and OU- what are some of the others?

Here's that Neinas Outside-The-Lines item...

[video=youtube;GTbllYGylxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbllYGylxY[/video]

Forget about flash and substance (OC's, DC's etc). This program is in dire need of integrity and commitment. That's what Gill offers...

Gill for head coach!

Forget about flash and substance (OC's, DC's etc). This program is in dire need of integrity and commitment. That's what Gill offers...

Gill for head coach!

Really? Hawkins has integrity and commitment. What we need is a coach from a proven conference that knows how to recruit against other major programs, teach, and motivate his team.

I don't think anyone has even questioned Hawkins integrity or commitment.

Dude I moved on when i hit "send" on that particular post. It was just a point of convo. But CU needs a coach that has good connections to high schools in one of the big states.

What about Dodge as a possible OC if he gets canned at UNT. That might be a little more feasible than making him head coach, and get us the same recruiting advantages... Can't say I know enough about him to know whether that's a good idea or not, though...

These. Add in Turner Gill as a potential option. But I think Mendenhall would be a great pickup for the Buffs.

Add Kyle Whittingham to Mendenall. I'd guess he might be more likely to make a move (BYU can get a cult-like attachment on people...) and he's also an excellent coach...

What are you going to wait out for? There are limited "elite" programs. Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Notre Dame, USC, Florida, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Miami, Florida State, Tennessee, and LSU probably are the elite of elite programs and most ideal places to coach at in college football.

Then there are several second tier programs, these programs have very strong resources to challenge the upper tiers and every once in a while beat them out for top bowl games, but never really overtake the elite programs: Oregon, California, Washington, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Georgia, Auburn, Wisconsin, Iowa are some of those types of programs.

I tend to think CU is closer to this second tier level than you think.

You are nuts if you think some coordinator is going to turn down CU with the hope that one day he'll be hired at the dozen or so "elite" schools. Once those schools find their coach, he'll be there for a verryy long time.

Back