1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turner Gill hires coordinators

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Sportsfan101, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

Offensive coordinator is Chuck Long. Defensive coordinator is Carl Torbush. Both have been head coaches at the D-1 level. Our offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator have no head coaching experience.

Advantage: Kansas.

I got the Hawk Love!

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I'm not sure either of those guys are all they are cracked up to be. Torbush is somewhat of a retread. Aggies were ready to run him out of town as DC at aTm. Some Sooners were glad Long got the job at SDSU, and we saw what happened there. Still, I'd switch staffs with KU....

3. Sportsfan101

Torbush has been a head coach for a BCS conference school. Torbush has been a DC at Alabama, Missisippi State and A&M, and a head coach for North Carolina and LA Tech. While at UNC, he lead the Tar Heels to an 11-1 season. Hey, I know not everyone loves the guy, but he's got a track record at multiple BCS-level schools and that's more than you can say for any CU assistant.

Similarly, Chuck Long has been a finalist for the Broyles Award given to the top assistant coach in the country, he's been an OC at a BCS-level program, and he's been the head coach for a legit D-1 team. Again, he's got better experience than any current CU assistant.

These guys aren't Urban Meyer, but they're good ball coaches that understand football. They are much better coaches than anyone CU has (with the possible exception of Brian Cabral).

4. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

I would trade coaching staffs with KU in a heartbeat...

5. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I can't argue with a thing you said.:sad1:

6. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

How much is KU paying them?

7. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

How much is KU paying Gill?

8. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

I would trade these guys for Dave Logan.

9. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I wasn't overly impressed with Gills choices. They have had their problems at other schools.

10. Sportsfan101

Gill is making $2 million/year. Mangino was making $2.3 million and was the 4th highest paid coach in the Big 12. I'm not sure how much his OC and DC are making.

It's interesting, but KU appears very committed to becoming a football power. Paying full freight for a head coach (more than almost 2/3 of the B12 are paying their coaches), new facilities, building solid ties to Texas HS football. If I didn't know better, I'd think that KU sees there is a power vaccum at the top of the B12 North and believes that, if it spends a little $$$ there now, it will be a wise investment over the next 25 years.

11. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Really? What problems?