What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

tv negotiations: please, please, please be true!

we will also get a payout from BCS games, the Pac 12 championship, and the mens/womens basketball tourney, so I would think we should clear $20 million a year just by being in the conference.

:slayer:

I agree entirely with the title of this thread.

Oh wait, I mean: we still should have tried to go to the MWC.

This will make it extremely difficult on our faculty, It's easy to bitch and moan about a cow in the yard, not so much when it's a big fat CASH cow

actually, just to advocate for the faculty devils a bit, the transformation of the university into an institution with primarily financial goals and motives is a fairly common and in many ways justified faculty complaint. and, based on CU's past, those moneys without conscious redirection by the Prez and AD will not likely have much impact on things like faculty salaries to make CU "competitive" with peer institutions (or CU's list of "want to be" peer institutions: Wisconsin, Mich, etc.). also, you have J-School faculty losing their jobs while money pours into the AD....i could see that being a bit of sensitive issue (though the SJMC thing wasn't about money, mostly).

given that the university is an educational institution (at least for now) and not merely a hybrid of PR and entertainment dollars (the argument for big money sports), i think it becomes difficult to argue that sports as revenue either 1. contributes to the overall fiscal health of CU while 2. at the same time, has a kind of financial autonomy from the actual day-to-day educational mission of the university. the argument is often made that both are true at the same time.

as a side note, now in the Pac....i wonder if CU's unofficial list of "peer" institutions and schools to emulate will shift back from the upper midwest public factories back to Cal and UCLA, like it was in mid 80's. for instance, until it became a bit of a potentially overly political comparison and PR pejorative (about the time of the first Gulf War), CU very much considered itself a smaller, kinder version of Berkeley (as an institution of higher learning, not as a political position). after the 1991 war, in the Judy Albino era, CU began to very consciously make the shift to making public statements away from Cal comparisons to better of the Big Ten type schools for clearly political reasons.

Last edited:
Knock this **** off. The faculty as a whole has nothing against the athletic department, so stop this ridiculous ****.

agree, and as i've posted ad nauseum....the vast majority are entirely ambivalent to sports. there isn't an all-powerful cabal of profs out there militating endlessly against sports at CU. the most "organized" i've seen the BFA and faculty at large in the last 10 years was to oppose Benson as Prez. and they couldn't accomplish that with some very valid objections re: academic qualifications. not a slam against BB, just based in past hiring practices at CU and other universities, that was a legit question.

Last edited:
I would like to see CU be able to pay our faculty more competitive wages and have CU be seen as more of a destination instead of perhaps a nice place to start your career until a better paying gig comes along....don't have inside knowledge or first hand exeperiences with the difficulties the university is facing but I blame a lot of it on the state continuing to cut funding to its flagship university and mis management of the resources we do get-- the 780k for the logo and branding comes to mind.

My hope is that when the Colorado economy finally bounces back in how ever many years, that the state will up its funding. The only other comment I have on the matter is that the J-school faculty is not helping their case with the articles we have been reading in the BDC about the accredation board. Internal strife and not enough full time faculty teaching regular classes does not look good when you are asking for a raise.

I love to say I told you so

I'm going out on a limb that the Big 12 deal (driven by Dan Beebe) will be relatively underwhelming and the Pac 12 deal, with our master negotiator Larry Scott, is going to shock college athletics.

I would like to see CU be able to pay our faculty more competitive wages and have CU be seen as more of a destination instead of perhaps a nice place to start your career until a better paying gig comes along....don't have inside knowledge or first hand exeperiences with the difficulties the university is facing but I blame a lot of it on the state continuing to cut funding to its flagship university and mis management of the resources we do get-- the 780k for the logo and branding comes to mind.

My hope is that when the Colorado economy finally bounces back in how ever many years, that the state will up its funding. The only other comment I have on the matter is that the J-school faculty is not helping their case with the articles we have been reading in the BDC about the accredation board. Internal strife and not enough full time faculty teaching regular classes does not look good when you are asking for a raise.

state support certainly is an issue....and i think one could argue that some "supply-side" investment in the success of sports teams could bend public support for CU around the state in CU's favor along with, down the road, subsequent $$$ state support. i think there's some truth there.

as for the SJMC, i've mentioned i was on a committee a few years ago re: the SJMC and faculty factions, internal strife, redundant curriculum and far more than usual courses taught by adjuncts, PhD students and one-year hires while tenured faculty were teaching one grad class a year (a year, not semester) were all issues in the report we made. i guess nothing changed. lack of leadership from the Dean's office (Dean of the SJMC as a college) was also another. i'm not sure the decision being made is the best. seems a bit loaded by an over-optimistic view that people "educate" themselves through social media that remains to be seen and is still very much in a faddish state. the reason investigative journalism as a vocation is in radical decline is not because it's an irrelevant practice for things like an open society or western-style democracy but because it's expensive as labor costs for parent companies and the first thing that gets slashed out of budgets when profitability drives "news practices". lot cheaper to print the AP stuff and punditry than pay for long-term journalistic investigation. but the SJMC wet it's own bed by continuing on the same path over the last 3-5 years.

sorry to go all OT.

Last edited:
What an awesome article, man I hope that's true. Come on Larry Scott!!! Register at Allbuffs and you'll get about 220 mil + reps

If they haven't already paid off the departure $$$ to the Big Tex league, & Great Scott pulls this deal off, I wonder what the 1st item on the AD's wish list will be that they spend some of the $$$ on?

If they haven't already paid off the departure $$$ to the Big Tex league, & Great Scott pulls this deal off, I wonder what the 1st item on the AD's wish list will be that they spend some of the $$$ on?

as we've discussed, soccer.

no.

he meant inaddimant, you dumbass.

clearly you need a lesson in allbuffs speak.

if you don't have anything of value to contribute, please shut the **** up...

If we only let people post who have something of value to contribute, there would be like five posts total on ab

I was thinking something along the lines of inaddiment objects. Like, maybe a couple new scoreboards?

Maybe Huge meant objects of adamantium?

Snickety Snickt!

images

Back