What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two pull away in Buffs’ QB battle

I have zero coaching experience, but I do not understand why it is so difficult to establish a big time rushing attack. We are absolutely LOADED at RB and at OL -- and we still barely even attempt to run the ball.
I agree that you have to establish the run. But I think this idea of us switching to a power running game would be a mistake. I think we'll see the same offense ran in 07. More of the QB under the center.

I agree that you have to establish the run. But I think this idea of us switching to a power running game would be a mistake. I think we'll see the same offense ran in 07. More of the QB under the center.

And I would not really have a problem with that. The shotgun crap just was not successful.

Why was that?

A multitude of reasons, but play design was most definitely a factor. When you're playing with a makeshift offensive line, why would you design plays that develop extremely slowly?

Does it help a young/inexperienced line if they have to hold blocks longer? Does it help a young/inexperienced line if you constantly fake handoffs to a RB (slowing flow of the play) when the other team knows you're not a threat to run because it is in the 4th quarter and you're down a couple TDs?

A multitude of reasons, but play design was most definitely a factor. When you're playing with a makeshift offensive line, why would you design plays that develop extremely slowly?

Does it help a young/inexperienced line if they have to hold blocks longer? Does it help a young/inexperienced line if you constantly fake handoffs to a RB (slowing flow of the play) when the other team knows you're not a threat to run because it is in the 4th quarter and you're down a couple TDs?
Would you have scrapped the offense completely last season?

I personally think us switching to a power running game would be ideal.

CU does not have ANY game breakers in the passing game. Neither the QB nor the wide receivers/tight ends are going to break the game open. We MIGHT have one play a game go for 25+ yards from one of the receivers.

A power running game would set up play action passes much better.

Would you have scrapped the offense completely last season?

Not necessarily. I just was not that impressed with in-season adjustments. The offensive line struggled mostly due to inexperience and youth issues, but the coaching staff did not exactly help them along IMO.

I don't give a crap what offense they run as long as it works. We have not been good on offense consistently in a good long while. Something has to give.

CU does not have ANY game breakers in the passing game. Neither the QB nor the wide receivers/tight ends are going to break the game open. We MIGHT have one play a game go for 25+ yards from one of the receivers.

I'll just stay calm and say "I TOTALLY ****ING DISAGREE!!!!!!!!" I just think, you, pretty much, do not want to say anything positive about the Buffs.

CU does have a passing game. But it's pretty hard to establish when you have no running game. Josh Smith got doubled all season long because we had nobody else to step up. I think Simas will be a solid receiver for us. I think that will open up many chances for Josh Smith. He's a solid receiver but you can't do much when you get double teamed all season long.

And back to Cody's arm. He might not be able to sling the ball over 40 yards. But he can throw the ball.

Not necessarily. I just was not that impressed with in-season adjustments. The offensive line struggled mostly due to inexperience and youth issues, but the coaching staff did not exactly help them along IMO.

I don't give a crap what offense they run as long as it works. We have not been good on offense consistently in a good long while. Something has to give.
I can't argue with that.

CU does have a passing game. But it's pretty hard to establish when you have no running game. Josh Smith got doubled all season long because we had nobody else to step up. I think Simas will be a solid receiver for us. I think that will open up many chances for Josh Smith. He's a solid receiver but you can't do much when you get double teamed all season long.

And back to Cody's arm. He might not be able to sling the ball over 40 yards. But he can throw the ball.

CU was 11th in the Big 12 in passing offense in 2009. If they had a passing game in 2009 it was pretty ****ing bad.

I favor a big dose of power running simply because of the fact that we have the players to make it work. Hawk and staff have had their best success on offense recruiting big, powerful linemen and quality running backs, not a negative comment on our recievers or QBs but compliment to the guys we have at RB and OL. The other factor is that the league has become very pass oriented, teams recruit players to stop the pass, scheme to stop the pass, and practice to stop the pass. Most are not well prepared relatively to stop a running attack coming straight at them, it is not their character and not their comfort zone.

Once we get them worried about the run then we can have success with the pass. We are not at a point where we are going to beat people at their strengths on talent, we have to make them adjust, the running game can do that for us.

CU was 11th in the Big 12 in passing offense in 2009. If they had a passing game in 2009 it was pretty ****ing bad.
I know. I never tried to say our passing game was awesome. But I do think we are going to see a better product with Simas and Simmons on the field. If anything they will get some heat off of Josh Smith.

I know. I never tried to say our passing game was awesome. But I do think we are going to see a better product with Simas and Simmons on the field. If anything they will get some heat off of Josh Smith.

That's the honest truth that most people continue to seemingly ignore when discussing our offense last year....it still seems that all the mud is being thrown at the QB when there were a LOT of players & positions that looked much worse....WR being a definite stand out to me last year

We still don't have the depth we want, but the infusion of 2 guys that are probably better than our supposed best WR is a huge boost at the position

Back