What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two things driving me crazy

14ers4me

Actually a lot more than two, but I'll stick to these.

1-Our running game is almost exclusively running up the middle. It doesn't matter who is in the game-the ball goes between the tackles time after time. Watching yesterday I could not believe they continued that strategy. Our backs were clearly faster than Wyo and we didn't use them as effectively as they could have IMO. I was practically begging them to run a sweep or a toss play-something to get Speedy or Lockridge outside the tackles. Finally in the 2nd half I saw them do it 3 times and each play gained good yardage. Cody is no threat to run and teams stack the box because that's where we run. Show some creativity coaches!

2-No big revelation here, but Cody is not a D1 QB. He is seriously hurting our offense with his lack of arm strength and lack of running ability. He's a great kid and is fearless-no doubt about that, but he can't throw the ball. He has serious happy feet and it kills me watching him roll to his right. He runs parallel for while, but as soon as a defender gets any where near him he runs backwards a couple of steps. This causes him to throw forward while moving backwards and with no arm strength to begin with he has no chance. The ball goes sailing out of bounds most of the time. He has to learn to set his feet before he throws or he has no chance. It seems like he takes off out of the pocket on his own. There are no mini roll outs where the line moves with him. He's out there on an island and it's like watching a train wreck. I saw him take off yesterday against a 3 man rush when no one was within six yards of him. He ended up throwing a Sh**** pass and it killed a drive. I'm not ripping him, he's just not getting it done.

I really do feel like we have some talent on offense-especially ifTalkins would use them-but without someone to get them the ball it doesn't matter. Not being a D1 coach or ever having been one I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about, but it's time to thank Cody for his services and move forward. Forget about redshirting Hansen and play him immediately. He may not be the answer, either, but I doubt he throws any worse. We all know he can run so that alone puts him ahead of the game. As a CO native, alum and lifelong Buff fan I am extremely frustrated by where this program has been and where I dread it's going to remain until we get a QB who's worth a ****. A good to great QB can make all the difference. It's time we found out if we have one or not.

Thanks for the vent!

We've had success running wide in every game so far, but we don't do it often enough to loosen up the bunching in the middle.

A few more toss sweeps would be nice. That play seems to be effective for us. I'm not sure if it'll be as effective against teams with great speed at LB, though.

we are a bunch of slow whiteboys that will get their asses handed to them in most of our conference games. Wyoming was just as white and even slower than us. Maybe next decade eh? :sad2:

Running exclusively outside won't work against the faster teams we'll play this season. We have to establish the inside running game if we want to be successful.

Still, glad to see us mix it up with tosses and counters against Wyoming. Just have to hope Adkins and Iltis/Stevens grow up in a hurry otherwise it won't matter where we try to run the ball against Texas/Kansas/Nebraska/Missouri etc.

tbd, nice inpolititically correct but otherwise absoulutely correct analysis

Back