What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

U$C Appeal - DENIED!!!

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Despite speculation and media reports that there might be a willingness on the part of the NCAA to listen favorably to a USC appeal that had asked that the 30 scholarships lost over three years with a maximum of 75 allowed and a two-year postseason bowl ban be cut in half, USCFootball.com's sources indicate that USC's appeal has been denied completely.

The Trojans football team will be allowed to sign no more than 15 players to scholarships for the next three seasons (against a top limit of 25 for schools not under sanction).

And of even more immediate impact, USC would not be able to compete for the first-ever Pac-12 championship or appear in the first-ever postseason championship game in 2011 as well.

Of further concern, the NCAA's unprecedented additional sanction allowing players affected by the postseason ban this year to immediately transfer to another institution without sitting out a season would still be in play for this year's seniors.

http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1225393

There's more to the article, but that's the meat of it.

8 commits already this year. Only room for 7 more guys.

Plus, their seniors can leave. They have a bunch of senior CBs, fwiw. hmmm.

http://usc.rivals.com/croster.asp?Team=USC&Sort=3

Last year we were able to get Patterson because we technically weren't in the conference yet. I seem to remember that there was a stipulation that said transfers could not go to other conference schools.

What does this mean for their bloated recently signed class, though?

Last year we were able to get Patterson because we technically weren't in the conference yet. I seem to remember that there was a stipulation that said transfers could not go to other conference schools.

What does this mean for their bloated recently signed class, though?

I don't think the NCAA will mess with the 2011 class. However, I doubt they'll allow USC to have more than 75 kids on scholarship for this season. That would mean transfers and/or not having room for some of the kids they signed.

You're absolutely right about the Pac-10 ruling against USC transfers within the conference under this NCAA penalty: http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mobile/?type=story&id=2012090135 I had forgotten that.

So they would have to transfer before June 1st? Officially we are in the Big 12 for a couple more days.

I like the way you're thinking, but I don't think it works that way. I believe they blocked us on Junior transfers last year. :lol:

Boy this sure $ux..:jawdrop:

:lol3::haha2::dance4::dance2:

For once, good on the NCAA for their stance.

Next up, Oregon...

GREAT NEWS! And well deserved for those pricks. Hopefully something similar will be headed the way of Oregon, OSU, and Auburn.

The 2011 class hasn't enrolled, so in order to achieve some class balance they might let 5 go and those recruits could go anywhere (I.e. Like PRich did). Those five ships would then be applied to this years class, meaning they could sign 20. At least that's how I interpret things.

The 75 limit doesn't go into effect until the "class of 15" arrives. They were well under the 85 # and have a large SR class in the coming season. That made them particularly vulnerable and they would have fallen well below 75 in the near future.

By filing the bogus appeal, they delayed the 15 limit for a year and then loaded up to 85. It was never more than a delay tactic. Going into this with 85 guys is much better than a lot fewer. This way they will drop down to 75 but not lower.

I wouldn't expect them to let anyone go as that doesn't help them.

Last edited:
The 75 limit doesn't go into effect until the "class of 15" arrives. They were well under the 85 # and have a large SR class in the coming season. That made them particularly vulnerable and they would have fallen well below 75 in the near future.

By filing the bogus appeal, they delayed the 15 limit for a year and then loaded up to 85. It was never more than a delay tactic. Going into this with 85 guys is much better than a lot fewer. This way they will drop down to 75 but not lower.

I wouldn't expect them to let anyone go as that doesn't help them.

Thanks, buffaholic. Good insight.

One thing I don't think you accounted for, though, is that USC has a lot of talented guys and that almost always translates to losing a few early to the NFL every year. The impact of that might very well drop them into the high 60s during the 3rd year of the penalty and it will take a couple/few years to build it back up.

It could. Plus they always have fallout as all schools do.

But it was very important to be at 85 to start and not Less.

If upheld, this penalty will smack them good.

They won't be cutting last years class though as I've been reading. That was a very calculated move to fill-to-the-gills.

This is taken from the Dawgman free board and shows the rationale of why I keep reading that they may dump a few 2011 recruits. It gets very confusing to say the least.

Here is the deal.

USC has 83 scholarship players (including incoming freshmen) on its roster. It is possible that it may lose 1 or 2 players from that incoming freshmen class to grade issues.

USC has 13 seniors on its roster. Assuming ZERO attrition, that means that USC will have 69 players on its roster come next year.

The USC rooster is capped at 75 players for the next 3 years.

Assuming there is zero attrition, zero early exits for the NFL, and zero grade losses....that means that USC can only sign 6 players in 2012.

Of course, there will some attrition. Your guess is as good as mine but I suppose somewhere between 4 to 8 is a reasonable guess. Let's just call it 6 for the purpose of coming up with some number. If you disagree, just modify your calculation accordingly.

But if you use 6 for attrition, that means that USC can only sign 12 players in 2012. That is the 6 from attrition and the 6 that USC will be below 75 scholarships.

USC already has 8 verbals. I don't think that we will be fighting USC for too many players this year.

If true, that's a smaller SR class than I was led to believe. But the net result is the same. Kiffen loaded up in 2011. The impact will be a few years away and more sudden. He hopes to have success before the falloff, which is someone else's fault.

Don't see Kiffen cutting guys from 2011 incoming class as he needs to win before 2015.

Kiffen wont win either way.

Back