1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UCLA Coaching Search?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by SuperD, Mar 23, 2013.

1. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

The UCLA boards seem pretty convinced they are getting a new coach. Two of the main names being thrown around are Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens. Not sure I want either one of those guys in the league with UCLA's resources. Texas guys will be ticked if they pull Smart since they want to fire Barnes and hire him, and there is a rumor on their boards that Barnes gas interest in the USC gig (may want to jump ship ahead of the posse).

2. hsu

hsu New Member

I can't see Smart or Stevens leaving their current positions at VCU and Butler...after their respective March Madness successes, they had some plum jobs available that were theirs if they wanted them (most notably Illinois and NC State for Smart; Illinois and Maryland for Stevens), but both chose to sign long-term extensions instead. I'm not sure if even Wichita State's Gregg Marshall is a possibility; he turned down NC State a couple years ago and signed an extension as well. Of course, UCLA is a tier above these programs, so you never know, I guess.

3. nolabuff

nolabuff Club Member Club Member

Especially Stevens with Butler entering the new Big East. I'm not sure UCLA will fire Howland. This could be a good year to strike though. There's not that many high profile openings. In fact the only one I think is remotely close is U$C. Texas Tech and Northwester being the only other "big" programs with vacancies as of right now. I think it's been mentioned here though, it only takes one of these schools like UCLA or Texas to open up and there might be a whole lot of dominoes falling. It could be a very interesting offseason for the coaching carousel or an extremely dull one.

4. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I could actually see today's loss to Michigan being a possible reason Smart would look at UCLA if offered. Hard to be a top tier program when you simply can't pull in the talent of the super power schools. He could easily do so at UCLA.

5. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

It seems to me UCLA makes excuses to keep Howland as much as Texas makes excuses to keep Barnes. Would like to see them both stay in their spots for a while. Good coaches in those programs would be trouble.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

As I said in another thread, I want a great coach at UCLA and for them to be a great program. CU has a better chance of getting where we want to go if we have UCLA and Arizona as the juggernauts in college hoops to measure ourselves against. I don't think that UConn program, as an example, would have ever achieved what it did if it didn't have Georgetown and Syracuse to measure itself against in conference play.

So I'm hoping that UCLA hires Smart, Stevens or Marshall (Wichita State).

7. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

There's some chatter on rivals that UCLA is trying to go all in for Billy Donovan

8. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

If fUCLA got any of those guys, would we see any more of the Shabazz Muhammad type one-and-done guys, or is that more of a Howland thing than a fUCLA thing?

9. Buffnik

The biggest challenge at UCLA will always be to manage the egos that come with coaching an all-star team. I think those 3 guys would be able to play it more like Self has at Kansas and less like what we see at Kentucky and North Carolina.

10. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

Dear UCLA,

Good luck with that.

Signed,
    Gator Nation

11. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

I enjoy it better when my friends from UCLA, well... they just want to kill someone after games. This makes it more entertaining. Ben Howland makes my life more entertaining.

12. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

Smart seems like the Chris Petersen of college basketball. He's connected to every high profile opening but never goes anywhere.

13. btbuff

Shorter period of time. Petersen is going on 6 or 7 years of being linked to every opening.

14. Buffnik

Multiple sources said Howland would not be retained but the UCLA athletic department was looking to keep second-year assistant coach Korey McCray on board.
    McCray, the lead recruiter for the staff, was instrumental in the recruitment of current players Tony Parker, Jordan Adams and others, as well as the 2013 recruiting class.
    "A staff member just called me about an hour ago," one source said when informed of the plan to terminate Howland's contract. "It should be interesting who they bring in. They said [VCU head coach] Shaka [Smart] is the No. 1 candidate."

http://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1487350

15. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Not related to the UCLA coaching job but to the USC one, Dixon signed a 10-year contract today to stay at Pitt.

16. btbuff

Unrelated to current Wichita State win but I would show some interest in Gregg Marshall.

17. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

ruh roh

18. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

One of the blue bloods. Damn.

19. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

Boyle isn't a splashy enough name for fUCLA. They're too arrogant to accept his candidacy, thankfully.

20. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Not concerned.

21. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

this is a huge point.

22. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Is Gregg Marshall a big enough name for them?

23. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Not in my opinion. It would take getting rejected by quite a few. Marshall is a southerner, I expect him to pop up at a major conference school in the south or midwest.

24. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

he's a much bigger name than Boyle.

25. letsgoavs192

letsgoavs192 Well-Known Member

Vic Lombardi also said he keeps hearing UCLA will make a push for Tad.

I started a thread a couple weeks ago asking why he hasn't been signed to a longer/bigger extension and everyone acted like I was dumb.....

26. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

ShockerHoops talked about Marshall and UCLA when his name was floated earlier in the year. He basically said that isn't his scene or style. That there's too much downside and not enough upside for him to go there.

27. ZKobalt

ZKobalt Well-Known Member

Cause if UCLA wanted Tad, they would still go after even if Tad had a longer/bigger contract.

28. Buffnik

It's because we had a bunch of threads on the topic and Tad has signed two extensions/raises in the past 12 months. I'm not sure that there was anything else proactively to be done. If Tad wants to stay, he just has to say what his number is.

29. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

It's not dumb at all. Until he makes the big bucks and has a very long-term contract, it will be easier for him to leave. Again, I don't think he will until the KU job opens up and maybe even then. This is just something that comes with success, his name is going to be popular when there's a big vacancy. We can only hope this happens in football.

30. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

When was the last time a coach resigned to take another job in his own conference?