What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Coaching Search?

So what's everyone missing with the fact that he's been extended multiple times in the past couple years and has a lot of money in incentives? Another thing is he left a 100K a year job for a assistant job with much less pay

At the end of the ESPN article, a "source" is mentioned as saying that UCLA's AD has a "fondness" for VCU's Shaka Smart and that he would be their first focus.

I still don't think he leaves VCU if this source is correct, but as Buffnik mentioned earlier in the thread, I'd love for him to do so to establish an elite program that CU can measure itself against. It'd also be incredibly entertaining (and eventually annoying, I guess) getting to watch Havoc in person almost every year.

Last edited:
At the end of the ESPN article, a "source" is mentioned as saying that UCLA's AD has a "fondness" for VCU's Shaka Smart and that he would be their first focus.
He's the first AD to have a "fondness" for him. I don't know if he leaves, he turned down Illinois last year and that's where he's from. Someone like him could see Illinois as his dream job.

So what's everyone missing with the fact that he's been extended multiple times in the past couple years and has a lot of money in incentives? Another thing is he left a 100K a year job for a assistant job with much less pay

If I recall, it was at least 100k...minimum that he was making pre-caoching. And the assistant job Turgeon handed him was 16k.

If I recall, it was at least 100k...minimum that he was making pre-caoching. And the assistant job Turgeon handed him was 16k.

That's exactly what it was. It was "restricted earnings position" that paid 16k.

that's worth repeating, he left a 100k a year job in 1994 for a job that had a title around it called "restrictive earnings". This isn't like leaving a 100k a year job for a job with 16k base with bonus potential of 200k.

Last edited:
So for those who are wonder why Howland was fired (not official but still), here's an explanation...

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens...636/source-ucla-bruins-fire-coach-ben-howland

And before him, Steve Lavin was fired for not making the Sweet 16 for one season. Had made the Sweet 16 (or higher) 5 of his first 6 seasons.

UCLA is out of touch with reality. There is no John Wooden coming their way. They'll get top talent, the top talent will leave early for the NBA. They will have down seasons without Sweet 16's. That's the nature of the game in the present day.

And before him, Steve Lavin was fired for not making the Sweet 16 for one season. Had made the Sweet 16 (or higher) 5 of his first 6 seasons.

UCLA is out of touch with reality. There is no John Wooden coming their way. They'll get top talent, the top talent will leave early for the NBA. They will have down seasons without Sweet 16's. That's the nature of the game in the present day.
Yeah pretty much, you know that going in, they expect greatness at all times.

They will go after Shaka at VCU, Stevens at Butler, and Tad. All of them will turn it down, and #firedangerreo will trend on twitter.

Shaka turned down UCLA and signed an extension with VCU.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I think it's Stevens or bust for UCLA, not sure they ever wanted Shaka, at least not in their first tier. Their boards seem to think there is interest on his side as well but they are wary of getting "Petersen'd" like they did when they thought they were getting Boise's coach.

I think it's Stevens or bust for UCLA, not sure they ever wanted Shaka, at least not in their first tier. Their boards seem to think there is interest on his side as well but they are wary of getting "Petersen'd" like they did when they thought they were getting Boise's coach.

or it was made immediately clear they had no chance with Shaka as he's quite content in Richmond

I heard Tad on the radio today (I think with Logan and Krieger) and he said he is without a doubt staying at CU. Loves Boulder, his guys, etc.

Kareem? Great player, but really, they'll hire a 65 year old with no coaching experience. :lol:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-abdul-jabbar-ucla-20130328,0,4273604.story

No way they do that. Right?

If UCLA's going to hire a former player, they should go with Kiki Vandeweghe. He was a hell of an NBA player personnel guy and did a respectable job as a GM. He also was a HC for a bit with the Nets after he fired a guy and had to do the interim thing.

I'm not saying Kiki would be a great hire, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than Kareem. Got to be at least a decade younger, too.

He has coaching experience, not exactly extensive though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kareem_Abdul-Jabbar#Post-NBA_career)

Ah yes, he actually has a little more experience than the L.A. times article indicates. This pretty much sums up his chances though..."Abdul-Jabbar was the head coach of the Oklahoma Storm of the United States Basketball League (the what?) in 2002, leading the team to the league's championship that season, but he failed to land the head coaching position at Columbia University a year later."

I'm sure this could develop into ten conversations but I think Mike Brown would be a good college coach.

Well, he lives in LA. Made a ton of money from the Laker buyout. His son is a senior in high school and signed with Butler. Had some interest from other solid schools like St. Marys, but not quite consistent attention from the Pac 12 level. I could see them wanting to hire an NBA guy, and I could see Mike Brown wanting to coach his son and stay in LA.

It's hard to say who the best hire would be... I think Stevens is as good as they come, but coaching AND recruiting 1 and done guys is a little different than what he's doing at Butler. A lot of college coaches are great at developing talent and their program, but squeezing the most you can out of a year is an acquired taste.

It will be interesting to see who they get and how they do.

Brown might be the best choice for the AD. NBA experience, with the lakers no less, brings cred with those one-and-done players. He could exploit that both in recruiting and in his management of players. I would think the alumni base would support the hire- good for AD job security.

I dont know why, but that hire doesnt intimidate me the same way a Stevens hire may.

Back