What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Coaching Search?

I think that if Tad left it would be very hard for him to do so within the same conference. He refuses to schedule Northern Colorado until all of the kids he recruited have graduated. He did not like drawing Maryland (Turgeon) in the 2011-12 pre-season tourney due to their friendship and has said he will not schedule the Terps. These relationships are very important to Tad. I think having to play CU every year for the next 4 against kids he recruited and made promises to would be extremely unpalatable to Tad. Would be even worse if Pri or Rohn got promoted at CU and Tad was having to coach against them all the time. This is a bigger factor than a lot of people probably realize.

I doubt that fUcla has had meaningful discussions with those on their "A" list yet. Seems like Smart and Stevens were/are their dream gets, and Brown, et al, are the next step down.

They had coaches taking them to sweet-16 and final four gigs, who were then fired. I really think Tad is smart enough to steer clear of that nuclear wasteland.

Is this the coaching search that UCLA finally realizes that it's NOT the 1970s and making the Final Four every year is a bit unrealistic?

I think that if Tad left it would be very hard for him to do so within the same conference. He refuses to schedule Northern Colorado until all of the kids he recruited have graduated. He did not like drawing Maryland (Turgeon) in the 2011-12 pre-season tourney due to their friendship and has said he will not schedule the Terps. These relationships are very important to Tad. I think having to play CU every year for the next 4 against kids he recruited and made promises to would be extremely unpalatable to Tad. Would be even worse if Pri or Rohn got promoted at CU and Tad was having to coach against them all the time. This is a bigger factor than a lot of people probably realize.

It's a huge factor. Tad really takes that seriously. I know in this era of coaches saying "I love it here" and then turning around two days later and leaving can make it hard to believe, but Tad is refreshing in that way. Add in that he's just not a fit for UCLA and that even on their second-tier, it's unlikely UCLA comes calling for a guy who has yet to finish above 5th in conference at CU or made the second weekend of the Dance...I really see very little reason for concern over this potential opening. Tad may leave us someday, but it will be for a blueblood to the east IMO.

This is a recruiting strategy for Tad. The more PR he gets here, the better. If UCLA were to offer him, and he turned it down, even better. I hope they offer.

Tad is NOT leaving CU for UCLA. Period.

Great example of "actions louder than words."

To reiterate, I'm really not that concerned. If I wasn't affliated with CU, I wouldn't even think twice about him leaving. I doubt he'd even be on my radar screen for potential coaches. He hasn't made it to the top 1/3 of the Pac-12 standings and second weekend of the NCAA Tourney. How would UCLA justify this hiring? Someone who was in Greeley less than 3 years ago.

To reiterate, I'm really not that concerned. If I wasn't affliated with CU, I wouldn't even think twice about him leaving. I doubt he'd even be on my radar screen for potential coaches. He hasn't made it to the top 1/3 of the Pac-12 standings and second weekend of the NCAA Tourney. How would UCLA justify this hiring? Someone who was in Greeley less than 3 years ago.

I think this is right. UCLA is going to end up hiring Mike Brown, IMO. Still wish they would hire Walton, though. Epic press conferences and the relief of not having to listen to him call games. Win-win.

I think this is right. UCLA is going to end up hiring Mike Brown, IMO. Still wish they would hire Walton, though. Epic press conferences and the relief of not having to listen to him call games. Win-win.

I dunno, Walton's patented brand of stream of consciousness insanity is starting to grow on me. You at least have to acknowledge he has a distinctive style in an industry predicated on boring talking heads.

I dunno, Walton's patented brand of stream of consciousness insanity is starting to grow on me. You at least have to acknowledge he has a distinctive style in an industry predicated on boring talking heads.

I have to say he can be awfully entertaining ... in the same way that a drunk uncle at Thanksgiving can be entertaining.

I just wish his "stream of consciousness" ramblings would be isolated to boring blowouts or at least breaks in the action. When he goes off on one of those in the middle of action in a close hard-fought game, it really irritates me ... and it would if it were any announcer.

I might be completely crazy, but I think he used to call NBA games for ESPN. At that time, I felt the same as you do now. Maybe I'm just getting older and crankier, but his rambling is just getting tired now.

I might be completely crazy, but I think he used to call NBA games for ESPN. At that time, I felt the same as you do now. Maybe I'm just getting older and crankier, but his rambling is just getting tired now.
He was the lead analyst for a time. He's great during a blowout, but he gets a little too off-topic during a game that actually matters.

Buzz Williams is going to get a call from UCLA.

UCLA is not going to hire a failed Lakers coach as their coach. Get a grip.

I read yesterday where Kareem has asked for an interview. He's in his 60's now.

Probably creates some dilemma for the AD. How do you not talk to Kareem about the opening? He actually has some pretty good experience, just not at the college level. Way too risky of a move for the AD of course, but it creates complications.....

Would love it if Joel Krass moved to LA to consult with the UCLA former players on how to get your boy elected to a job he's ill-equipped to do...

I read yesterday where Kareem has asked for an interview. He's in his 60's now.

Probably creates some dilemma for the AD. How do you not talk to Kareem about the opening? He actually has some pretty good experience, just not at the college level. Way too risky of a move for the AD of course, but it creates complications.....

Would love it if Joel Krass moved to LA to consult with the UCLA former players on how to get your boy elected to a job he's ill-equipped to do...

I don't think it's that complicated at all. We turned down McCartney and he was a proven winner at our school. Sure you can grant him a token interview, but they aren't going to take a chance on him.

Kareem was actually advocating for the job yesterday on some sports talk radio I was listening to.

Kareem was actually advocating for the job yesterday on some sports talk radio I was listening to.

If he's not good enough for Columbia, I doubt UCLA would think he's good enough for them. He's just using his name recognition to promote himself. I hope no one is taking this too seriously.

I would be shocked if Brad Stevens had any interest at all in this job.

what about the Florida Gulf Coast coach with the hot wife? That looks like a good LA combination!

I would be shocked if Brad Stevens had any interest at all in this job.

what about the Florida Gulf Coast coach with the hot wife? That looks like a good LA combination!

It looks like a good idea now, but does one of the premier college basketball programs really want someone who has basically had a few good weeks? They finished second in their conference. Atleast someone like Gregg Marshall has done it over a much longer sustained period of time.

UCLA may have whiffed again. ESPN reporting they have a source close to the situation claiming Stevens is staying at Butler.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens...01/brad-stevens-staying-butler-ucla-overtures

Bill Self's name is starting to come up a little more in search chatter which makes me a little nervous.
I don't think Self is leaving a relatively safe situation at Kansas for UCLA. It's easier to win at KU at this point. Not sure why he would want to start over? Maybe he's up for a challenge?

I think Buffs fans really overrate Tad (and that's not a slight on Tad). Sports fans tend to overvalue their own personnel since they are the most familiar with them. I get it when he draws interest from the A&M's. Nebraskas, K-States of the world. But do you really think Kansas like UCLA really wants someone who hasn't led their program to the second week of the Tourney? If anything, I think Terps fans(which I am also a fan of) should be more concerned about Mark Turgeon. He has much more of a track record.

Would KU target Tad, sure. Would he be one of their first choices, doubtful. And I think Turgeon would be significantly ahead on the list.

I can't imagine Self would leave a top 3 program like Kansas for UCLA's disinterested and fickle fanbase. That would not make any sense. Chatter is chatter, in this case.

Ah, a minute later than '85. Agree with him on his points, too. Boyle is second tier to those programs, unless an AD gets a total boner about 'his' guy (howdy, Bzdelik!).

Last edited:
I can't imagine Self would leave a top 3 program like Kansas for UCLA's disinterested and fickle fanbase. That would not make any sense. Chatter is chatter, in this case.

UCLA flies Southwest Airlines to away games. End of story.

UCLA flies Southwest Airlines to away games. End of story.

That is a very reversible decision, Howland bitched left and right about it but unlike Boyle (who values chartering and has indicated that he'd rather charter than have the money in his pocket) he chose the extra pay. You lay in the bed you've made, the next coach could very easily change course on chartering.

Back