What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA Coaching Search?

Dan Wetzel just tweeted that he has a source indicating USC is targeting Andy Enfield. Not the direction I thought they would go, but would be entertaining if they could bring that style LA. Would definitely help put butts in seats.
I wouldn't even call the Atlantic Sun a "mid-major," they are a low major. He might be a fit at a BCS school, but do you really want to hire someone off a few good weeks? This is a team that finished second in their conference, a one-bid league conference. If he had done this for 2-3 years, I'd understand. I think the risk/reward on this pretty high on both ends.

150k buyout? UNM fail

This. Alford made the program solid. Not tourney Cinderellas, but winning the mwc and its tourney consistently. Even with a 10 year deal a 1MM buyout is ridiculously low. Awful AD.

Sounds like he has a monster buy-out and he is staying at CSU unless an NBA job comes calling

Actually, with New Mexico in turmoil Eustachy might be licking his chops to make CSU's move towards the top of MWC pecking order a more permanent state. Now if they can just get their fans to actually attend games.

Ouch...Alford's $1 million buyout from the extension doesn't kick in until Monday. If he signs this weekend UCLA only has to pay $150k.

Might be bad for our chances with Perkins. New Mexico has been going after Perkins pretty hard, wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA offer him now.

Unlikely it has much of an effect. The same thing that New Mexico was selling Perkins on is still there: being the star of a program that has a rabid fan base and not being that far from home/playing against universities (Air Force, Colorado State, Wyoming) that are also close to home.

Why go to UCLA? If he's going to a blue blood type program, hard to see him picking UCLA over KU. They've been more successful and have a coach with a track record of getting to the Final Four

Unlikely it has much of an effect. The same thing that New Mexico was selling Perkins on is still there: being the star of a program that has a rabid fan base and not being that far from home/playing against universities (Air Force, Colorado State, Wyoming) that are also close to home.

Why go to UCLA? If he's going to a blue blood type program, hard to see him picking UCLA over KU. They've been more successful and have a coach with a track record of getting to the Final Four

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but are you saying there's no difference between UCLA and UNM?

Howland on CBS right now, very gracious. If USC was smart they'd hire him right now and not think twice, though there are still the concerns with some of the bridges he burned with some of the Cali AAU guys.

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but are you saying there's no difference between UCLA and UNM?

No, I'm saying the reasons why Perkins was likely interested in New Mexico, had next to nothing to do with Alford. UCLA obviously gets the higher profile recruits, but I have a hard time seeing Perkins pick UCLA over Kansas. What are the advantages of him doing so? Other then once every 2 years, he's not going to have a game close to home (same as KU if they continue to play CU), and he's not going to be the "guy" at UCLA. UCLA's not likely to be a Final Four team in the next 3-4 years, where as Self and KU are well positioned to make a run in 2014-15. New Mexico has their own unique appeal: one of the more rabid fan bases in college basketball and a chance for him to really leave a mark on that program.

Howland on CBS right now, very gracious. If USC was smart they'd hire him right now and not think twice, though there are still the concerns with some of the bridges he burned with some of the Cali AAU guys.

I think he likes UCLA too much to go to USC

No, I'm saying the reasons why Perkins was likely interested in New Mexico, had next to nothing to do with Alford. UCLA obviously gets the higher profile recruits, but I have a hard time seeing Perkins pick UCLA over Kansas. What are the advantages of him doing so? Other then once every 2 years, he's not going to have a game close to home (same as KU if they continue to play CU), and he's not going to be the "guy" at UCLA. UCLA's not likely to be a Final Four team in the next 3-4 years, where as Self and KU are well positioned to make a run in 2014-15. New Mexico has their own unique appeal: one of the more rabid fan bases in college basketball and a chance for him to really leave a mark on that program.

Other than you know...living 10 minutes from the beach in Southern Cali vs Lawrence freaking Kansas. I think you may be overrating the appeal of regularly playing Air Force too. Don't underestimate the importance of the relationship these guys forge with the guys recruiting them. Unless you are a local kid or absolutely in love with a school (because its Stanford or say...UCLA) then not having any relationship with an incoming staff is a big deal. New Mexico does not have enough natural advantages that a kid is likely to just fall in love with the school regardless of who his coach is going to be.

Other than you know...living 10 minutes from the beach in Southern Cali vs Lawrence freaking Kansas. I think you may be overrating the appeal of regularly playing Air Force too. Don't underestimate the importance of the relationship these guys forge with the guys recruiting them. Unless you are a local kid or absolutely in love with a school (because its Stanford or say...UCLA) then not having any relationship with an incoming staff is a big deal. New Mexico does not have enough natural advantages that a kid is likely to just fall in love with the school regardless of who his coach is going to be.

I could be wrong, but believe playing 10 minutes from the beach, ranks very low on Perkins's list for choosing a school.

Not saying that I think New Mexico will sign Perkins. Just that I'd be more surprised with him signing with UCLA then I'd be New Mexico. Most New Mexico fans see Neal as the better recruiter then Alford. Just don't really see how this is much of a factor.

Most people seem to think KU, Gonzaga, CU have the best chance to land him. KU because of their tradition, chance to win a National Championship being highest. Gonzaga because of his relationship with Matt Bouldin and it being a Jesuit University. And CU because of Tad Boyle. Would be a fairly big surprise if it was somewhere else (other then Duke, perhaps), but New Mexico might have the best chance of anyone but those 3.

Alford is an underwhelming choice

Just goes to show the unrealistic world UCLA fans live in. Fire Howland with his three Final Fours to get a coach who couldn't take Iowa (where he failed) or New Mexico to a single Sweet 16. It's not like he's been making the Dance every year, either. Far from it. I'm not exactly shaking in my boots over this choice. I wish him luck. He puts forth similar success to what he had at New Mexico and they'll fire him.

I dont know what ya'll are so unhappy about - it's UCLA - they are still going to get good recruits and transfers, because of wooden - not b/c alford or howland. I was shocked they signed alford (mainly b,c the 10yr deal he just inked w nm) but more so because I dont think he's a coach that fits their program - keep in mind we have to play these guys a handful of times per year (3 on the high end, 1 on the low end) and they were going after shaka - who would have absolutely eaten turnover-happy CU alive - or stevens, who probably would have just tried to out-defense us, which would have led to lots of games like the OU game in Eugene - ugly, close and not decided until the end. alford isnt something to be fearful of (just ask haaaavaaad) and as far as recruiting goes, just let the chips fall where they do. We are building a program - with a handful of CO kids like XT and jelly - that's been wildly successful over the last 3 years. Anyone who knows anything about the 2011 bball season knows we got pushed over a barrel - and young guys see that. We may not make a final 4 every 4 years like an izzo squad, but we are not MSU. Getting into the dance should be enough (and most likely will be) for a lot of these young guys.
This is america - all people want is a chance - just ask dunk city.

I dont know what ya'll are so unhappy about - it's UCLA - they are still going to get good recruits and transfers, because of wooden - not b/c alford or howland. I was shocked they signed alford (mainly b,c the 10yr deal he just inked w nm) but more so because I dont think he's a coach that fits their program - keep in mind we have to play these guys a handful of times per year (3 on the high end, 1 on the low end) and they were going after shaka - who would have absolutely eaten turnover-happy CU alive - or stevens, who probably would have just tried to out-defense us, which would have led to lots of games like the OU game in Eugene - ugly, close and not decided until the end. alford isnt something to be fearful of (just ask haaaavaaad) and as far as recruiting goes, just let the chips fall where they do. We are building a program - with a handful of CO kids like XT and jelly - that's been wildly successful over the last 3 years. Anyone who knows anything about the 2011 bball season knows we got pushed over a barrel - and young guys see that. We may not make a final 4 every 4 years like an izzo squad, but we are not MSU. Getting into the dance should be enough (and most likely will be) for a lot of these young guys.
This is america - all people want is a chance - just ask dunk city.

Beautiful.

I think UCLA panicked.

Agreed. I think they are the Alabama of basketball which meant nobody was really welcomed at Alabama because they weren't Bear Bryant. They have unrealistic expectations because of their phenomenal past success, which creates a perpetual cycle of failure. Not to say they can't still draw great coaches, but even that really isn't enough.

Agreed. I think they are the Alabama of basketball which meant nobody was really welcomed at Alabama because they weren't Bear Bryant. They have unrealistic expectations because of their phenomenal past success, which creates a perpetual cycle of failure. Not to say they can't still draw great coaches, but even that really isn't enough.

You nailed it. Not the coaching situation it once was. Even the conference schedule presents more of a challenge than it once did. This hire begs to question IF they can still draw the best coaches.

we are lucky for tad, but if i am hiring and howland and tubby are available....this is a good market. those guys aren't average tommy tuberville jim donnan frank haith retreads.

Man. Vitale just lit into ucla, alford, and the college presidents who raid their 'fellow institutions' (Vitale's terminology), particularly when a coach has just negotiated a new, long term deal. He also claimed that ucla didn't ask the NM ad's permission to speak to alford.

Man. Vitale just lit into ucla, alford, and the college presidents who raid their 'fellow institutions' (Vitale's terminology), particularly when a coach has just negotiated a new, long term deal. He also claimed that ucla didn't ask the NM ad's permission to speak to alford.

Paul Krebs, the New Mexico AD, was on the radio yesterday and basically admitted he was sleeping and woke up to messages on his phone from Alford and Dan Guerrero...it had happened.

Back