1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ucla lost to Monmouth and Wake forest

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by ahoelsken, Dec 14, 2015.

1. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Yet, they're ranked, and we're not. That makes sense

2. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

UCLA beat Kentucky and we beat CSU.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

As Bilas says, I don't really care who you can lose to. Show me who you can beat.

UCLA has beat Kentucky (as Goose said), won a neutral over UNLV (other loss by Rebs was at Wichita State) and won at Gonzaga.

If you can win those 3 games, I'd say you're one of the 25 best teams in the country despite dropping an opener to Monmouth and neutrals to Kansas and Wake.

4. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

Eh, it's more about when they lose as well. They've shown signs of obvious improvement since their first game and the AP awarded them for that.

Would think people would be mostly happy with Colorado's spot at this point in the season. Knocking on the door of a top 25 ranking, which is pretty much a best case scenario after the ISU loss

5. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

IMO better to stay just out of the Top 25; keeps the team hungry and less of a target on their backs.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  6. Buffnik

I'd like to be Top 25 for the national attention and also for the attendance bump it would cause heading into Pac-12 play.

Daaah likes this.
  7. BuffNative

BuffNative Club Member Club Member

The AP poll is a media poll and the media likes teams that grab headlines. When UCLA beat Kentucky their name was plastered all over. Add in the UCLA brand name and you get the 5 ranking spot difference between the coaches poll (26) and the AP (22). I guess the question is, do you think Colorado would be ranked if they swapped resumes with UCLA this year? My guess is we would be ranked about where we are now at 29. The media will forgive inconsistency in a blue blood but not for a program like CU.

Given UCLAs wild variability I would say they that at their ceiling they are better than CU but CU might still beat them every other game. I'm not sure who is actually the better team right now, I'd rather let that play out on the court.

UCLA's story also demonstrates how super aggressive scheduling can benefit a team. Heck, even if you get destroyed by a world-beating team, like UCLA at Kentucky last year, you can still make the tournament. It gives you so much margin for error.

Unfortunately for CU, they couldn't schedule like UCLA even if they wanted to. CU may never have the clout to get a 1 and 1 with Kentucky.

8. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Our best wins are at CSU and at Auburn. They lost to Northern CO and Middle Tennessee respectively.

UCLA boat raced the #1 team in the country, UCLA beat the #20 team in thier gym.

The Monmouth team you mentioned about has wins over #17 ND, over usc, and over UCLA - they are probably better than any team we have beaten.

Wake foreset has beaten the #13 team in the in the country and ucla but lost to #19 on neutral courts

9. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

OP has been punched to floor. Close thread.

10. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

Speaking of Monmouth ... I hope these guys make it into the tourney and stick around a while. It would be entertaining.

[​IMG]

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I love how he's leaning on the coach.

12. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

The problem that I am starting to worry about is the Pac12 is probably one of the toughest conferences this year (#1 in conference RPI, 2/3rds the conference in top 50 RPI, only one team out of the top 90, some really strong victories and only a couple of really questionable losses), and with two weeks to go until conference play starts there are 2 Pac12 teams ranked in the AP and one in the Coach's poll. The problem is that when the Pac12 starts beating up on each other, if no or very few teams are ranked, it could skew national perception as to how good the conference really is when it comes bid time.

13. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

Yea, but 5 teams have been ranked at some point. Just have to take care of ourselves and we'll be fine. We don't need the conference to carry us in.

scoob likes this.
  14. scoob

scoob Club Member Club Member

I agree. Barring a loss against Penn St, and even with a loss to SMU or Kent, CU will be heading into conference play with a good enough resume that they will control their destiny. Take care of business in conference (10-8 or better) and they should be on the right side of the bubble, regardless of how the rest on the conference shakes out.

15. Buffnik

Committee gives zero ****s about the polls.

16. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

They give a lot of ****s on how you are playing down the stretch. The 'zona and ASU games might be big.