What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA tells Darrell Scott "Not Interested"

maybe he can quit the team by carrier pigeon under that guy.

I am not happy with him quitting the team but I also know of cases where the player who quit had good reason for doing so. If you have a coach or coaches who are trying to "teach you a lesson" when it is the coach or coaches who need the lesson then I will side with the player.

The "He has a hurt knee" but then he is running back kicks, the "He's going to be a big part of the gameplan" then he gets 2 carries. I am not saying that DS is right in this situation but unless somebody can prove otherwise, I am also not going to say he is wrong unless I see some real proof that he was the problem.

A kid gets one chance at a college career, if a coach is doing his best to screw it up, especially if that is contrary to what the coach promised in recruiting, the kid has to do what is right for the kid.

I feel the same way about Toney coming in from Michigan. I know that some Michigan fans are pissed at him, as well as at the QB and some other guys who left. Fact is it is their life and they have an obligation to themselves to make the best of it. Sitting on the bench so Hawk can prove a point is not making the best of it.

if d scott had an o-line that could get a push, he would average 5 a carry.

No ****. He averaged 4.13 (our highest average) with a line that couldn't do anything. DScott is going to create some waves if he goes somewhere with a decent line. I think he should suck it up and go to the WAC, MWC, MAC, ACC, or similar conference. Get him on a team with a decent line and he will tear some fools a new one and be right back on track to the NFL.

No ****. He averaged 4.13 (our highest average) with a line that couldn't do anything. DScott is going to create some waves if he goes somewhere with a decent line. I think he should suck it up and go to the WAC, MWC, MAC, ACC, or similar conference. Get him on a team with a decent line and he will tear some fools a new one and be right back on track to the NFL.

Pull the toledo game from his stats and he averages under two, incidentally a cadre of ****ty running backs from places like Purdue and Central Michigan have much better averages than scott did against toledo.

Based on what? Toledo?

Look at his stats from last season and compare them to Stewart's.

You can pull Toledo if you want, I guess. But Toledo was the only game DS got an honest chance. When DS had a decent hole to work with, he looked pretty good. That's hard to dispute. As our oine has been utter crap since his admittance, perhaps DScott was not the perfect fit for CU at this point. I still contend that he has a bright future if he plays his cards right.

if d scott had an o-line that could get a push, he would average 5 a carry.
and speedy would average 10 a carry, so ds would still be the back up. kinda hard to tell speedy "hey your the better back, your a harder worker but you only got 2 stars coming out of high school so you gotta sit behind 5 star".

You can pull Toledo if you want, I guess. But Toledo was the only game DS got an honest chance. When DS had a decent hole to work with, he looked pretty good. That's hard to dispute. As our oine has been utter crap since his admittance, perhaps DScott was not the perfect fit for CU at this point. I still contend that he has a bright future if he plays his cards right.

Everyone talking about DS's potential points to the Toledo game, but consider the facts. They are almost last in the country in rushing D, and almost every RB has his year high against them. Just last night the Eastern Michigan RB averaged 8yds per carry.

The other argument is that he never got a chance. It seems to me that the staff gave the guy every opportunity to start. He opened the season as the starter, I assume he got lots of reps in practice. True he didn't get many carries in games, but how many chances should they give a guy who is only generating a yard or two per touch? You can lose a lot of games waiting for him to "get into his rythm".

Bottom line, DS couldn't keep Stewart off the field.

I'm not gonna wade through all of these posts, sorry if this has been posted - how about Montana (ala Ochs) couldn't he play right away?

I'm not gonna wade through all of these posts, sorry if this has been posted - how about Montana (ala Ochs) couldn't he play right away?

Wouldn't get him any closer to home. I may be off on my Cal prediction given the home/home that we have with them in the next 2-3 years. I still think he wants to play D-1 football at a major conference. If UCLA and Cal are out (and USC is probably out, too), then that leaves ASU and maybe UofA as the remaining possibilities if he wants to stay somewhat close to home.

I'm sure there are lots of schools that he could play right away for. But why speculate, and why insult his ability with Montana reference? He could start next year for over half the D1 schools, I'd think. I'm sure there are a few good/ranked programs that might even be hurting for a decent back.

I don't think he CAN play right away with that knee. Something is very wrong there.

I'm sure there are lots of schools that he could play right away for. But why speculate, and why insult his ability with Montana reference? He could start next year for over half the D1 schools, I'd think. I'm sure there are a few good/ranked programs that might even be hurting for a decent back.

I'm not insulting his ability, as I recall Craig Ochs was a blue chipper when CU recruited him and settled in nicely at Montana when things went south.

The "didn't get a chance" is BS. It's not like he got 3 carries. He had something around 100 carries. I have posted this elsewhere, but the KU game was the final straw. DS needs big holes right in front of him (Toledo game). In the KU game, the first series of each half, he had about 4-5 touches and missed big plays on 3 of them. I queued it up for 3 of my buds who thought I was FOS and they couldn't believe it in slow motion.

I think there's plenty of D1 schools who will give him a scholly and a chance but review of his game film at CU combined with his "nice guy" qualities (and I mean that as a positive for him character wise) make his future success questionable imo. He's got the size and speed for sure. I question his killer-instinct and his instincts as a runner. This last point may have been beaten out of him by Hagen because I know early-on, Hagen was all over him to run North-South and it appeared that DS was "thinking too much"

It seems to me DScott has alot of growing up to do. He has ability, no doubt. However, he needs to understand there is a reason why all of the people he plays against are in college to begin with. I could give a **** what he did in high school cause D1 football is on a different planet compared to that. He wants to be successful, put in the work. He does that, he'll be fine.

It's kind of hard to measure Darrell Scotts potential on this team. If he were at USC or Texas things might be different in showing off his skills. He probably came here because he wouldn't have to wait to start. Instead he got beat out by a 3* that no one else was after that was clearly underrated. A player we might not have recruited if DS didn't play that game with ESPN and committed early.

Oh well.

It's kind of hard to measure Darrell Scotts potential on this team. If he were at USC or Texas things might be different in showing off his skills. He probably came here because he wouldn't have to wait to start. Instead he got beat out by a 3* that no one else was after that was clearly underrated. A player we might not have recruited if DS didn't play that game with ESPN and committed early.

Oh well.

IIRC. He also came here because he and Josh wanted to be at the same school and not every school was willing to offer two schollies to the pair. Darrell was a more highly sought-after recruit. Now Josh is settled at UCLA and Darrell isn't. Strange how it turns out.

Oh well.
Maybe USC but Texas? I have to disagree, they dont run the ball well and I dont think he would do so well there. He doesnt fit the spread and that is basically what Texas does.

Maybe USC but Texas? I have to disagree, they dont run the ball well and I dont think he would do so well there. He doesnt fit the spread and that is basically what Texas does.

yeah he might have been better of at a big10 school.

I've read a rumor a couple of times that a few teams, Pete Carroll-USC included, thought Darrell was more suited for LB then RB.

The "didn't get a chance" is BS. It's not like he got 3 carries. He had something around 100 carries. I have posted this elsewhere, but the KU game was the final straw. DS needs big holes right in front of him (Toledo game). In the KU game, the first series of each half, he had about 4-5 touches and missed big plays on 3 of them. I queued it up for 3 of my buds who thought I was FOS and they couldn't believe it in slow motion.

I think there's plenty of D1 schools who will give him a scholly and a chance but review of his game film at CU combined with his "nice guy" qualities (and I mean that as a positive for him character wise) make his future success questionable imo. He's got the size and speed for sure. I question his killer-instinct and his instincts as a runner. This last point may have been beaten out of him by Hagen because I know early-on, Hagen was all over him to run North-South and it appeared that DS was "thinking too much"

It is amazing that you could see his 4-5 touches to start each half since he only got to carry the ball 3 times total in the KU game. He did have 5 KO returns for good yardage.

Scott is gone. This team does a poor job of running the ball and certainly struggles between the tackles. I would not be surprised to see DS go somewhere and have a nice finish to his career.

This all reminds me when posters on these boards were claiming the Maivia would never see the field at UCLA or that Josh Smith is no good.

Attrition of players should concern fans...

This all reminds me when posters on these boards were claiming the Maivia would never see the field at UCLA or that Josh Smith is no good.

It reminds me more of when Brown was started ahead of Houston, Houston transferred, and the posters on these boards were so pissed they wanted to run Bienemy out of town on a rail.

It reminds me more of when Brown was started ahead of Houston, Houston transferred, and the posters on these boards were so pissed they wanted to run Bienemy out of town on a rail.

I guess your and my memories of those days are totally different.

First, EB was/is a CU legend and had a lot of stroke with the CU fans. Only the MH pr machine was trying to push EB out - the fans sided more with EB.

Second, Chris Brown started early in 2001 because every other running back was nicked up. Brown got in the doghouse because of untimely fumbles early in the year. CU had a stable of running backs they were rotating in - Cortlan Johnson, Chris Brown, Bobby Purify. Marcus Houston was hurt and unable to play in the first 4 games. That led to the EB Markeesa comment - MH would not play hurt in EB's opinion.

Third, By the time Houston got a little healthy over halfway through the season, the coaches where playing him as the second running back on the team behind Purify. Brown was hardly seeing the field...Brown went through a 3 game stretch where he only had 4 carries. The assertion that Brown was started in front of Houston just is not true.

Fourth, by the time that MH got healthy enough to play CU was winning and ranked in the top 20 - not many if any CU fans were calling for EBs head.

CU had 3 backs averaging over 5 yards a carry on that team - Brown, Purify and Johnson. Not too many were concerned with Houston's status...

First, EB was/is a CU legend and had a lot of stroke with the CU fans. Only the MH pr machine was trying to push EB out - the fans sided more with EB.

Second, Chris Brown started early in 2001 because every other running back was nicked up. Brown got in the doghouse because of untimely fumbles early in the year. CU had a stable of running backs they were rotating in - Cortlan Johnson, Chris Brown, Bobby Purify. Marcus Houston was hurt and unable to play in the first 4 games. That led to the EB Markeesa comment - MH would not play hurt in EB's opinion.

Third, By the time Houston got a little healthy over halfway through the season, the coaches where playing him as the second running back on the team behind Purify. Brown was hardly seeing the field...Brown went through a 3 game stretch where he only had 4 carries. The assertion that Brown was started in front of Houston just is not true.

Fourth, by the time that MH got healthy enough to play CU was winning and ranked in the top 20 - not many if any CU fans were calling for EBs head.

CU had 3 backs averaging over 5 yards a carry on that team - Brown, Purify and Johnson. Not too many were concerned with Houston's status...

yep, the three games before the Nebraska game is when Brown was in the doghouse. Cortlen Johnson had a monster game at Iowa St right before the NU game.

1) I would say EB and DH have similiar stroke with CU fans. There was definitely a call for EB's head, though to be fair a lot probably was from the media--Kizla wrote an article calling for EB's dismissal.

2) EB stated at the start of fall training that it was his opinion that he had 3 or 4 rbs of equal skill. I remember this distinctly because Joe Williams was raising hell just about every day on the radio that this claim was absurd, none of the backs could be as good as Houston. This sentiment was echoed by all the drones that called in.

3) Perhaps you are correct about that three-game stretch, I confess to not remembering exactly who started ahead of whom for three games in 01.

4) See #1.

Highly recruited back, beaten out by guy no one has heard of, rumors (or fact) of conflict with position coach (a CU icon), and a transfer out.

The biggest difference between the two to this point is that Houston was very promising as a freshman.

It is amazing that you could see his 4-5 touches to start each half since he only got to carry the ball 3 times total in the KU game. He did have 5 KO returns for good yardage.

Scott is gone. This team does a poor job of running the ball and certainly struggles between the tackles. I would not be surprised to see DS go somewhere and have a nice finish to his career.

I think he's saying that between the first series of each half (meaning 2 drives), Darrell had about 4-5 touches. With his screen pass and a few carries, I think it's an accurate statement.

1) I would say EB and DH have similiar stroke with CU fans. There was definitely a call for EB's head, though to be fair a lot probably was from the media--Kizla wrote an article calling for EB's dismissal.

2) EB stated at the start of fall training that it was his opinion that he had 3 or 4 rbs of equal skill. I remember this distinctly because Joe Williams was raising hell just about every day on the radio that this claim was absurd, none of the backs could be as good as Houston. This sentiment was echoed by all the drones that called in.

3) Perhaps you are correct about that three-game stretch, I confess to not remembering exactly who started ahead of whom for three games in 01.

4) See #1.

Highly recruited back, beaten out by guy no one has heard of, rumors (or fact) of conflict with position coach (a CU icon), and a transfer out.

The biggest difference between the two to this point is that Houston was very promising as a freshman.

Fair enough although I don't agree on Dan Hawkins having as much stroke with the fans as EB - just no way that is the case.

Joe Williams was always a MH fanboy. I remember before the Fiesta Bowl that year Joe was claiming that NFL scouts told him they watched the CU practices and that MH was by far the best running back. That was a total fabrication.

I think DS showed flashes of brilliance but the overall culture on this team is one of inconstancy. Even Speedy looks very pedestrian at times.

By the way one of the unsung heroes of the 2001 team at running back was Cortlan Johnson - injuries hampered his career also - a great 3rd down back because of his receiving ability. Cortlan and Purify were very similar but Cortlan had better moves in the open field.

Back