What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA to seek Permission to speak to Boyle Tomorrow

not so sure

UCLA's arrogance is just part of it. I genuinely don't think Tad would bounce to another Pac-12 program. If he leaves us, it would be for a blueblood to the east. JMO, but I really get the feeling he's highly content here. Maybe the black and gold glasses are on and I'm not realizing, but it sure seems to be that vibe to me.

i din't know what Tad is thinking but I think UCLA would test that commitment to colorado.

I don't even worry about Tad Boyle rumors anymore. These rumors are going to persist basically until Tad Boyle retires, and my view is if he's going to leave, he will. I just hope that CU will make a strong commitment to Boyle to match what he is offered elsewhere.

UCLA obviously has a great tradition, and he could have a lot of success there. I'd imagine though Boyle is not at the top of UCLA's list, but if a number of their top candidates turned them down, maybe he becomes an option

Dunno how UCLA operates but I assume since Howland is out, that they already have a strong belief in who they can get.

I wonder more where Howland will land?
I'm just wondering who they will get better than Howland? I guess they can do better, but they could also do worse. I wouldn't put it past them to do the latter.

My guess is Howland will land on his feet, maybe he takes off a year? But he's had previous success at Pitt as well as UCLA.

i din't know what Tad is thinking but I think UCLA would test that commitment to colorado.

You're also an ASU fan. No offense, but we likely have a bit better idea of what Tad is. UCLA certainly has its appeal, we all know. Tad is also not exactly an 'LA guy' or anything close to that.

Meanwhile, looking around, Pastner is likely too inexperienced in their eyes and UCLA is likely too arrogant to hire a guy who has only been a head coach coach for 4 years, but he would be a good fit there. The talent he'd bring into Westwood...holy ****. He's got the potential to be a long term solution instead of hiring a 55 year old. If it didn't work out and they wanted to fire him after a 25 win season and conference title like they did Howland, Pastner's successor would take over a loaded roster...

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would want that job right now. He wins the conference reg-season title, has 3 final fours, and they fire him.

I don't know why anyone would want that job right now. He wins the conference reg-season title, has 3 final fours, and they fire him.
It's a classic "what have you done for me lately," in this case, really lately. He knew going into this year, he had to at a minimum go to the tourney, and probably win a few games. Not saying that's fair, but it shouldn't come as a complete surprise.

And who would want the job... someone who wants to get paid a ton and coach one of the bluebloods.

It's a classic "what have you done for me lately," in this case, really lately. He knew going into this year, he had to at a minimum go to the tourney, and probably win a few games. Not saying that's fair, but it shouldn't come as a complete surprise.

And who would want the job... someone who wants to get paid a ton and coach one of the bluebloods.

Lately, like this year, he won a conference title and had 25 wins. Missing Jordan Adams for the game against Minnesota was huge - probably the difference. UCLA has some inner issues and it had reached the point where they wanted an excuse to pull the trigger. It's a pretty clear warning sign when you reach 3 Final Fours and you're thrown out the door a mere few years later despite winning 25 games and a conference title. It's been 38 years since Wooden coached and they have one national championship since then (18 years ago with disgraced cheater Jim Harrick as coach). Before Howland, Lavin was fired after one bad year despite making the tournament his first six seasons with 4 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8. Even North Carolina has tolerated down years with Roy Williams. I don't see the Heels getting ready to fire Roy after this season in which they're a mere 8 seed.

Lately, like this year, he won a conference title and had 25 wins. Missing Jordan Adams for the game against Minnesota was huge - probably the difference. UCLA has some inner issues and it had reached the point where they wanted an excuse to pull the trigger. It's a pretty clear warning sign when you reach 3 Final Fours and you're thrown out the door a mere few years later despite winning 25 games and a conference title. It's been 38 years since Wooden coached and they have one national championship since then (18 years ago with disgraced cheater Jim Harrick as coach). Before Howland, Lavin was fired after one bad year despite making the tournament his first six seasons with 4 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8. Even North Carolina has tolerated down years with Roy Williams. I don't see the Heels getting ready to fire Roy after this season in which they're a mere 8 seed.
Missed the tourney two of three years before this year, hadn't made it to the Sweet 16 since the Final Four year. A lot of things you can play with the "if game," doesn't really matter -- injuries are a part of sports. Roy Williams has won two national championships so there's a big difference, I don't think Howland gets fired if he has a national championship.

Imagine recruiting at a basketball school which has much lower academic ratings and standards than other schools within the same state? Tad could have some success at UCLA. I'd be a little worried but I think he stays.

The irony of it is their admission standards for athletes are higher than yours *cough* Jason Kidd *Cough*

Now combine that with howland's departure, despite his success, Lavin's departure, etc. There are some questions around the job for sure.

I think Tad wants to raise his family in Colorado. If it were all about the money he would be gone already. That being said, CU and Bohn cant risk complacency in regards to Boyle's conract.

I think Tad wants to raise his family in Colorado. If it were all about the money he would be gone already. That being said, CU and Bohn cant risk complacency in regards to Boyle's conract.
I agree with this completely, although UCLA is a different animal than A&M, Nebraska, K-State.

Tad is hard to read because he is a different kind of guy. He's doing it because he wants to coach, not for the money, glory, etc. He is also a guy who is tremendously dedicated to his family and loves living in Colorado.

If he moved to another school it would be because he thinks it would be a better coaching situation and he could do it while not disrupting his family. He isn't the kind of guy to use other schools offers simply to try to increase his salary or get a bigger office. He might use them to try to get things that he thinks will make a tangible difference in how he coaches (facilities, academic support, etc.) What CU has to do is make sure that Tad has what he needs to be successfull and enjoy coaching in Boulder and I think we will be fine no matter what rumors are around each year.

If he gets an offer from a school that might make him seriously consider leaving then that means that he has already put us in some sweet 16's or even final four because that's what that level of school is going to require. The UCLA job is a very good one but I don't think it would have much appeal to Tad and I don't think that he would be close to their top pick and he would know that. I don't see him going someplace where he is the consolation prize coach.

Tad grew up in Colorado, played his high school ball in Colorado, played for Kansas. He knows what a great place Colorado is to raise a family.

I agree that CU and Bohn have to do what it takes to keep Boyle.

i guess you don't know what you don't know

You're also an ASU fan. No offense, but we likely have a bit better idea of what Tad is. UCLA certainly has its appeal, we all know. Tad is also not exactly an 'LA guy' or anything close to that.

Meanwhile, looking around, Pastner is likely too inexperienced in their eyes and UCLA is likely too arrogant to hire a guy who has only been a head coach coach for 4 years, but he would be a good fit there. The talent he'd bring into Westwood...holy ****. He's got the potential to be a long term solution instead of hiring a 55 year old. If it didn't work out and they wanted to fire him after a 25 win season and conference title like they did Howland, Pastner's successor would take over a loaded roster...

i've actually known tad a long long time. check greeley central. i watched tad bet booed by the buff crowd when a group of us went to cheer him when he played at kansas. i sit in row 1 at all buff games and attended boulder and graduated. so, i dont care how many posts you have...eat ****

my only point was a ucla job would test anyone. i don't have any idea what tad is thinking but come on. we get spencer and askia and x johnson cause ucla didnt want them. im sorry but thats how most see it. dont be so defensive and accuse others of being some troll for speaking common sense.

i've actually known tad a long long time. check greeley central. i watched tad bet booed by the buff crowd when a group of us went to cheer him when he played at kansas. i sit in row 1 at all buff games and attended boulder and graduated. so, i dont care how many posts you have...eat ****

That's weird, then why are you a Sun Devil? Usually kids go to ASU when CU....we both know where I'm going with that. And we both know I'm right. So eat **** and enjoy Sendek's twitter you worthless twat.

I was in the room when Tad was born and I sit on top of the backboard at all Buff games.

my only point was a ucla job would test anyone. i don't have any idea what tad is thinking but come on. we get spencer and askia and x johnson cause ucla didnt want them. im sorry but thats how most see it. dont be so defensive and accuse others of being some troll for speaking common sense.

I think you're overestimating the lure of UCLA. I'll give you there's the money and that's always the elephant in the room. But UCLA is a pressure cooker, NCAA tournament appearances and Final 4's don't cut it. Championship's do. If you do win a championship the view is that "you should". It's UCLA. The history, the resources and the location all give off the mentality that "you should" win there. You aren't building or re-building a program, your restoring a program. And when you are tasked with restoring a program it comes with a whole different level of expectations.

Outside of the money I don't see the upside and lure of UCLA.

I think you're overestimating the lure of UCLA. I'll give you there's the money and that's always the elephant in the room. But UCLA is a pressure cooker, NCAA tournament appearances and Final 4's don't cut it. Championship's do. If you do win a championship the view is that "you should". It's UCLA. The history, the resources and the location all give off the mentality that "you should" win there. You aren't building or re-building a program, your restoring a program. And when you are tasked with restoring a program it comes with a whole different level of expectations.

My thoughts exactly

That's weird, then why are you a Sun Devil? Usually kids go to ASU when CU....we both know where I'm going with that. And we both know I'm right. So eat **** and enjoy Sendek's twitter you worthless twat.

sendek twitter? draft expert,illinois expert, all things CU and Tad , oh and internet tough guy and detective. you have a lot going on. where did you play ball?

sendek twitter? draft expert,illinois expert, all things CU and Tad , oh and internet tough guy and detective. you have a lot going on. where did you play ball?

You want to go one on one on the courts? Come at me bro. :rofl:

It's cute you read all my posts. Do they keep you up at night? Let me guess -- you averaged a triple double while playing in the NBA.

UCLA has a huge lure. Stand in Pauley and look up at the banners. It is a program that has not only won multiple national championships but has a high potential to win multiple more.

It sits in the middle of a media capital, in the middle of one of the nations richest recruiting grounds, in the middle of a bunch of alumni and supporters who can and do write big checks.

The pressure cooker is fact, they expect to compete for national championships but for many coaches that is a positive, not a negative because that is the standard they aspire to. It is the same reason why the best coaches would want to coach at UNC, Kansas, Duke, etc. they want coach at the highest level.

That all said I don't see it appealing to Tad. His Colorado ties override what UCLA offers. He loves it here, his wife and kids are happy here (she is a native as well) and he doesn't want to move them.

The issue for Colorado is if we can give him what it takes to be able to compete at the highest level before a Kansas or other program that might interest him comes calling. If we convince him that this is a place where he can cut down the nets and treat him right doing it I could see Tad becoming one of those coaches who's name is synonimous with his school, in this case CU.

I'm very very very scared. And we should all be scared. Stay home Tad!

For some reason, I really am not scared. UCLA has history and pedigree, but they have horrendous fan support. Tad is worshiped here, he likely won't be there. Plus, not a whole lot I can do about it.

Put yourself in UCLA's shoes. Specifically Guerrero's. A guy who is under fire. Not sure hiring a guy who hasn't cracked the top 4 in his conference in the regular season or made a deep tournament run is really the answer to quiet the UCLA fan base and their expectations.

You want to go one on one on the courts? Come at me bro. :rofl:

It's cute you read all my posts. Do they keep you up at night? Let me guess -- you averaged a triple double while playing in the NBA.

nice deflection but did you play? now i'm curious cause you do talk a lot of ****. ill give you respect but you started the name calling and calling me out. bitch

Back