What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCLA to seek Permission to speak to Boyle Tomorrow

While I wouldn't say that there is no chance that Tad leaves for UCLA - I wouldn't base my fears on a "reporter" who has proven that he has no inside information, and was 100% wrong about the football coaching situation.

Hopefully not enough luster for UCLA. Plus, who wants to raise their kids in awful LA? You don't want your kids to be next Kardashians do you Tad? :thumbsup:

I was told by an insider that Tad as a contract clause to leave for either UCLA or KU.

Anyone know anything to the contrary?

Boyle does not have a dream job clause in this current contract, nor has he in the past.

Hopefully not enough luster for UCLA. Plus, who wants to raise their kids in awful LA? You don't want your kids to be next Kardashians do you Tad? :thumbsup:

LA is wonderful if you have money, about 3 mill a year should do it.

I Can't find a lot of people mentioning Boyle for the UCLA job. L.A. Times indicates that VCU's Shaka Smart and Butler's Brad Stevens are the top two. (link below)

UCLA officials have already identified potential candidates.

Virginia Commonwealth's Shaka Smart and Butler's Brad Stevens top the list, according to a person familiar with the athletic department who was not authorized to speak publicly. Neither is likely to be easily pried away.

Failing that, UCLA officials may seek a former NBA coach, the person said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-ucla-howland-fired-20130325,0,2162674.story

CBS Sportsline actually has a small mention of Boyle, but he is really an afterthought after a dozen other names cited in the story (link below).

There are several legitimate candidates, with Mark Gottfried having solid booster connections at UCLA, and Tad Boyle a rising name on the West Coast. However, Washington's Romar could be the best fit.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...4/coaching-predictions-where-do-ucla-usc-turn

Oh man, Mark Gottfired to UCLA would be a disaster hire. They need a good COACH. As we discussed at numerous events at the Horse, a coaching staff of Nik, Rumblin, JG and myself could pull in a top 15 recruiting class there ("Hey, did you see the Playboy mansion is just right over there? Have you seen our dance team? We're on TV a lot you know..."). Get someone who can play an up-tempo "Showtime" style and coach, and they'd be dominant.

So of course, they're looking at Gottfried & Mike Brown...

I really don't think Boyle is the kind of coach they're looking for. He's perfect here, though.

Reed Marks: "LOOK AT ME!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!!!"

Child, please. This isn't happening -- trust me. Move along.

FWIW, their top choices seem to Donovan, Stevens, and Pitino according to their their Scout board. I'm also seeing more mention of Romar than Boyle.

It's the old logic of don't fire a guy coming off a 25 win season and conference title unless you're pretty damn well sure you can nab a great hire. Guerrero may very well botch this in a big way.

It's the old logic of don't fire a guy coming off a 25 win season and conference title unless you're pretty damn well sure you can nab a great hire. Guerrero may very well botch this in a big way.
Agreed, and they are definitely not smart enough to hire Boyle.

Even if Tad is a candidate, he's a second tiered one IMO. I doubt their fanbase wants someone who hasn't made it out of the first weekend.

Honestly not worried about Tad leaving at this point. If KU opened up tomorrow I would be a little but my guess is KU would still go after a bigger name at this point. Tad is rising but is not "blue blood" level yet.

And I am less worried about KU with each passing year regardless of the job Boyle does. Self and Boyle are about the same age so by the time Self is ready to step down at KU then Boyle will probably be at the end of his career as well.

Not trying to start a panic or anything, but per the latest "big board" article on the Bruins Scout site, Boyle is on the list of nine names they talk about. The good news is they talk about him in the context of an "extreme backup option." The bad news is they do say they have some sources indicating that a feeling out contact has been made, and most of the other names on top of their list are fairly ridiculous (particularly if Stevens isn't interested in the West Coast). In addition to Stevens and the already pie in the sky attempts at Pitino and Donovan (though they're claiming some interest from all 3 guys...at least through their reps), they now have Bill Self on that list. They claim to have sources that say there has been initial contact with his people as well, though they do at least admit they don't think its likely to go anywhere.

Mod's not sure if this is should be embargoed as premium info or Barziled, I don't think its anything that wasn't already out there other then adding Self to the list of swing for the fences candidates.

Last edited:
I had heard the Bill Self rumor too.

Personally, I think UCLA fans are out of touch with their program if they think Self or Donovan are going to leave their programs for UCLA. It's a desirable job, but not to the extent that a Top 10 coach is going to want to be there.

Anyone listen to the Vic Lombardi show on Infinity radio tonight? Supposedly his guest was Boyle and he was gonna ask him about UCLA rumors

"Anyone listen to the Vic Lombardi show on Infinity radio tonight? Supposedly his guest was Boyle and he was gonna ask him about UCLA rumors"

Boyle said "I'll say this: I don't publicly comment on other jobs when I already have a job. All I will say is I love being the coach of Colorado. I'm blessed and humbled and honored to be the coach here."

Reed Marks lost a lot of cred in my book with his Tweet. Cred he gained when he was helping with the Embree fiasco.

I'd not be surprised if the Boyle name gets into that discussion above that SuperD refers to simply by someone reading something somewhere, that was third hand.

UCLA wants to go after a big name and they will go after some big names. I think the job has some cache and may be attractive to some guys that will surprise some. They need to fill some seats as well. Howland has the wrong style and really struck out, despite his success before UCLA. The guy has absolutely no charisma. Tad Boyle is more likeable, but he's not the kind of guy that will coach 5-star one-and-done guys as well as some others.

"Anyone listen to the Vic Lombardi show on Infinity radio tonight? Supposedly his guest was Boyle and he was gonna ask him about UCLA rumors"

Boyle said "I'll say this: I don't publicly comment on other jobs when I already have a job. All I will say is I love being the coach of Colorado. I'm blessed and humbled and honored to be the coach here."

I wish all coaches had that level of integrity.

Too often, they're either lying about their current place being a dream job they'd never leave (while their agent plays the field for them) or telling anyone who will listen that they have no interest in any job opening they get mentioned for (while their agent works behind the scenes to get their name mentioned even though there's been no actual contact or interest from the school that's looking for a coach - the "Houston Nutt").

I wish they'd all be like Tad. We understand it's a business. We understand that just like in our own careers, you never say never and you also don't sh1t where you live. I've got a lot of respect for his professionalism in this. Great lesson for all the younger folks on here who haven't started their careers or are just getting started.

I had heard the Bill Self rumor too.

Personally, I think UCLA fans are out of touch with their program if they think Self or Donovan are going to leave their programs for UCLA. It's a desirable job, but not to the extent that a Top 10 coach is going to want to be there.
If I had a bunch of money, I would rather live in LA than Lawrence or Gainesville. BUT - I don't think these guys care that much and UCLA is a risk. It's still a primo job, but it's much better for a Smart or a Stevens. I would be surprised if they get a guy from a major program. But you never know what makes people tick. I think Few would be a good fit. This season should demonstrate to him that he has some serious limitations at Gonzaga.

Last edited:
It's not a risk. It's in LA. It's a top 5 program tradition wise. And most importantly, they've been down even though they get the recruits they want.

A good coach will come in there and have them near the top year in and year out with ZERO risk of downside. Nobody will ever repeat what Wooden did there, but that's no longer the bar to be measured by.

Howland had some initial success as he took over a program that didn't have elite guys and his style worked better. Once he elevated the recruiting to that next level, his system wasn't as effective (I think 'Nik pointed this out earlier - and it's absolutely correct). Wrong guy with wrong style for UCLA.

I could totally see a Rick Pitino taking this job. LA is glitz. This isn't Louisville. Someone like Pitino elevates UCLA higher than Louisville could ever get. Only a huge personality can handle these bratty young one-and-done types.

There's the LA glitz, but in places like Lawrence you're worshipped. You draw 20k fans (and could draw 75k if it was possible). Packed midnight madness. You're the coach of THE program in that state. Minds are on basketball 24/7 365. Meanwhile at UCLA you're coaching a program that struggles with attendance and fans that can't be bothered to show support at the conference tournament or elsewhere. It's clearly one of the most "name" jobs in the country, but I don't buy that it's on par with coaching Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina or Duke in the present day as it stands. That's not to say it can't be returned to that -- you see it elsewhere, look at Alabama football. How easy it is to forget where the Tide were a decade ago.

I do agree about Pitino. Historically, Louisville has definitely had a ceiling and UCLA does present a chance to get to a level that wasn't possible to reach at Louisville. However, joining the ACC may change that "ceiling" for Louisville.

Last edited:
LA is definitely a Lakers town first. But that also makes it a basketball town. The important thing in that town is that you have to make a sporting event the place to see and be seen. UCLA has the capability of accomplishing that, but you need a guy in basketball like what Pete Carroll was in football. Win a ton while also opening practices to celebs and famous alums, getting them to games, etc.

It's not a risk. It's in LA. It's a top 5 program tradition wise. And most importantly, they've been down even though they get the recruits they want.

A good coach will come in there and have them near the top year in and year out with ZERO risk of downside. Nobody will ever repeat what Wooden did there, but that's no longer the bar to be measured by.

Howland had some initial success as he took over a program that didn't have elite guys and his style worked better. Once he elevated the recruiting to that next level, his system wasn't as effective (I think 'Nik pointed this out earlier - and it's absolutely correct). Wrong guy with wrong style for UCLA.

I could totally see a Rick Pitino taking this job. LA is glitz. This isn't Louisville. Someone like Pitino elevates UCLA higher than Louisville could ever get. Only a huge personality can handle these bratty young one-and-done types.
Might want to ask every coach since Wooden if it's a risk or not. Wooden is completely the bar, you are judged by there. They are living in the past. At only a handful of other schools does Howland get fired with the exact same resume.

I don't see why Self, Pitino, or Donovan would leave especially the latter two having zero head coaching experience west of the Rockies. Only Pitino I believe has coached west of the Rockies and that was in Hawaii. And really Pitino could elevate UCLA higher than he could ever get at Louisville, he's made the Final Four multiple times there. If it's so easy to win national championships at UCLA, why haven't they done so more than once in nearly four decades? They'd all be leaving relatively safe situations for a place where you are expected to have instant success, expected to sustain the eliteness, and given a very small room for error. Only a handful of other jobs do you have these kind of expectations with Kentucky being the clear other. I want to say Kansas also, but I haven't seen a coach struggle there in the modern times. I guess you could say UNC based on Doherty, but I'm not 100% if that apply in every situation, since it wasn't just wins/losses, he had alienated many in Chapel Hill. Maybe Duke as well?

There's the LA glitz, but in places like Lawrence you're worshipped. You draw 20k fans (and could draw 75k if it was possible). Packed midnight madness. You're the coach of THE program in that state. Minds are on basketball 24/7 365. Meanwhile at UCLA you're coaching a program that struggles with attendance and fans that can't be bothered to show support at the conference tournament or elsewhere. It's clearly one of the most "name" jobs in the country, but I don't buy that it's on par with coaching Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina or Duke in the present day as it stands. That's not to say it can't be returned to that -- you see it elsewhere, look at Alabama football. How easy it is to forget where the Tide were a decade ago.

I do agree about Pitino. Historically, Louisville has definitely had a ceiling and UCLA does present a chance to get to a level that wasn't possible to reach at Louisville. However, joining the ACC may change that "ceiling" for Louisville.
Disagree on Louisville "ceiling" but I totally agree with your Bama comparison.

I do think Kentucky/UK are programs on their footing given they are the main attractions in their states. You have so much competition in LA, people just don't live/die with UCLA basketball like they do at those schools.

Back