What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Uh oh... (Damiene Cain)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK

UBL
Per Thorburn
Colorado freshman basketball recruit Damiene Cain has decided not to play for the #cubuffs. More at buffzone.com soon.

Damien Cain No Longer A Buff

Jens mentioned this in his recruiting thread, but I thought it deserved mention over here.

Ryan Thorburn:

Colorado freshman basketball recruit Damiene Cain has decided not to play for the #cubuffs. More at buffzone.com soon.

Wow.

EDIT - UBL beat me to it, so I merged the threads (and slightly modified his title).

Interesting. I was looking forward to seeing him play. I hope he doesn't have anything going on at home. I guess I'll just have to wait for the story instead of speculating.

Saw the whole team together last night. Didn't realize it at the time but he wasn't with them.

Good luck, Damiene. Hope this decision works out for you and you kick ass in the class room!

This. Bummed because I thought he was going to be a huge help for the team, but he has his priorities straight.

Best of luck, Damiene. If you didn't think you could do both, you made the right choice.

So I assume this means we have his scholly to fill now?

Yup. And that explains a few things that I was wondering about what was going on with this year's recruiting class that 'Nik and others had mentioned on here. Wonder if Chad Rykhoek just became a higher priority.

This rules out redshirting Mills.

Not necessarily. It does make it less likely, though.

I still think we'll be much better off if we get a year's separation between him and Harris-Tunks. Eckloff needs to step up as a senior and be able to give us 5 minutes of hustle a night to go with another 5-10 minutes of small ball. We can go without Mills.

It's actually surprising that this doesn't happen more often.

These kids get started playing AAU ball at early ages and between club ball and their HS teams end up playing in excess of 10 months a year. This means sacrificing hanging out with friends, family vacations, participating in other sports, clubs, etc.

I think a lot more of these kids are burned out on the game than admit it. The game becomes their identity and they continue because they don't want to let down the people who support them. It is certain that a certain number of guys who don't make it academically or have other issues could trace it to not being happy with the time and demands of playing basketball.

If Damien's heart isn't into playing ball and he has a solid alternative, which it sounds like he does, then he is making a smart move for him. I wonder if after a year away from the game he doesn't decide that he actually wants to play and either looks at playing for the Buffs or goes to a lower division program where he can play the game but focus on his other priorities.

i dont think this is over either...i think if he gets into a good rhythm with academics he could rejoin the team and would probably be welcomed with open arms

I guess this could fall under overwhelmed by first couple weeks of college academics. Could get better for him.

sucks for us as fans of CU hoops. but, really, go for it DC. it's just 4 years of your life. make the most of it. i see too many kids not give a ****....and a college degree doesn't really mean any more than you make it.

we'd love to see you play for Colorado but times are times....

Not necessarily. It does make it less likely, though.

I still think we'll be much better off if we get a year's separation between him and Harris-Tunks. Eckloff needs to step up as a senior and be able to give us 5 minutes of hustle a night to go with another 5-10 minutes of small ball. We can go without Mills.

I always forget about Eckloff. Add him in and we might be able to get away with redshirting Mills. I'm 100% with you on we'd be better off doing it (not only to get the separation, but because Mills himself could use the extra year), but I'm just not sure it's possible without Cain. The good news is that off of the top of my head the only conference team we have to deal with that has a great frontcourt is UCLA, so we could survive going small at times.

Roberson will be playing some more minutes at the 4 too.

Multiple reports that it is actually medical issues (undisclosed).

If it's a medical issue then karma to Damiene.

If it's confirmed that he quit basketball to "focus on academics" then a JRK rant will ensue.

So how much of a blow is this to the basketball team?

Tough to say since no one knows how good he would have ended up being.

This year it's a blow because we now don't have as much depth or size but in the long term it's probably not a huge loss assuming we add a quality player with the scholarship.

If it's confirmed that he quit basketball to "focus on academics" then a JRK rant will ensue.
Why? I LOVE sports and take them probably too seriously but a degree is something that can last a lifetime and improve your quality of life tenfold. Basketball, while there is the NBA and D leagues, is no sure fire thing, and is a rather short time of your life. If he feels he can't do both, focus on academics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back